World Starves as Americans burn food to drive cars

How incredibly dishonorable to call someone a "liar", especially without providing any FACTS to counter the statement I made. We, the United States of America hit peak oil back when President Carter said we did. Had we but listened to him then, we might not be in the dire straights we find ourselves in now.

The global oil market will peak in the very near future. Oil is a finite product that we are running out of.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d07283.pdf

We, the United States, now have access to an oil field that is larger than the entire Middle East. How do you figure Carter was right when he said we had peaked?

What oil field are you speaking about and do you have a link that supports this statement of yours? I just did a google of my own, and I guess i am not using the key words needed in order to pull up this information on my search? Can you at least give me more information to this statement so i can google it, to find out about it?

What statement do you want me to support? That Carter was wrong when he said we had run out of oil? That we know about more oil than we did then? That the world has oil fields larger than the entire Middle East? Why don't you just start at Wikipedia under oil reserves and go from there.

Oil reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We, the United States, now have access to an oil field that is larger than the entire Middle East. How do you figure Carter was right when he said we had peaked?

What oil field are you speaking about and do you have a link that supports this statement of yours? I just did a google of my own, and I guess i am not using the key words needed in order to pull up this information on my search? Can you at least give me more information to this statement so i can google it, to find out about it?

What statement do you want me to support? That Carter was wrong when he said we had run out of oil? That we know about more oil than we did then? That the world has oil fields larger than the entire Middle East? Why don't you just start at Wikipedia under oil reserves and go from there.

What oil field does the united states have, that is greater than the oil fields in the Middle east? and by using the word "greater", do you mean that this oil field has MORE OIL than ALL of the middle east?

that's a pretty big claim, if this is what you are claiming???

And is this larger oil field, oil that is easily accessed?

What oil field does the united states have, that is greater than the oil fields in the Middle east? and by using the word "greater", do you mean that this oil field has MORE OIL than ALL of the middle east?

We have access to the Canadian/Alaskan oil field, part of which is under the ANWR. That field is larger than the Middle East.

By the way, the accessible oil in the Continental US is half the size of the Middle East fields.

All Middle East oil reserves were overstated by 40% over 30 years ago & have never declined since even though they have been producing at high rates. Currently their actual oil reserves are 1/3rd of what they say they are.

The USA has a lot of oil.
shale%20gas%20map%20of%20the%20united%20states.gif

shale%20gas%20map.jpg

You've got ot love the way people just dismiss the fact that we have a lot of oil here. Alaska of course, so much federal government own land that cannot be used for exploration hers one area

Massive Oil Deposit Could Increase US reserves by 10x

America is sitting on top of a super massive 200 billion barrel Oil Field that could potentially make America Energy Independent and until now has largely gone unnoticed. Thanks to new technology the Bakken Formation in North Dakota could boost America’s Oil reserves by an incredible 10 times, giving western economies the trump card against OPEC’s short squeeze on oil supply and making Iranian and Venezuelan threats of disrupted supply irrelevant.

In the next 30 days the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) will release a new report giving an accurate resource assessment of the Bakken Oil Formation that covers North Dakota and portions of South Dakota and Montana. With new horizontal drilling technology it is believed that from 175 to 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil are held in this 200,000 square mile reserve that was initially discovered in 1951. The USGS did an initial study back in 1999 that estimated 400 billion recoverable barrels were present but with prices bottoming out at $10 a barrel back then the report was dismissed because of the higher cost of horizontal drilling techniques that would be needed, estimated at $20-$40 a barrel.

It was not until 2007, when EOG Resources of Texas started a frenzy when they drilled a single well in Parshal N.D. that is expected to yield 700,000 barrels of oil that real excitement and money started to flow in North Dakota. Marathon Oil is investing $1.5 billion and drilling 300 new wells in what is expected to be one of the greatest booms in Oil discovery since Oil was discovered in Saudi Arabia in 1938.

Next2.13s.jpg

Next2.13s2.jpg

All we have to do is get it.

We have access to the Canadian/Alaskan oil field, part of which is under the ANWR. That field is larger than the Middle East.

By the way, the accessible oil in the Continental US is half the size of the Middle East fields.

The estimated proven oil reserves in ANWR is larger than ALL THE OIL reserves in the middle east combined????????

The estimated proven oil reserves in ANWR is larger than ALL THE OIL reserves in the middle east combined????????

Look at Jrocs post....cant see how you missed it. And thats just one area.
There is a hell of alot of oil here in the states.
Largest find since the saudi fields in 1938.
I came across the same info with one attempt at a search.
What exactly did you search for?

World starves as Americans burn food to stay on the road | The Australian

I hate to say I told you so, but burning corn for Ethenol was a really stupid idea.

No. It wasn't a stupid idea. It was a great idea - but it failed. Sometimes, even great ideas fail.

I'm glad someone tried to find an alternative to gasoline. In this case it didn't work, and we need to give up, and stop subsidizing it to the tune of 7 billion dollars a year.

But we should keep trying.
Wrong, stupid idea from the get go. Oil is the only way, that is what it is there for. Tree huggers are commies!

Oil is finite. No matter how much is left, one day it'll all be gone.

Which would you rather do - ignore the problem until BOOM, gasoline is $20 a gallon, or find a renewable replacement ahead of time so the entire world economy isn't destroyed in one fell swoop when we do run out?

Ethanol didn't work, so we should stop subsidizing it - the only reason we keep doing it is the Iowa caucuses. But that doesn't mean we don't need to find a solution to this problem.

Abso-friggin-lutely not. Where do you guys get this shit? Ghawar (the largest oil field in Saudi Arabia) was discovered in 1948 and a larger field has never been found since. Stop with the fables. The earth has been thoroughly explored in the last 150 years. We're not going to make anymore huge finds.

America throws so much food in the garbage it isn't even funny. Anyone who thinks that ethanol is somehow responsible for any of the hunger that exists in the world is very short sighted.

Got a source?

Everything that I've read says we have about 21 billion barrels of oil reserves in the US. Just Saudi Arabia has about 267 billion. Add in Iraq, Kuwait, and UAE, you're looking at 787 billion barrels of oil.

(This is from your wikipedia link on "oil reserves", by the way).

You've got ot love the way people just dismiss the fact that we have a lot of oil here. Alaska of course, so much federal government own land that cannot be used for exploration hers one area

Massive Oil Deposit Could Increase US reserves by 10x

America is sitting on top of a super massive 200 billion barrel Oil Field that could potentially make America Energy Independent and until now has largely gone unnoticed. Thanks to new technology the Bakken Formation in North Dakota could boost America’s Oil reserves by an incredible 10 times, giving western economies the trump card against OPEC’s short squeeze on oil supply and making Iranian and Venezuelan threats of disrupted supply irrelevant.

In the next 30 days the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) will release a new report giving an accurate resource assessment of the Bakken Oil Formation that covers North Dakota and portions of South Dakota and Montana. With new horizontal drilling technology it is believed that from 175 to 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil are held in this 200,000 square mile reserve that was initially discovered in 1951. The USGS did an initial study back in 1999 that estimated 400 billion recoverable barrels were present but with prices bottoming out at $10 a barrel back then the report was dismissed because of the higher cost of horizontal drilling techniques that would be needed, estimated at $20-$40 a barrel.

It was not until 2007, when EOG Resources of Texas started a frenzy when they drilled a single well in Parshal N.D. that is expected to yield 700,000 barrels of oil that real excitement and money started to flow in North Dakota. Marathon Oil is investing $1.5 billion and drilling 300 new wells in what is expected to be one of the greatest booms in Oil discovery since Oil was discovered in Saudi Arabia in 1938.

Next2.13s.jpg

Next2.13s2.jpg

All we have to do is get it.

Your conservo-spam post is rather old. The geological survey mentioned in your copy-pasta? It came out in 2008.

Guess what? It didn't back up your claims. According to the USGS, there's about 3 to 4 billion barrels of recoverable oil in the Bakken formation, not "175-500" billion barrels.

USGS Release: 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate— (4/10/2008 2:25:36 PM)
snopes.com: Bakken Formation

Read what I posted.

Yeah, this is completely untrue.

NEWS FLASH!!! - Ethanol plants produce a co-product. It is called animal feed DDGS (Distillers Dried Grains) You take feed corn to the ethanol plants & you get back both food & fuel!!!

Cattle that would have eaten the corn grain and soybean meal to supplement their diet, now eat distillers grains as that part of their balanced diet. Equal or better performance (rates of gain for beef cattle or milk yield in dairy cows) are usually reported from cows with up to 20% of their diet from distillers grains are compared with control diets.

5475887048_cc86bab3ff_b.jpg

Ethanol is only made from the starch in the corn. DDGS contain all the protein that was in the corn. Protein is what builds muscle, not starch. Muscles = Hamburger. The corn starch caused methane in cattle that was released into the atmosphere. It was not making beef, hamburgers, steaks or milk. Methane gas is 15 times more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2. Now this starch is converted into ethanol instead of methane gas.

Bernanke's printing press is what is driving up cotton, corn, oil & metals prices. All commodities have risen big-time in price. Even the price of water (the most plentiful comodity) is going up.

It is a good deal that you get double use out of the corn but.......the cows would have eaten the corn before it was used to make ethanol anyway.
And it still takes more energy to produce then what you get out of it.
But I suppose we could always stand to have less cow farts.
All in all still a bad idea.

Besides which, ethanol production requires copious amounts of water, which is then contaminated and poses a HUGE groundwater contamination threat.

It's a crap idea. Just like the windmills are. Windmill energy also cannot survive withoout subsidization.

Got a source?

Everything that I've read says we have about 21 billion barrels of oil reserves in the US. Just Saudi Arabia has about 267 billion. Add in Iraq, Kuwait, and UAE, you're looking at 787 billion barrels of oil.

(This is from your wikipedia link on "oil reserves", by the way).

You should read different sources, the USGS estimates that we have 50 billion bbs of producible reserves, and that estimate is from before they had the modern methods, so the estimate is low. The USGS seems to have a history of low balling estimates, they underestimated the oil in the Bakken reserve in North Dakota by a factor of 25.

I pointed out Wikipedia as a place to start because Care was completely unable to find any information about oil in the ground. If you stop there you will never learn anything.

Forum List

Back