World Starves as Americans burn food to drive cars

We have access to the Canadian/Alaskan oil field, part of which is under the ANWR. That field is larger than the Middle East.

By the way, the accessible oil in the Continental US is half the size of the Middle East fields.

Got a source?

Everything that I've read says we have about 21 billion barrels of oil reserves in the US. Just Saudi Arabia has about 267 billion. Add in Iraq, Kuwait, and UAE, you're looking at 787 billion barrels of oil.

(This is from your wikipedia link on "oil reserves", by the way).

You should read different sources, the USGS estimates that we have 50 billion bbs of producible reserves, and that estimate is from before they had the modern methods, so the estimate is low. The USGS seems to have a history of low balling estimates, they underestimated the oil in the Bakken reserve in North Dakota by a factor of 25.

I pointed out Wikipedia as a place to start because Care was completely unable to find any information about oil in the ground. If you stop there you will never learn anything.

Your numbers are wrong. This is the USGS report, from 2008 (there have been no new advances in oil extraction methods in the last 2 years).
USGS Release: 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate— (4/10/2008 2:25:36 PM)

3 to 4 billion bbls. Not "500 billion", like jroc said, or "50 billion" like you said.

Everything that I've read says we have about 21 billion barrels of oil reserves in the US. Just Saudi Arabia has about 267 billion. Add in Iraq, Kuwait, and UAE, you're looking at 787 billion barrels of oil.

Maybe you should quit reading your liberal bullshit. you got to love the defeatist attitude of the liberal and they get so mad too.:cuckoo:

As the politics and philosophical arguments about “Peak Oil” continue to rage, science continues to move steadily onward, progressively creating new and better ways to both find and extract oil that we never could have previously discovered, as well as get a lot more bang for our buck by more effectively utilizing the oil that we currently have readily available to us in our current reserves.

I suppose the first order of business would be to mention the continual fine tuning and innovative advances that are taking place almost daily within the technology of “Three Dimensional Seismic Imaging. For those with their head in the proverbial sand, this most awesome of scientific advances may single handedly do more to save the future of our #1, primary source of energy, Oil.

Now well beyond mere exploration for crude oil, these seismic images help to regulate and maintain optimum functionality of wells in the deepest, most complex and complicated regions of the netherworld and ocean floor. This ability to visualize what is actually going on “down there,” makes the evaluation and assessment of a wide variety of facts and data, all the more easy to handle.

This usage of state of the art, “reflective seismic technology” allows us to easily find oil pools, with pin-point sniper accuracy, that we could never had previously guessed might exist, even a mere 2 years ago. These increasingly more accurate and clear images help us to complete a complete picture of the “subsurface circumstance” that greatly enhance our ability to discover, extract and maintain optimum control of every possible aspect of oil reserves never available to us until now!

New Techniques Oil Companies are Using in Drilling for Oil | Oil Price.com

Last edited:

I think we need a new Doctor.

Government Report: America's Combined Energy Resources Largest on Earth;
Far larger than those of Saudi Arabia, China, and Canada combined

March 11, 2011
Friday

(SitNews) - Washington, D.C. - U.S. Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Ranking Member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, today released an updated government report from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) showing America's combined recoverable oil, natural gas, and coal endowment is the largest on Earth. America's recoverable resources are far larger than those of Saudi Arabia (3rd), China (4th), and Canada (6th) combined. And that's not including America's immense oil shale and methane hydrates deposits.

U. S. Senator Murkowski said, "It comes as no surprise that we are once again estimated to have the largest conventional energy resource endowment on Earth. As we debate ways to reduce gas prices and provide relief to American families and businesses, this report should be required reading for every member of Congress. For the sake of our national security, our economy, and the world's environment, we need to explore and develop more of our own resources."

U.S. Senator Inhofe said, "The Obama Administration has made a conscious policy choice to raise energy prices, accomplished in good measure by restricting access to domestic energy supplies. Those supplies are, according to the Congressional Research Service, the largest on Earth. We could help bring affordable energy to consumers, create new jobs, and grow the economy if the Obama Administration would simply get out of the way so America can realize its true energy potential."

Here's what the Congressional Research Service (CRS) says about America's tremendous resource base:

031111_resources1.jpg

031111_resources2.jpg

031111_resources3.jpg

http://www.sitnews.us/0311News/031111/031111_us_resources.html

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index....Store_id=04212e22-c1b3-41f2-b0ba-0da5eaead952

Last edited:
I believe that the US fossil fuel supply is largely in natural gas and coal.

Do you know how to read?

Your numbers are wrong. This is the USGS report, from 2008 (there have been no new advances in oil extraction methods in the last 2 years).
USGS Release: 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate— (4/10/2008 2:25:36 PM)

3 to 4 billion bbls. Not "500 billion", like jroc said, or "50 billion" like you said.

What I said was this:

You should read different sources, the USGS estimates that we have 50 billion bbs of producible reserves, and that estimate is from before they had the modern methods, so the estimate is low. The USGS seems to have a history of low balling estimates, they underestimated the oil in the Bakken reserve in North Dakota by a factor of 25.

I pointed out Wikipedia as a place to start because Care was completely unable to find any information about oil in the ground. If you stop there you will never learn anything.

That 50 billion bbs is the total estimated reserves in all US territory, not the estimate from the Bakken, which is the report you quoted. Did you get confused because I pointed out that the USGS seems to have underestimated the Bakken field by a factor of 25? Is your reading comprehension level equivalent to Charlie Brown's?

In case you are curious, the people whose job it is to invest in, and make money off of, oil reserves are the ones that are throwing out the estimate that the USGS is off by a factor of 25, which is why they are so willing to invest in that field.

Go back to school and learn some basic English before you try to tell me my figures are wrong, you will look marginally more intelligent.

NEWS FLASH!!! - Ethanol plants produce a co-product. It is called animal feed DDGS (Distillers Dried Grains) You take feed corn to the ethanol plants & you get back both food & fuel!!!

Cattle that would have eaten the corn grain and soybean meal to supplement their diet, now eat distillers grains as that part of their balanced diet. Equal or better performance (rates of gain for beef cattle or milk yield in dairy cows) are usually reported from cows with up to 20% of their diet from distillers grains are compared with control diets.

5475887048_cc86bab3ff_b.jpg

Ethanol is only made from the starch in the corn. DDGS contain all the protein that was in the corn. Protein is what builds muscle, not starch. Muscles = Hamburger. The corn starch caused methane in cattle that was released into the atmosphere. It was not making beef, hamburgers, steaks or milk. Methane gas is 15 times more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2. Now this starch is converted into ethanol instead of methane gas.

Bernanke's printing press is what is driving up cotton, corn, oil & metals prices. All commodities have risen big-time in price. Even the price of water (the most plentiful comodity) is going up.

It is a good deal that you get double use out of the corn but.......the cows would have eaten the corn before it was used to make ethanol anyway.
And it still takes more energy to produce then what you get out of it.
But I suppose we could always stand to have less cow farts.
All in all still a bad idea.

Besides which, ethanol production requires copious amounts of water, which is then contaminated and poses a HUGE groundwater contamination threat.

It's a crap idea. Just like the windmills are. Windmill energy also cannot survive withoout subsidization.

Not any more. Water use now is 2.77 gallons of water per gallon of ethanol. This is the same amount of water oil refinery's use to produce a gallon of gasoline. There is no ground water contamination. All ethanol plant water is recycled at the plant. The Energy Returned on Energy Invested (EROEI) is over 2.5 to 1. No-till farming takes ethanol's (EROEI) well beyond 3 to 1. (EROEI) to produce gasoline out of tar sands at a 2.9 to 1.

Last edited:
Do you know how to read?

What I said was this:

That 50 billion bbs is the total estimated reserves in all US territory, not the estimate from the Bakken, which is the report you quoted. Did you get confused because I pointed out that the USGS seems to have underestimated the Bakken field by a factor of 25? Is your reading comprehension level equivalent to Charlie Brown's?

In case you are curious, the people whose job it is to invest in, and make money off of, oil reserves are the ones that are throwing out the estimate that the USGS is off by a factor of 25, which is why they are so willing to invest in that field.

Go back to school and learn some basic English before you try to tell me my figures are wrong, you will look marginally more intelligent.

I like how you go straight for the personal attacks when you've backed yourself into a corner.

These are the claims you've made in this thread that are completely untrue.

1. The US controls half as much oil as the middle east.

All estimates of the total amount of extractable oil within the US, from your estimate of 50 billion bbl, to the 16 billion bbl estimate I've seen everywhere else - are far, far less than half of the oil in the middle east (Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc), which was most recently estimated at around 800 billion bbl.

2. The US has access to a oil field "larger than the middle east".

Once again, the Alaskan-Canadian oil fields (which, by the way, are mostly Canadian controlled) are estimated at around 108 billion barrels. Still pretty far from 800 billion.

The rest of your posts have been repeating the same claims over and over without providing any sources, and petty, childish personal attacks.

You are failing to prove your point.

Many of us have been worried about food for fuel, for years. Here's one thread from just last month:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/energy/156827-ag-secretary-no-corn-for-you.html#post3360720

and a very early thread on the scam of ethanol:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/34609-wal-mart-makes-plans-to-sell-ethanol.html

Your source backs what I have been telling you.

Despite extreme weather events in some exporting nations, per-capita food production has climbed in recent years, he explains, adding that low interest rates encourage speculation, stockpiling and waste...

Those monitoring climate change observe, correctly, that extreme weather events are harmful to crops, as recent severe droughts in Russia and China and floods in Australia, India, Pakistan and Europe showed. Others observe that China is growing fast and its middle-class citizens include more meat in their diets, which requires more feed grains. Some inflation hawks suggest a hike in interest rates, despite high unemployment, because rising commodity prices might spark inflation.

China’s demand is a factor, but so far mainly in soya and other oil seeds. Increasing use of these oilseeds is mainly for animal feed. This demand is growing faster than human demand for basic grains. China’s output of soybeans is stagnant, so any increased consumption comes from imports. China’s imports of oil seeds grew about 30 million tons from 2006/7 to 2010/11, accounting essentially for all import growth in the entire world. Total global oil seed production rose only 36 million tons, so China accounted for most global production growth in this period. China’s net imports of wheat, corn and other grains grew modestly, by about 4 million tons when production grew by about 140 million tons, though this may change if drought cuts into wheat supplies. Corn and other grains can substitute to some extent for oilseeds in animal feed, so pressure on oil seed prices translates into general pressure on grain prices. Farmland can be planted with soybeans or corn; more of one often means less of another.

...the Chinese government, fearing a weak dollar, decided to keep reserves of food rather than US Treasury debt. It’s otherwise difficult to understand why stockpiles of oilseeds would skyrocket when prices are doubling. It could be panic stockpiling or speculative behavior by state firms with access to cheap credit. Whatever the explanation, a large part of the demand seems to come from speculative buying – and it might not only be in China. If real interest rates begin to approach normal levels, such speculation is more expensive and normally reduced.

Printing Money is what is causing food prices to rise. Not Ethanol.

Last edited:
World starves as Americans burn food to stay on the road | The Australian

I hate to say I told you so, but burning corn for Ethenol was a really stupid idea.

You ought to have told Republican Senator Rober Dole and his masters in Big AGRI who were pushing our government to fund ethanol as a fuel.

After all, in case you weren't aware of it, it was mostly the major agricultural corporations and their Reps in Congress who pushed this through.

Not environmentalists, but CORPORATISTS who wanted the txx breaks and the project funding to get this industry going..

Last edited:
Do you know how to read?

What I said was this:

I like how you go straight for the personal attacks when you've backed yourself into a corner.

These are the claims you've made in this thread that are completely untrue.

1. The US controls half as much oil as the middle east.

All estimates of the total amount of extractable oil within the US, from your estimate of 50 billion bbl, to the 16 billion bbl estimate I've seen everywhere else - are far, far less than half of the oil in the middle east (Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc), which was most recently estimated at around 800 billion bbl.

2. The US has access to a oil field "larger than the middle east".

Once again, the Alaskan-Canadian oil fields (which, by the way, are mostly Canadian controlled) are estimated at around 108 billion barrels. Still pretty far from 800 billion.

The rest of your posts have been repeating the same claims over and over without providing any sources, and petty, childish personal attacks.

You are failing to prove your point.

Is that worse than attempting to reason with you?

This entry below is the stock of proved reserves of crude oil in barrels (bbl). Proved reserves are those quantities of petroleum which, by analysis of geological and engineering data, can be estimated with a high degree of confidence to be commercially recoverable from a given date forward, from known reservoirs and under current economic conditions.

5557032058_382f209cc4_b.jpg

Last edited:
This entry below is the stock of proved reserves of crude oil in barrels (bbl). Proved reserves are those quantities of petroleum which, by analysis of geological and engineering data, can be estimated with a high degree of confidence to be commercially recoverable from a given date forward, from known reservoirs and under current economic conditions.

Or, you could do the math yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_in_place

If you do you will see some interesting results.

Last edited:

Oil in place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a huge difference between the amounts of oil in place & oil that it is feasible to recover. If it takes burning a barrel of oil to recover a barrel of oil then you actually produce nothing but pollution. At that point there is no oil left to run an automobile because it was all used up in production. The Mid East has the highest (EROEI) oil in the world & the cheapest & cleanest to produce.

Last edited:

5557032058_382f209cc4_b.jpg

Why is that you ignore other estimates? this is from this month, yours is over a year old. 20 billion barrels is bullshit., plus we have a ton of Natural gas and coal, so what are we trying to prove here? We have plenty of our own energy sources, why are you only focused on oil? Ethanol is bullshit, heavily subsidized and would not be on the market if not for those subsidies. I think you've got some investments in the scam that is ethanol.

Government Report: America's Combined Energy Resources Largest on Earth;
Far larger than those of Saudi Arabia, China, and Canada combined

March 11, 2011
Friday

(SitNews) - Washington, D.C. - U.S. Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Ranking Member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, today released an updated government report from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) showing America's combined recoverable oil, natural gas, and coal endowment is the largest on Earth. America's recoverable resources are far larger than those of Saudi Arabia (3rd), China (4th), and Canada (6th) combined. And that's not including America's immense oil shale and methane hydrates deposits.

U. S. Senator Murkowski said, "It comes as no surprise that we are once again estimated to have the largest conventional energy resource endowment on Earth. As we debate ways to reduce gas prices and provide relief to American families and businesses, this report should be required reading for every member of Congress. For the sake of our national security, our economy, and the world's environment, we need to explore and develop more of our own resources."

U.S. Senator Inhofe said, "The Obama Administration has made a conscious policy choice to raise energy prices, accomplished in good measure by restricting access to domestic energy supplies. Those supplies are, according to the Congressional Research Service, the largest on Earth. We could help bring affordable energy to consumers, create new jobs, and grow the economy if the Obama Administration would simply get out of the way so America can realize its true energy potential."

Here's what the Congressional Research Service (CRS) says about America's tremendous resource base:

031111_resources1.jpg

031111_resources2.jpg

031111_resources3.jpg

SitNews: Government Report: America's Combined Energy Resources Largest on Earth

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index....Store_id=04212e22-c1b3-41f2-b0ba-0da5eaead952[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Ethanol is not a scam & is backed by both parties without the bribes people accuse AG of. The same amount of corn is raised using the same water & energy regardless of weather ethanol is produced from it or not. The ethanol plants only extract the starch & convert it to ethanol. The DDG feed comes out of the plant with the full protein feed value. Protein builds the muscle in animals it is fed to. Muscle = Meat. Dishonest assholes try to manipulate ethanol into energy intensive polluting subsidized loser when the opposite is true. So you want me to believe you stupid numbers over the USGS, MMS, IEA, EIA & CIA numbers when you believe the fraudulent ethanol numbers? Bite me!

For 40 years presidents & congressmen have been promising us energy Independence. Yet every year we become more & more Dependant on the Mid East.

The legendary story goes that Kissinger made a deal with the Arabs to buy their oil & make them rich while we keep ours hidden away. Suddenly the order went out to slow production in the USA & create a shortage. I guess the idea is to bleed them dry first & make the US Dollar the worlds reserve Petro-Dollar. This means we will buy Mid East oil as long as they only sell it in US dollars to what ever country wants it. This makes anyone wanting oil a slave to the USA & our dollar. If we break the agreement, the Petro-Dollar goes by-by.

Last edited:

There is a huge difference between the amounts of oil in place & oil that it is feasible to recover. If it takes burning a barrel of oil to recover a barrel of oil then you actually produce nothing but pollution. At that point there is no oil left to run an automobile because it was all used up in production. The Mid East has the highest (EROEI) oil in the world & the cheapest & cleanest to produce.

Yet you keep quoting estimates of recoverable oil based on old technology, and acting like your old estimates trump the USGS estimate that is anywhere from 1.67 to 2.5 times the old estimates.

Believe it or not, I am more than aware we will eventually run out of oil. I am also aware that, despite 40 odd years of government programs to eliminate our oil/natural gas.coal dependency, we have not yet found an economically viable alternative. I am also aware that corn ethanol is not going to fill that need, it actually makes us more dependent on oil.

Feel free to keep beating your 20 billion bbs number all you want, the world will march on, develop new technology to get at more and more oil that is presently considered unrecoverable. You have not yet provided a single argument about why we should spend tax money on a technology that is proven to deliver less bang for the buck than any of the alternatives. Why are you not answering that simple question?

Ethanol is not a scam & is backed by both parties without the bribes people accuse AG of. The same amount of corn is raised using the same water & energy regardless of weather ethanol is produced from it or not. The ethanol plants only extract the starch & convert it to ethanol. The DDG feed comes out of the plant with the full protein feed value. Protein builds the muscle in animals it is fed to. Muscle = Meat. Dishonest assholes try to manipulate ethanol into energy intensive polluting subsidized loser when the opposite is true. So you want me to believe you stupid numbers over the USGS, MMS, IEA, EIA & CIA numbers when you believe the fraudulent ethanol numbers? Bite me!

For 40 years presidents & congressmen have been promising us energy Independence. Yet every year we become more & more Dependant on the Mid East.

The legendary story goes that Kissinger made a deal with the Arabs to buy their oil & make them rich while we keep ours hidden away. Suddenly the order went out to slow production in the USA & create a shortage. I guess the idea is to bleed them dry first & make the US Dollar the worlds reserve Petro-Dollar. This means we will buy Mid East oil as long as they only sell it in US dollars to what ever country wants it. This makes anyone wanting oil a slave to the USA & our dollar. If we break the agreement, the Petro-Dollar goes by-by.

An argument that it is not a scam based on the fact that both parties back it is rather weak and, in my opinion, makes it much more likely to be a scam than if only one side backed it.

Now that Gore gets nothing from the scam he is free to admit he used ethanol to bribe farmers. Iowa has a lot of framers. The person who wins in Iowa is believed to have the best chance of winning the primary.

Al Gore says his support for corn-based ethanol subsidies while serving as vice president was a mistake that had more to do with his desire to cultivate farm votes in the 2000 presidential election than with what was good for the environment.

Al Gore Mea Culpa: Support for Corn-Based Ethanol Was a Mistake

Yet you insist, despite tons of evidence, that ethanol makes sense.

Can you actually explain that, or are you going to post more erroneous stats about oil?

Yet you keep quoting estimates of recoverable oil based on old technology, and acting like your old estimates trump the USGS estimate that is anywhere from 1.67 to 2.5 times the old estimates.

Believe it or not, I am more than aware we will eventually run out of oil. I am also aware that, despite 40 odd years of government programs to eliminate our oil/natural gas.coal dependency, we have not yet found an economically viable alternative. I am also aware that corn ethanol is not going to fill that need, it actually makes us more dependent on oil.

Feel free to keep beating your 20 billion bbs number all you want, the world will march on, develop new technology to get at more and more oil that is presently considered unrecoverable. You have not yet provided a single argument about why we should spend tax money on a technology that is proven to deliver less bang for the buck than any of the alternatives. Why are you not answering that simple question?

You propagate ethanol lies what do you expect. BTW - I know what is recoverable. I own part of Schlumberger, Baker-Hughes & Halliburton & know their products very well. I know what is now recoverable with horizontal drill fracking. ACS Equipment invented Horizontal Directional Drilling. Halliburton adapted it to oil drilling & improved on it.

Oil reserves are big-time international politics. The books are cooked here & abroad. Congress & the president are not going to let us drill no matter what they promise until we pass peak oil.

Ethanol works in the current vehicles. No need for expensive modifications or waiting for expensive crappy battery cars. We raise 12 Billion bushels of corn in the USA. That will make 35 Billion Gallons of Ethanol & all the DDG animal feed they can eat. That will replace 15% of Gasoline & still feed the world better tomorrow than today.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back