Worst fireseason in recorded history

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Chris, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
  2. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251

Yep and as more and more people move into the areas effected it will only get worse, But I assume you are using this of more proof we are all going to die from GW soon right?

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Terrible fires. Coming from a country that lives with them I can only wish the fireighters and citizens can get on top of these fires. Forget the politics, bushfires are endemic to certain terrains and California is one of them. Where I live our biggest forest industries use pinus radiata (you call it Monterey Pine) which we imported from California, so we know what it's like when fire takes hold in those forests.

4. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    The point is Fires have always been a problem in So Cal. It is only now that so many people live there that we always hear about them. Also many of the fires are found to be arson or started by people on accident.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Yes, southen California (and Arizona and Nevada) have very similar topography to where I live (most of my state is arid land but some of it further south is reasonably lush) and bushfires are endemic here. In fact bushfires are necessary for regeneration of certain plants (not the poor animals though).

More population means more effect means more chances of some idiot deliberately lighting a fire on a 43c day in the middle of summer as well as some idiot using a machine in a paddock and starting a fire that way from sparks.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

One can certainly assume that this is proof that California is having a terrible year for forest fires.

320 active forest fires?

I realize that California is a big place, but if we had 320 active forest fires in the whole of New England, it would be pretty damned monumental disaster.

I realize that much of CA isn't nearly as heavily forested in most areas of the East, but holy shit, that's a lot of fires even if it's just burning scrub.

7. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    California is drier now than at anytime in recorded history. In June there were 1,500 fires burning most started by lightening storms. And there is this from the article I posted.....

"Officials say more fires have been burning at one time this year than during any other period in recorded California history.

"This is truly a national disaster. The magnitude is incredible," said Daniel Berlant, a state fire agency spokesman.

U.S. Forest Service spokesman Jason Kirchner said firefighters have spent hundreds of millions of dollars fighting the blazes, and that doesn't include the economic cost to businesses, tourism and agriculture, or the impact on air and water quality.

Officials warn the state could suffer a lot more because fire danger is typically highest in Southern California in the fall, when hot dry wind could scour hillsides desiccated by a two-year drought.

"The ground is set for some really horrific events, bigger than we've seen so far," Max Mortiz, co-director of the University of California Center for Fire Research & Outreach. The conditions show a need for more research into the patterns of weather, wind and geography that could show where fires are likely to flare into infernos, he added."

8. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Yet globally, droughts are on the decline, when looking at the last 100 years.

9. maneal

maneal Conservative Commentator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Here is part of the reason why Cali is seeing an even worse drought this year:

I am looking for the ruling to post. Rush has it right. Environmentalists and their unintended consequences.

10. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I wonder why we have such a bad drought down here? Could be lack of rain I think.