World War I (an amazing short documentary)

alpine

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012

This is the best produced WWI documentary I have ever seen... a jewel...

Personally I would be skeptical about an alleged "history documentary" that described itself as "epic". I found that the British series "World at War" was the best documentary of the 2nd world war and "Victory at Sea" comes in a close second. They were both made immediately after WW2.The problem for WW1 documentaries is that they often consist of modern political propaganda using WW1 combat newsreels.

List of books used during the production of these series...

The War that Ended Peace: How Europe abandoned peace for the First World War
£7.49
By Professor Margaret MacMillan
Cambridge professor Christopher Clarke's account of the events of 1914 is regarded as one of the best recent accounts on the subject. Notable for rejecting the notion that Germany was primarily responsible for the war, and arguing instead that Europe collectively blundered into war.

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914
£8.24
By Christopher Clark
Former journalist turned military historian Max Hastings is highly regarded for his readable and dramatic accounts of military conflict. This account lays blame for war squarely at Germany's door, before getting stuck into a gripping, readable and poignant account of the bloodbath that followed.

Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914
By Max Hastings
Lyn Macdonald has produced a series of books that tell the story of World War One year by year, from the viewpoint of ordinary British and Empire soldiers and civilians. Her superb choice of eyewitness testimony creates powerful, illuminating and deeply-moving narratives.

1914:The Days of Hope: The Days Of Hope
By Lyn MacDonald
German historian Fritz Fischer's book caused shockwaves when it was first published in 1961. It was the first work to assert that Germany WAS principally to blame for the outbreak of war, and shattered the existing consensus that all nations were in some part to blame. Still essential reading for any serious student of the war's origins.

Germany's Aims in the First World War
£20.39
By Fritz Fischer
One of the best short accounts of the First World War, written by British military historian (and decorated WW2 officer) Sir Michael Howard. Authoritative yet wonderfully succinct.

The First World War: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
By Michael Howard
Professor Hew Strachan is one of the world's leading experts on the First World War, and his expertise is evident in this single-volume account of the conflict. Strachan is always keen to emphasise the war as a global phenomenon, not simply a war fought in the muddy trenches of the Western Front.

The First World War: A New History
By Hew Strachan
AJP Tayor is best remembered in the UK as the first 'television historian'. Always provocative and original, this work proposes that railway timetables put Europe on an inescapable path to war. An enjoyable and thought-provoking read.

War by Timetable: How the First World War Began
By A J P Taylor

Forum List

Back