Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Let's see battery's power a train ..

'World's first' hydrogen-powered train enters into service 

World's first' hydrogen-powered train enters into service

Anmar Frangoul
Published 6 Hours AgoCNBC.com
  • Alstom's Coradia iLint uses fuel cells that turn hydrogen and oxygen into electricity, and can travel up to 140 kilometers per hour.
  • Two models of the low-noise, zero-emissions train will enter commercial service in Lower Saxony, Germany, today.
105454376-1537174338820img_5056_ilint_d.530x298.png

Alstom | R Frampe
European railway manufacturer Alstom has launched what it says is the world's first hydrogen fuel cell train.

In an announcement Sunday, the French business said that the Coradia iLint used fuel cells that turn hydrogen and oxygen into electricity. In terms of speed, the new train can travel up to 140 kilometers per hour.

Two models of the low-noise, zero-emissions train will enter commercial service in Lower Saxony, Germany, today. Fueled via a mobile hydrogen filling station, the trains will run on around 100 kilometers of line between the locations of Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven, Bremervorde and Buxtehude.

"The world's first hydrogen fuel cell train is entering passenger service and is ready for serial production," Henri Poupart-Lafarge, Alstom's chairman and chief executive officer, said in a statement Sunday.

I was wondering when some greeny here will post that train. The picture he posted avoids showing the problem with Hydrogen Fuel Cells so I`ll post it:
hydrail-header.jpg

These huge bulges on top of each car (10 in all) are Hydrogen tanks and fuel cells.
Says so right here:
Fotostrecke - Bild 3 - Niedersachsen: Wasserstoffzug auf Jungfernfahrt
Die Wagen haben auf dem Dach einen Wasserstofftank und die Brennstoffzelle,
Hahaha imagine needing one for each car that Canadian National is pulling:
4353467.jpg

But all he needs is 1 tank per engine:

That would be a nuclear powered train. The only process capable of making hydrogen at a reasonable cost. Then of course the question is, why not electric rails powered by Nukes?

That would be a nuclear powered train. The only process capable of making hydrogen at a reasonable cost. Then of course the question is, why not electric rails powered by Nukes?

Actually not. Israelis have had success on a small scale producing Hydrogen directly from photosynthesis on farms in the Negev.

I was wondering when some greeny here will post that train. The picture he posted avoids showing the problem with Hydrogen Fuel Cells so I`ll post it:
hydrail-header.jpg

These huge bulges on top of each car (10 in all) are Hydrogen tanks and fuel cells.
Says so right here:
4353467.jpg

Greenie my ass and they will only get smaller thru R n D...

The first hydrogen fuel cells in cars took a full size van in the 1970s.

hydrail-header.jpg

Says so right here:
4353467.jpg

Why use cheap, reliable, energy-packed gasoline when you can spend more to get less?
What benefit do you see in all the extra hoop jumping?

Every technology starts out on a small scale ...
FFXUJ9RIAY1N6DC.LARGE.jpg
Hydrogen technology began in 1838 and it has not passed the paper airplane stage in almost 200 years of technological advance. Thank you for explaining the failure of hydrogen, it is about as useful to transportation as a paper airplane.

hydrail-header.jpg

Says so right here:
4353467.jpg

Haven`t you noticed yet that the hydrogen storage tank is the problem, not the fuel cell.

Here we go again with the usual RnD crystal ball fortune teller argument while being totally oblivious to the physical barriers :
800px-Storage_Density_of_Hydrogen.jpg

at a pressure of 700 bar you get only 40 g/L hydrogen while gasoline has 4.7 times as much + all the energy you get when the carbon which fixed the hydrogen combusts.

hydrail-header.jpg

Says so right here:
4353467.jpg

Haven`t you noticed yet that the hydrogen storage tank is the problem, not the fuel cell.

Here we go again with the usual RnD crystal ball fortune teller argument while being totally oblivious to the physical barriers :
800px-Storage_Density_of_Hydrogen.jpg

at a pressure of 700 bar you get only 40 g/L hydrogen while gasoline has 4.7 times as much + all the energy you get when the carbon which fixed the hydrogen combusts.
Yep! And the best thing is, you get to transfer most of the actual costs to your great grand children!

Why use cheap, reliable, energy-packed gasoline when you can spend more to get less?
Because it is not as cheap as it appears, as many of the costs are not actually paid by the manufacturers or the consumers at the point of sale.

But it is a fair (though hamhanded and shallow) point. And that is why we are working to make alternative energy more economical.

Forum List

Back