World's most harmfully divisive demographic?

Which demographic is the most harmfully divisive?

• Total voters
and social justice is taking it away from the haves and giving it to the have nots ?

Sometimes, yes, that is exactly what it takes.

Usually it is nothing more than giving people equal opportunity to get their fair share of the pie.

The herd hates you.

The herd hates whomsoever they're told to hate, gunny. If you were a USMC Gunny, I am drop dead certain you must already know that.

Quote:
Should they have been too polite to upset us by to complain about their plight, or something?

Well it is the English way after all.

Yes, there's nothing like a stiff upper lip agumented by a strong Navy to make one appear unflappable, is there?

Not really any more interesting than your question itself, nor the choices you have made available.

For instance, had you given "intolerance" as a choice, I'd have picked it in a minute. None of your choices are a problem without it.

That's the first time I've ever heard tolerance level described as a demographic.

Tolerance is the one denominator common to all the differences. While class may be inherently divisive, it is not inherently harmfully divisive. Intolerance STILL has to come into play in order for it to be harmful.

Class is not a global constant, either. Class is usually defined at the national/societal/regional level.

Of all of mankind's social institutions, religion has probably been the most intolerant of all. More human beings have been killed in the name of religion and it's related culture, than any other purpose. Next in line is the pursuit of natural resources.

It all boils down to the us vs. them mentality. The closest you come with your choices is class, which encompasses all the other choices.

Silly question, really, even excusing you for leaving out gender.

Evolution is what it is.

I didn't include gender because I didn't think anyone would be silly enough to view gender as a harmfully divisive demographic. Not at lot of wars waged, genocide, terrorism or otherwise blood spilled in the name of gender. I didn't include age either. If that offends any of you old timers, I'm truly sorry. :doubt:

I didn't include gender because I didn't think anyone would be silly enough to view gender as a harmfully divisive demographic. Not at lot of wars waged, genocide, terrorism or otherwise blood spilled in the name of gender. I didn't include age either. If that offends any of you old timers, I'm truly sorry. :doubt:

Define "harmfully".

editec said:
The herd hates whomsoever they're told to hate, gunny. If you were a USMC Gunny, I am drop dead certain you must already know that.
I am Gungnir, not GunnyL. Gungnir was the spear of Odin. And yes I am aware of herd behavior. Though I do think we are tending towards swarm behavior now.

Yes, there's nothing like a stiff upper lip agumented by a strong Navy to make one appear unflappable, is there?
:clap2: Exactly.

Tolerance is the one denominator common to all the differences. While class may be inherently divisive, it is not inherently harmfully divisive. Intolerance STILL has to come into play in order for it to be harmful.

Class is not a global constant, either. Class is usually defined at the national/societal/regional level.
I would agree with tolerance too Gunny. But I'd also add, tolerance can have limits.

Class is poor people seeing what rich people have and not being able to obtain it. Tolerance isn't the solution for that... .social justice is.
Social justice as in what Jill, "communism?" Punish the hard working, reward the lazy? That's what redistribution of wealth is.

Last edited:

In parts of the world women have to cover up from head to toe, have permission by their "owners" to do anything...Blood? in China and India baby girls have long been considered useless and either killed outright or sold. And then there's that genital mutilation thing.

You really can't be serious.

In parts of the world women have to cover up from head to toe, have permission by their "owners" to do anything...Blood? in China and India baby girls have long been considered useless and either killed outright or sold. And then there's that genital mutilation thing.

Yes Ravi,

I was thinking the same thing and over all of time, till the present, I think that gender discrimination and abuse has been one of the most destructive things in all of our different cultures, crossing all race or colors....nationalities....even religions.....

And the most oppressive societies left in the world today are still the ones that treat their women and think of women as LESS, THAN that of a man....muslims for one, the Chinese for another.... :(

Care

And another thing I was wondering, since it was Sunday and all.....( hahahaha) is how does:

"The love of money IS the ROOT of all evil...." fit in to all of this? :D

doesn't fit? not sure myself....lol

Care

Nation, can't believe I am first to select it. Consider imperialism, consider the fundamental piece that unites people for good or evil or that excludes the other.

Nation, can't believe I am first to select it. Consider imperialism, consider the fundamental piece that unites people for good or evil or that excludes the other.

i am not sure of that midcan because IF we were satisfied with our own Nation and sovereignty, and all others felt the same about their nation and their sovereignty, similar to what has gone on in recent history, like in Europe they all seem to get along ok, then there would be no need for wars....it is Nation ''building''.....trying to grow bigger, and better and richer in resources than what was God give by Nature to them that causes the problems and that can boil down to greed....or...a form of ''the love of money''...

and as with what Gunny had pointed out, a form of "pride" only in the negative sense of intollerance is present in near all of the demographic groups shich was listed above....

And when you think about it, nothing is wrong with religion, or with different races or with different nationalities etc, unless you put one of the 7 deadly personal sins so to say, in there with the demographic listed...imho.

Care

Last edited:
Yes Ravi,

I was thinking the same thing and over all of time, till the present, I think that gender discrimination and abuse has been one of the most destructive things in all of our different cultures, crossing all race or colors....nationalities....even religions.....

And the most oppressive societies left in the world today are still the ones that treat their women and think of women as LESS, THAN that of a man....muslims for one, the Chinese for another.... :(

Care

Yep. There have been horrible atrocities committed for many reasons, certainly what was done to the Jews by Germany, et al, and the enslavement of blacks. But the mistreatment of women simply because they are women has been pervasive throughout recorded history and IMO qualifies to be on the list of most divisive issues.

You can study history and find snapshots of mistreatment though out time, remember what the Taliban was up to before we invaded?
While in power in Afghanistan, the Taliban became notorious internationally within the Western Community for their treatment of women. Their stated aim was to create "secure environments where the chasteness and dignity of women may once again be sacrosanct."<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Maley_2-0">[3]</sup> The way women were treated was reportedly based on Pashtunwali beliefs about living in purdah.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Marsden_3-0">[4]</sup>
Women were forced to wear the burqa in public, because, according to a Taliban spokesman, "the face of a woman is a source of corruption" for men not related to them. <sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Gohari_4-0">[5]</sup> They were not allowed to work. They were not allowed to be educated after the age of eight, and until then were permitted only to study the Qur'an. Women seeking an education were forced to attend underground schools such as the Golden Needle Sewing School, where they and their teachers risked execution if caught. They were not allowed to be treated by male doctors unless accompanied by a male chaperone, which led to illnesses remaining untreated. They faced public flogging<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-5">[6]</sup> and execution for violations of the Taliban's laws.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-physicians_6-0">[7]</sup> <sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-7">[8]</sup>
The Taliban allowed and in some cases encouraged marriage for girls under the age of 16. Amnesty International reported that 80 percent of Afghan marriages were considered to be by force.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-8">[9]</sup>
Taliban treatment of women - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Slaves in America were actually treated better, IMO.

I object to the assumption that we all need to lump together in one gigantic loving ball of squishy tan forced equal communist humanity. Yuck. It won't work, any more than communism. Multiculturalism and "tolerance" are the communism of today: a stiflingly totalitarian vision that fails to account for the glorious differences of the world we live in, and ends up killing a lot of fun -- and people -- on the way to its fulfillment.

It'll die, like communism. Propped up only in the addled minds of academics and journalists who don't have to work for a living anyway.

I'm pretty sure you know what it means.:rolleyes:

Feel free to predicate your vote/comments with your own definition if need be.

I have an idea what it means to me but that may not be the same as what it means to you.

An elitist might not consider class divisions to be harmful at all.

Last edited:

:clap2:

Well, it's not anything he'd notice, so it doesn't really exist.

Forum List

Back