Worlds oldest ship found

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
'Oldest intact wreck' found in Black Sea

_103972641_ship.jpg

A Greek merchant ship dating back more than 2,400 years has been found lying on its side off the Bulgarian coast.

The 23m (75ft) wreck, found in the Black Sea by an Anglo-Bulgarian team, is being hailed as officially the world's oldest known intact shipwreck.

The researchers were stunned to find the merchant vessel closely resembled in design a ship that decorated ancient Greek wine vases.

Wow. I went to the Viking museum in Oslo a few years back and they had a full size longboat. It was amazing. But this must be 1500 years older.

_103972641_ship.jpg

A Greek merchant ship dating back more than 2,400 years has been found lying on its side off the Bulgarian coast.

The 23m (75ft) wreck, found in the Black Sea by an Anglo-Bulgarian team, is being hailed as officially the world's oldest known intact shipwreck.

The researchers were stunned to find the merchant vessel closely resembled in design a ship that decorated ancient Greek wine vases.

Wow. I went to the Viking museum in Oslo a few years back and they had a full size longboat. It was amazing. But this must be 1500 years older.
Very cool. I can't believe it lasted so long. The Titanic is said to have less than 20 years left before bacteria erases it.

Teredo worms attack and devour organic matter in salt water within a couple of decades but do not exist in fresh water. That's why vintage War of 1812 ships are relatively intact deep in the Great Lakes but the Lakes were only active for the last two hundred years. Apparently the Black Sea is different. A deep water chemical death zone has preserved ancient ships for thousands of years..

Teredo worms attack and devour organic matter in salt water within a couple of decades but do not exist in fresh water. That's why vintage War of 1812 ships are relatively intact deep in the Great Lakes but the Lakes were only active for the last two hundred years. Apparently the Black Sea is different. A deep water chemical death zone has preserved ancient ships for thousands of years..

I think it also has a higher level of fresh water down towards the bottom as well.

Amazing that the mast is intact. And seemingly odd in its rearward position. I wonder what other artifacts might be present?

_103972641_ship.jpg

Beautiful, Tommy. Thanks for sharing.

I recall an article where they found a ship dating to the 1,600's in the Great Lakes, a French ship, iirc. A galley of some sort.

here's the story; I knew I wasn't dreaming it.

Lake Michigan shipwreck may be 335-year-old Le Griffon, researcher claims - NY Daily News

Can't find any updates on it after 2014, though, so maybe it was found not to be that old after all. The Wiki article is being disputed, and I found this update article, from 2015:

Four reasons why the Frankfort-area shipwreck can't be the Griffin

Last edited:

Forum List

Back