Worst Boss Ever or My Hero

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Firing contest by boss leads employees to quit | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

A Bettendorf businessman, branded as the “boss from hell” by some of his employees, offered prizes to workers who could predict which of them would next be fired.

“Here’s how the game will work: We are doubling our secret-shopper efforts, and your store will be visited during the day and at night several times a week. Secret shoppers will be looking for cashiers wearing a hat, talking on a cell phone, not wearing a QC Mart shirt, having someone hanging around/behind the counter, and/or a personal car parked by the pumps after 7 p.m., among other things.

So the guy was giving his employees fair warning that they were going to be subject to secret shoppers so as to give them all a chance to comply to company rules.

If any of those people get fired it's their own fault. And if anyone quit because if the game then tough shit you get no unemployment.

yes many times you are given things to look for.....if the company suspects something is wrong....

but still its just basic customer service...not being on the cell...not being on the computer....not ignoring the customer

yes many times you are given things to look for.....if the company suspects something is wrong....

but still its just basic customer service...not being on the cell...not being on the computer....not ignoring the customer

And the lazy ass whiny employees took umbrage at the contest.

I saw the contest as fair warning for people to be able to keep their jobs.

I walked out of a major sporting good store last week because I couldn't get any customer service and 5 employee were with 30 feet and standing there with their hands in their pockets. Adios, won't go back.

Well it certainly is divisive and reflects a lack of leadership on the managers part.

Well it certainly is divisive and reflects a lack of leadership on the managers part.

So making sure your employees are following company policy is a lack of leadership?

I would love a boss like that. This wasn't a surprise gotcha inspection. He gave them all fair warning and the possibility of winning a bonus for following company policy.

Not sure why anyone would be upset to actually keep the companies policies. Its not like they are asking for them to do anything illegal.

Forum List

Back