Worst Job: Travel Agent In Pallyworld

JStone

Rookie
Jun 29, 2011
:nono:
Forbidden Love On Gaza Beach
It seems Palestine, too, has taken a more conservative approach towards local tourists and residents going to the beach, walking along Gaza shores and showing public display of affection. Apparently, Hamas police attempted to arrest 26-year-old freelance reporter Asma al-Ghoul walking with a man along the Gaza beach. The group of friends consisted of two women and three men passing time, walking on the northern Gaza shore.

Miss al-Ghoul was picked up by police on charges of indecent clothing and behavior. On the night of the arrest, she was wearing jeans and T-shirt - attire that is considered fairly provocative in Gaza’s conservative society and which could have easily attracted the attention of the plain-clothed Hamas vice police who patrol the beaches. She also swam in pants, fully dressed, with a girlfriend. Al-Ghoul’s male friends were beaten by Hamas police, kept in jail for several hours and asked to sign statements saying they would not violate public moral standards again, she said. The incident came as a surprise, worst yet, as shock to Palestinians who, for the first time were told about the news and apparent new Islamic law imposed by Hamas on the coastal area.

According to local news, this incident was the first time Hamas has openly tried to punish a woman for behaving in a way it views as un-Islamic since seizing power two years ago. The incident follows months of quiet pressure on Gaza’s overwhelmingly conservative 1.4 million residents to abide by its strict religious mores. The Hamas even ordered shop-owners to tear down ads showing silhouettes of women's bodies on display and pull lingerie off the shelves.

Ironically, the Islamic hardliner’s stance comes to fore – a “culture” imported from ultra-conservative Saudi Arabia (where couples/ lovers innocently strolling on the beach or streets risk getting arrested by the religious police or Mutawa), while Gaza’s beaches are promoted to boost local tourism.

Not long ago, after Gaza’s disengagement, Palestinian tourism experts pinned their hopes high on internal or domestic tourism. One way of tapping the numbers on the Strip was to reintroduce Gaza’s beaches to the people of Palestine. Beaches were getting a lot of attention at the time.
Palestine Tourism Forbidden love on Gaza beach - eTurboNews.com

I don't get your point with this thread....that not many people go on holiday in a war zone?

If Palestine ever does become a safer place to visit, it'll have huge tourist potential. Stunning beaches in Gaza, and a lot to see in cities like Jericho and Ramallah. I've spent a bit of time on beaches just north of Gaza, and would like to travel down that coast some day.

• Banned
I don't get your point with this thread....that not many people go on holiday in a war zone?

If Palestine ever does become a safer place to visit, it'll have huge tourist potential. Stunning beaches in Gaza, and a lot to see in cities like Jericho and Ramallah. I've spent a bit of time on beaches just north of Gaza, and would like to travel down that coast some day.

Maybe I missed it, but, where is this fictional land of palestine found in the Old Testament, New Testament or Quran?

All I see is Israel, about 2500 times

Maybe I missed it - but where do Canada, Italy or Germany appear in the bible?

Germany, as a concept, did not exist until 1871 - making it by any standard around a millenium younger than Palestine. Ditto Italy, and ditto Canada.

No one questions that Palestinian Arabs have lived in towns like Acco, Ramallah and Jaffa for well over a thousand years, and for much of that thousand years formed more than 90% of the local population of that land.

• Banned

Germany, as a concept, did not exist until 1871 - making it by any standard around a millenium younger than Palestine. Ditto Italy, and ditto Canada.

No one questions that Palestinian Arabs have lived in towns like Acco, Ramallah and Jaffa for well over a thousand years, and for much of that thousand years formed more than 90% of the local population of that land.

Were Canada, Italy or Germany located in the Near East during Biblical times?

• Banned

You have an archaeological record of any ancient "Palestinian Arab" civilization in Israel?

No, I didn't think so. Now, run along.

JStone -

Congratulations on having what was not a particularly difficult point to get.

NO nation states existed in the time of the bible. Not one.

Most cities and regions mentioned in the bible never became nation states.

Hence, using the bible as the basis for the legitimacy of nation states is about as much use as using the bible as a basis for buying iPads or sneakers.

Again - Palestinians haved lived in the Levant for well over 1,000 years, during which time they formed more than 90% of the population. If you do not consider this a basis for the formation of a legitimate state, please explain why you do consider Italy to be legitimate.

You have an archaeological record of any ancient "Palestinian Arab" civilization in Israel?

No, I didn't think so. Now, run along.

Yes, of course!!!

At Akko, at Jericho and at Jaffa there are archeological records dating back well over 1,000 years. Also at Sidon and Tyre in Southern Lebanon.

• Banned
JStone -

Congratulations on having what was not a particularly difficult point to get.

NO nation states existed in the time of the bible. Not one.

Most cities and regions mentioned in the bible never became nation states.

Hence, using the bible as the basis for the legitimacy of nation states is about as much use as using the bible as a basis for buying iPads or sneakers.

Again - Palestinians haved lived in the Levant for well over 1,000 years, during which time they formed more than 90% of the population. If you do not consider this a basis for the formation of a legitimate state, please explain why you do consider Italy to be legitimate.

You were supposed to provide an archaeological record for this fictional ancient palestinian arab civilization in Israel.

Whatcha got, champ? If nothing, then ,just run along and we'll call it a FAIL

Well, this text dates Akko back to around 3,000 BC. Is that old enough for you?!

"The port city of Akko (also known as Acre) is located on a promontory at the northern end of Haifa Bay. The earliest city was founded during the Bronze Age at Tel Akko (in Arabic Tel el-Fukhar mound of the potsherds), just east of the present-day city. Akko is mentioned in ancient written sources as an important city on the northern coast of the Land of Israel. The wealth of finds, including remains of fortifications uncovered in the excavations at Tel Akko, attest to the long and uninterrupted occupation of the site during biblical times.

The ancient site of Akko was abandoned during the Hellenistic period. A new city named Ptolemais, surrounded by a fortified wall, was built on the site of present-day Akko. The Romans improved and enlarged the natural harbor in the southern part of the city, and constructed a breakwater, thus making it one of the main ports on the eastern Mediterranean coast."

wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age

Well, this text dates Akko back to around 3,000 BC. Is that old enough for you?!

"The port city of Akko (also known as Acre) is located on a promontory at the northern end of Haifa Bay. The earliest city was founded during the Bronze Age at Tel Akko (in Arabic Tel el-Fukhar mound of the potsherds), just east of the present-day city. Akko is mentioned in ancient written sources as an important city on the northern coast of the Land of Israel. The wealth of finds, including remains of fortifications uncovered in the excavations at Tel Akko, attest to the long and uninterrupted occupation of the site during biblical times.

The ancient site of Akko was abandoned during the Hellenistic period. A new city named Ptolemais, surrounded by a fortified wall, was built on the site of present-day Akko. The Romans improved and enlarged the natural harbor in the southern part of the city, and constructed a breakwater, thus making it one of the main ports on the eastern Mediterranean coast."

wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age

You're giving me much gibberish, but archaeological evidence not so much.

Wikipedia does not constitute historical scholarship.

You came to a gun fight armed merely with a pocket knife.

JStone -

How much archeological evidence would you like, and in what format?

Would you prefer I suggest academic books, post my own pictures, or link to perhaps 10 or 12 archeological sites which confirm my points?

JStone -

How much archeological evidence would you like, and in what format?

Would you prefer I suggest academic books, post my own pictures, or link to perhaps 10 or 12 archeological sites which confirm my points?

I'll save you the time since you're clueless: No archaeological record even exists of an Arab civilization prior to Islam in the 7th century CE, 1500+ years past the Biblical period.

Last edited:
JStone -

Personally I've been to a good 15 or 12 Arabic sites which date back far, far further than that. There really is absolutely no question at all that the Levant was widely settled as far back as the Stone Age.

Ever heard of Petra?

How old would you say that is, because I would say 6th century BC?

How about Palmyra, because I'd say 2nd millenium BC?

I assume you have been to both - do they look 7th century AD to you?!

No archaeological record even exists of an Arab civilization prior to Islam in the 7th century CE, 1500+ years past the Biblical period.

There is evidence that Sidon was inhabited as long ago as 4000 B.C., and perhaps as early as Neolithic times (6000 - 4000 B.C.). The ancient city was built on a promontory facing an island, which sheltered its fleet from storms and served as a refuge during military incursions from the interior. In its wealth, commercial initiative, and religious significance, Sidon is said to have surpassed all other Phoenician city states.

Sidon

JStone -

Personally I've been to a good 15 or 12 Arabic sites which date back far, far further than that. There really is absolutely no question at all that the Levant was widely settled as far back as the Stone Age.

Ever heard of Petra?

How old would you say that is, because I would say 6th century BC?

How about Palmyra, because I'd say 2nd millenium BC?

I assume you have been to both - do they look 7th century AD to you?!

No archaeological record exists for any Arab civilization prior to the [arabic] quran ca. 7th century CE either in Israel or elsewhere

OTOH, the earliest parts of the Hebrew Bible date to ca 1000 BCE. The Rabs and muslimes were late to the scene

The fact is, your so-called palestinian arabs are merely arabs from saudi arabia and egypt most of whom moved to Israel during the 20th century to suck off Jewish prosperity and modernity.

Last edited:
JStone -

Rather than just repeat the same myths that you must realise yourself are not true - please present evidence.

I have presented evidence of Arabic inhabitation in the Levant dating back 4,000 years. Let's see you establish why that evidence should be disregarded.

btw. You state that the earliest parts of the Hebrew bible date back to 1,000 BCE. Actually, Jewish inhabitation in the area is much, much older. Jews have lived in Jericho and in Jerusalem since at least 1,500 BCE.

No archaeological record even exists of an Arab civilization prior to Islam in the 7th century CE, 1500+ years past the Biblical period.

There is evidence that Sidon was inhabited as long ago as 4000 B.C., and perhaps as early as Neolithic times (6000 - 4000 B.C.). The ancient city was built on a promontory facing an island, which sheltered its fleet from storms and served as a refuge during military incursions from the interior. In its wealth, commercial initiative, and religious significance, Sidon is said to have surpassed all other Phoenician city states.

Sidon

The Phoenicians were not Arabs.

Last edited:

The Phoenicians are the forefathers of the Palestinians.

Like their Syrian and Lebanese cousins, Palestinians ancestry is directly linked to both the Phoenicians and Canaanites, with a few other smaller groups mixed in. Some consider Phoenicians to be Canaanites, others say otherwise.

It is impossibly to really lock down these groups in terms of time or place; borders moved back and forth, some groups migrated, some groups expanded in numbers while others declined.

But what we know is that the area between Jaffa and Sidon has been permanantly inhabited by some mix of these people for 4,000 years. There is no shortage of evidence of this, as I assume you have seen yourself when you have been in the area. You have been to the area, right?

The Phoenicians are the forefathers of the Palestinians.

Like their Syrian and Lebanese cousins, Palestinians ancestry is directly linked to both the Phoenicians and Canaanites, with a few other smaller groups mixed in. Some consider Phoenicians to be Canaanites, others say otherwise.

It is impossibly to really lock down these groups in terms of time or place; borders moved back and forth, some groups migrated, some groups expanded in numbers while others declined.

But what we know is that the area between Jaffa and Sidon has been permanantly inhabited by some mix of these people for 4,000 years. There is no shortage of evidence of this, as I assume you have seen yourself when you have been in the area. You have been to the area, right?

Nonsense. "Palestinians" are Arabs who originated from Arabia.

Eminent Archaeologist and Historian, former Fulbright Scholar Eric Cline...
The claims that modern Palestinians are descended from the ancient Jebusites are madewithout any supporting evidence. Historians and archaeologists have generally concluded that most, if not all, modern Palestinians are probably more closely related to the Arabs of Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan and other countries than they are to the ancient Jebusites, Canaanites or Philistines.

Rashid Khalidi, Professor of Modern Arab Studies, Columbia University, Director of Columbia University's Middle East Institute and advisor to various Arab groups...
There is a relatively recent tradition which argues that Palestinian nationalism has deep historical roots. As with other national movements, extreme advocates of this view anachronistically read back into the history of Palestine over the past few centuries a nationalist consciousness and identity that are in fact relatively modern. Among the manifestations of this outlook are a predilection for seeing in peoples such as the Canaanites, Jebusites and Philistines the lineal ancestors of the modern Palestinians.

Eminent Middle East Historian Bernard Lewis
By [Arabs, "Palestinians"] bypassing the Biblical Israelites and claiming kinship with the Canaanites, it is possible to assert a historical claim antedating the biblical promise and possession put forward by the Jews. This line of argument isaccompanied by the common practice in Arab countries, in textbook, museums and exhibitions of minimizing the Jewish role in ancient history or, more frequently, presenting it in very negative terms.

In terms of scholarship as distinct from politics, there is no evidence whatsoever for the assertion that the Canaanites were Arabs ["Palestiniains"].

Last edited:

Forum List

Back