World War II veteran not allowed to vote

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
AURORA, Ohio – A Portage County World War II veteran was turned away from a polling place this morning because his driver’s license had expired in January and his new Veterans Affairs ID did not include his home address.

“My beef is that I had to pay a driver to take me up there because I don’t walk so well and have to use this cane and now I can’t even vote,” said Paul Carroll, 86, who has lived in Aurora nearly 40 years, running his own business, Carroll Tire, until 1975.

“I had to stop driving, but I got the photo ID from the Veterans Affairs instead, just a month or so ago. You would think that would count for something. I went to war for this country, but now I can’t vote in this country.”

Portage County veteran, 86, doesn't vote after VA identification card rejected at polls | cleveland.com

Carroll said he was offered a provisional ballot, but that "the print looked very small, I didn't have my glasses and I was kind of perturbed by then."

Lyon said sometimes voters, especially elderly, don't trust the provisional ballot "because they think it’s not going to count,”

"But even though it wouldn’t have been counted tonight, it would have become part of the official vote totals," she said.

Carroll and Lyon later talked by telephone and he said he was assured he’d be sent a mail-in ballot for the Nov. 6 general election.

But his wife, Dee, who didn’t go to the polls today, still wasn’t pleased.

“I’m kinda glad I wasn’t there,” she said. “I would have really been incensed – he’s a veteran! I probably would have got on the phone right away and called the mayor or somebody.”

Portage County veteran, 86, doesn't vote after VA identification card rejected at polls | cleveland.com

Carroll said he was offered a provisional ballot, but that "the print looked very small, I didn't have my glasses and I was kind of perturbed by then."

Lyon said sometimes voters, especially elderly, don't trust the provisional ballot "because they think it’s not going to count,”

"But even though it wouldn’t have been counted tonight, it would have become part of the official vote totals," she said.

Carroll and Lyon later talked by telephone and he said he was assured he’d be sent a mail-in ballot for the Nov. 6 general election.

But his wife, Dee, who didn’t go to the polls today, still wasn’t pleased.

“I’m kinda glad I wasn’t there,” she said. “I would have really been incensed – he’s a veteran! I probably would have got on the phone right away and called the mayor or somebody.”

old%20man%20yells%20at%20cloud.jpg

AURORA, Ohio – A Portage County World War II veteran was turned away from a polling place this morning because his driver’s license had expired in January and his new Veterans Affairs ID did not include his home address.

“My beef is that I had to pay a driver to take me up there because I don’t walk so well and have to use this cane and now I can’t even vote,” said Paul Carroll, 86, who has lived in Aurora nearly 40 years, running his own business, Carroll Tire, until 1975.

“I had to stop driving, but I got the photo ID from the Veterans Affairs instead, just a month or so ago. You would think that would count for something. I went to war for this country, but now I can’t vote in this country.”

My beef is that this old fart is using his military service as a reason why he should be allowed to ignore local voting laws, show up at a "polling place" with an expired driver's license and another form of I.D. that did not show his address, then he gets pissed off because he is turned away and denied his "right" to vote.

Making fun of a World War II veteran.

Such class.

he wasn't denied anything.

he chose not to take a provisional ballot.

choices, like elections, have consequences.

Perhaps we should have taken a more provisional stance on the Nazis, but lets marginalized a brave soldier who prevented us from speaking German.

Republicans hate our service members.

They really do.

We are going to see a lot of stories like this in November.

He is 86 years old, served in WW2, and should be given some respect for that. And I don't care at all for whom he was voting. He should have been given more assistance simply in deferance to his service. At 86, when one has made a special effort to get to the voting place, there should be a bit more sympathy.

My beef is that this old fart is using his military service as a reason why he should be allowed to ignore local voting laws, show up at a "polling place" with an expired driver's license and another form of I.D. that did not show his address, then he gets pissed off because he is turned away and denied his "right" to vote.

Yeah, keep pushing that winning argument.

Hahahaha.

he wasn't denied anything.

he chose not to take a provisional ballot.

choices, like elections, have consequences.

Perhaps we should have taken a more provisional stance on the Nazis, but lets marginalized a brave soldier who prevented us from speaking German.

he marginalized himself.

tough shit

How can someone who fought for your right to be an American, marginalize himself?

Why do you support Nazis?

he marginalized himself.

tough shit

How can someone who fought for your right to be an American, marginalize himself?

Why do you support Nazis?

he was offered a ballot; he chose not to use it.

duh

Forum List

Back