World War Z/have you seen it?

Saw it with the wife. She thought it was great, I thought it was just OK.

I thought Brad Pit was poorly cast, Liam Neison would have been better.

Was enjoying it until the plane incident (won't give it away). Thought that was really poorly thought out, from that point on I just didn't care.

I don't read zombie books, but I picked up World War Z on the strong recommendation of a friend. Turns out I enjoyed it very much.

When I heard a movie was coming out, I was thrilled. However, as soon as I saw the previews, I realized the only thing the movie had in common with the book is the title.

My expectations are therefore extremely low for the movie.

I can't stand zombie movies.

Wow. Something we agree on.

I think the problem with the Zombie movie is that it's been done to death.

Really, starting with Vincent Price in "The Last Man on Earth" (the first production of Richard Matheson's I am Legend) in 1964, do we have any NEW ideas?

Had they done the movie as the book was written, it would have been a very interesting film.

I can't stand zombie movies.

Really, starting with Vincent Price in "The Last Man on Earth" (the first production of Richard Matheson's I am Legend) in 1964, do we have any NEW ideas?

Had they done the movie as the book was written, it would have been a very interesting film.

The Vincent Price version isn't that far off. Matheson hated it because of the poor production values and Vincent Price was totally wrong for the role. (It doesn't help when your protaganist is creepier than your monsters.)

The Will Smith version was the typical, Hollywood CGI Crap we are infected with and why I don't want to see this movie, either. When CGI ignores the laws of physics and common sense, I am unable to suspend disbelief.

And the Charlton Heston version. Ugh. All I have to say is, Zombies with Afros.

The Vincent Price version isn't that far off. Matheson hated it because of the poor production values and Vincent Price was totally wrong for the role. (It doesn't help when your protaganist is creepier than your monsters.)

The Will Smith version was the typical, Hollywood CGI Crap we are infected with and why I don't want to see this movie, either. When CGI ignores the laws of physics and common sense, I am unable to suspend disbelief.

And the Charlton Heston version. Ugh. All I have to say is, Zombies with Afros.

I was actually referring to World War Z, but you are correct about I Am Legend. I've seen all three of the mentioned takes on the Matheson story and the 1964 incarnation best reflect the story as written.

Then again, I Am Legend isn't really in the zombie genre so much as it is in the vampire genre...

Yeah, but the lines aren't that clearly drawn, IMHO. In the Price movie, the vampires act more like Zombies.

Now here's the thing. To make Zombies somewhat scarier, they've re-written them to be faster and more cunning than the lumbering corpse. To the point where they are actually more dangerous than a regular human. And what I am seeing from the CGI previews, the WWZ zombies seem more like the 28 Days/Resident Evil variety.

Then again, I Am Legend isn't really in the zombie genre so much as it is in the vampire genre...

Yeah, but the lines aren't that clearly drawn, IMHO. In the Price movie, the vampires act more like Zombies.

Now here's the thing. To make Zombies somewhat scarier, they've re-written them to be faster and more cunning than the lumbering corpse. To the point where they are actually more dangerous than a regular human. And what I am seeing from the CGI previews, the WWZ zombies seem more like the 28 Days/Resident Evil variety.

Yeah, in the WWZ book they were of the slower variety, but there was a shitload of them.

One of my favorite web sites recently posted this graph, it is very accurate and reflects my sentiments about the WWZ movie:

wwz.png

Good one.

Here's the thing. The book is almost always better. Probably because it's more intimate between the writer and the reader, and the reader has to do the work of picturing in his head what the characters sound like and look like and such.

Good one.

Here's the thing. The book is almost always better. Probably because it's more intimate between the writer and the reader, and the reader has to do the work of picturing in his head what the characters sound like and look like and such.

That's why I love to read...

Forum List

Back