World Starves as Americans burn food to drive cars

How about burning, I dunno... GASOLINE?

Why do we have to burn food?

Just dumb.

I dunno, cause gasoline isn't going to be around much longer? We hit peak oil in the 70s and now we are just scrambling for the scraps. Time to stop sucking on the oil teat.

Now...Hemp produces 10 times as much methanol as corn does. Shame we aren't planting hemp crops...

Liar

How incredibly dishonorable to call someone a "liar", especially without providing any FACTS to counter the statement I made. We, the United States of America hit peak oil back when President Carter said we did. Had we but listened to him then, we might not be in the dire straights we find ourselves in now.

The global oil market will peak in the very near future. Oil is a finite product that we are running out of.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d07283.pdf

We use more energy making Ethanol then we get from the Ethanol.:eusa_whistle:

Ethanol Fuel from Corn Faulted as ‘Unsustainable Subsidized Food Burning’

David Pimental, a leading Cornell University agricultural expert, has calculated that powering the average U.S. automobile for one year on ethanol (blended with gasoline) derived from corn would require 11 acres of farmland, the same space needed to grow a year's supply of food for seven people. Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion into ethanol, 131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs.

Mr. Pimentel concluded that "abusing our precious croplands to grow corn for an energy-inefficient process that yields low-grade automobile fuels amounts to unsustainable subsidized food burning".

Ethanol

I've seen this study referenced before. I have a simple study of my own from the get-go about this:
If Ethanol costs more in petro products than it produces, how could it possibly make it to market cheaper than gasoline?

Last edited:
How about burning, I dunno... GASOLINE?

Why do we have to burn food?

Just dumb.

I dunno, cause gasoline isn't going to be around much longer? We hit peak oil in the 70s and now we are just scrambling for the scraps. Time to stop sucking on the oil teat.

Now...Hemp produces 10 times as much methanol as corn does. Shame we aren't planting hemp crops...

Liar

LOL you beat me to the punch. In the 70s when there was the oil embargo, they said it we hit peak oil. Now that oil prices are increasing they say peak oil by 2020. I think we are coming close to peak oil, but I am not believing any of the environazi claims on it anymore!

Liar

LOL you beat me to the punch. In the 70s when there was the oil embargo, they said it we hit peak oil. Now that oil prices are increasing they say peak oil by 2020. I think we are coming close to peak oil, but I am not believing any of the environazi claims on it anymore!

80% of oil is in the mid-east; In fact, when the Saudi's hit peak, the so does the world most likely, simply because of the sheer volume they have. When that happens, I think we have every reason to believe we'll be the LAST to know.

Ya gotta love it... the irrational, almost psychotic hatred of a natural resource (oil) has people demanding that we burn food stuffs (another natural resource) instead of the other natural resource which btw.. we can't eat.

You people make no sense whatsoever.

We use more energy making Ethanol then we get from the Ethanol.:eusa_whistle:

Ethanol Fuel from Corn Faulted as ‘Unsustainable Subsidized Food Burning’

David Pimental, a leading Cornell University agricultural expert, has calculated that powering the average U.S. automobile for one year on ethanol (blended with gasoline) derived from corn would require 11 acres of farmland, the same space needed to grow a year's supply of food for seven people. Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion into ethanol, 131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs.

Mr. Pimentel concluded that "abusing our precious croplands to grow corn for an energy-inefficient process that yields low-grade automobile fuels amounts to unsustainable subsidized food burning".

Ethanol

I've seen this study referenced before. I have a simple study of my own from the get-go about this:
If Ethanol costs more in petro products than it produces, how could it possibly make it to market cheaper than gasoline?

Subsidies for corn ethanol

More ethanol subsidy info from the heart of ethanol country. June 2, 2009
Corn ethanol subsidies totaled $7.0 billion in 2006 for 4.9 billion gallons of ethanol. That's $1.45 per gallon of ethanol (and $2.21 per gal of gas replaced).
Even with high gas prices in 2006, producing a gallon of ethanol cost 38¢ more than making gasoline with the same energy, so ethanol did need part of that subsidy. But what about the other $1.12. Not needed! So all of that became, $5.4 billion windfall of profits paid to real farmers, corporate farmers, and ethanol makers like multinational ADM. Why is it the farm states put up with this?!

Where did those subsidies come from:
1. 51¢ per gallon federal blenders credit for $2.5 billion = your tax dollars.
2. $0.9 billion in corn subsidies for ethanol corn = your tax dollars.
3. $3.6 billion extra paid at the pump.

Ethanol Subsidies, State and Federal

Ya gotta love it... the irrational, almost psychotic hatred of a natural resource (oil) has people demanding that we burn food stuffs (another natural resource) instead of the other natural resource which btw.. we can't eat.

I'm not necessarily advocating Ethanol, but you're a fool if you don't realize how closely oil and food are connected. No, you can't eat it. But you can't eat a tractor either... Or fertilizer... But you'll damn sure starve without them.

I'm not necessarily advocating Ethanol, but you're a fool if you don't realize how closely oil and food are connected. No, you can't eat it. But you can't eat a tractor either... Or fertilizer... But you'll damn sure starve without them.

Cute answer, yet, you justifiy constraining oil production and promoting ethanol subsidies by what argument? That I can't eat a tractor?

Last edited:
NEWS FLASH!!! - Ethanol plants produce a co-product. It is called animal feed DDGS (Distillers Dried Grains) You take feed corn to the ethanol plants & you get back both food & fuel!!!

Cattle that would have eaten the corn grain and soybean meal to supplement their diet, now eat distillers grains as that part of their balanced diet. Equal or better performance (rates of gain for beef cattle or milk yield in dairy cows) are usually reported from cows with up to 20% of their diet from distillers grains are compared with control diets.

5475887048_cc86bab3ff_b.jpg

Ethanol is only made from the starch in the corn. DDGS contain all the protein that was in the corn. Protein is what builds muscle, not starch. Muscles = Hamburger. The corn starch caused methane in cattle that was released into the atmosphere. It was not making beef, hamburgers, steaks or milk. Methane gas is 15 times more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2. Now this starch is converted into ethanol instead of methane gas.

Bernanke's printing press is what is driving up cotton, corn, oil & metals prices. All commodities have risen big-time in price. Even the price of water (the most plentiful comodity) is going up.

I thought cows ate grass.

This justifies constraining oil production and ethanol subsidies how?

Didn't say it did. Just that for all intents and purposes they're one and the same. IF the ethanol program ultimately SAVES oil, we should do it. IF it doesn't as JRoc and others have suggested, we shouldn't.

America's ethanol experiment has been a costly disaster.

In November voters across America made clear their frustrations with runaway spending, bailouts, and special-interest dollars sloshing through Washington. Yet the lame duck session threatens a return to business as usual as corporate interests scramble for federal favors.

One particularly bold example is the ethanol lobby, which is mounting a full-court press to renew expiring tariffs and tax protections that raise consumer prices while doing little to improve energy independence or the environment. Lawmakers should do nothing and allow the ethanol program to expire.

At midnight on Dec. 31, the Volumetric Ethanol Excise Tax Credit, which includes a 54 cent tariff on imported ethanol and a 45 cent tax credit for every gallon blended with gasoline, will come to an end. Some in Congress appear to have recognized the public sentiment against such corporate giveaways given that 17 senators--led by Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and Jon Kyl, R-Ariz.--have signed a letter against continued largesse for ethanol.

As they state, subsidizing blending ethanol into gasoline is fiscally indefensible. If the current subsidy is extended for five years, the Federal Treasury would pay oil companies at least $31 billion to use 69 billion gallons of corn ethanol that the Federal Renewable Fuels Standard already requires them to use. We cannot afford to pay industry for following the law. Even Al Gore has admitted he was wrong to support ethanol subsidies.

Let Ethanol Subsidies Expire For Good - Forbes.com

This justifies constraining oil production and ethanol subsidies how?

Didn't say it did. Just that for all intents and purposes they're one and the same. IF the ethanol program ultimately SAVES oil, we should do it. IF it doesn't as JRoc and others have suggested, we shouldn't.

Fair enough... ethanol ain't real great for engines either.

World starves as Americans burn food to stay on the road | The Australian

I hate to say I told you so, but burning corn for Ethenol was a really stupid idea.

No. It wasn't a stupid idea. It was a great idea - but it failed. Sometimes, even great ideas fail.

I'm glad someone tried to find an alternative to gasoline. In this case it didn't work, and we need to give up, and stop subsidizing it to the tune of 7 billion dollars a year.

But we should keep trying.
Wrong, stupid idea from the get go. Oil is the only way, that is what it is there for. Tree huggers are commies!

NEWS FLASH!!! - Ethanol plants produce a co-product. It is called animal feed DDGS (Distillers Dried Grains) You take feed corn to the ethanol plants & you get back both food & fuel!!!

Cattle that would have eaten the corn grain and soybean meal to supplement their diet, now eat distillers grains as that part of their balanced diet. Equal or better performance (rates of gain for beef cattle or milk yield in dairy cows) are usually reported from cows with up to 20% of their diet from distillers grains are compared with control diets.

Ethanol is only made from the starch in the corn. DDGS contain all the protein that was in the corn. Protein is what builds muscle, not starch. Muscles = Hamburger. The corn starch caused methane in cattle that was released into the atmosphere. It was not making beef, hamburgers, steaks or milk. Methane gas is 15 times more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2. Now this starch is converted into ethanol instead of methane gas.

Bernanke's printing press is what is driving up cotton, corn, oil & metals prices. All commodities have risen big-time in price. Even the price of water (the most plentiful comodity) is going up.

I was thinking the same thing! Chickens eat corn and pigs eat slop (whatever that is)!

I was thinking the same thing! Chickens eat corn and pigs eat slop (whatever that is)!

Slop is basically, garbage. We had a pig farmer that used to come to my grade school and pick up the garbage from lunch.

BTW... cow are fed increasingly more corn these days than grass.

Last edited:
BTW - If you people do not understand how creating more money drives up all commodity prices then you do not have a understanding of economics. In China & India most of the population ate rice & grains. As we send more of our money to those countries more of the population start to eat meat. It takes 10 calories worth of rice & grains to raise the meat the same population eats to replace the one calorie worth of rice & grains they were eating. So as we print money this allows China & India to increase their food consumption by 10 fold. For years now China has been out bidding the ethanol plants for corn. China also buys much of the DDG feed from the ethanol plants driving the DDG feed prices higher for the US cattle farmers.

Agra Net: CHINA HOLDS MORE DDGS IMPORT POTENTIAL
China has the potential to import a lot more dried distillers' grains with solubles (DDGS) as more feed mills use it to replace maize and protein meals. China's imports of DDGS are likely to exceed 2.8 mln tonnes this year, said Liu Xiaoyu, General Manager at the feed division of COFCO Agri-Trading&Logistics, China's top importer. China imported only 640,000 tonnes in 2009. The Asian country's purchases have slowed recently due to the rise in US maize prices. DDGS has largely been used to replace maize this year because of a lower Chinese harvest and cheap US prices, said Mr Liu. China buys almost all its DDGS from the US. There is a potential market of 8 mln tonnes (of imports) because domestic production growth is slow, Mr Liu estimated.

If ethanol starves people then why is China making ethanol out of corn? China imports food so why would they do this? Because ethanol production does not destroy the food. It simply turns corn into DDG feed.

China hinders US DDGS export drive
The Chinese ministry of commerce has said it will begin an investigation into US dumping of livestock feed on China’s farm market...

Local Chinese ethanol producers also want to sell their DDGs, and it is their concerns that are presumably driving this latest investigation. China produces about 3.5 million tonnes of DDGs per year.

China cannot produce enough livestock feed on its own, and has been importing corn, soybeans, and DDGs. It is expected that the country is to import some 3 million metric tons of DDGs this year and as such will be the largest importer of DDGS.

Last edited:

Slop is basically, garbage. We had a pig farmer that used to come to my grade school and pick up the garbage from lunch.

BTW... cow are fed increasingly more corn these days than grass.

I know they're fed corn but cows are suppose to eat grass. What they eat affects how they taste, doesn't it? Most beef these days is fairly tasteless, imo.

World starves as Americans burn food to stay on the road | The Australian

I hate to say I told you so, but burning corn for Ethenol was a really stupid idea.

No. It wasn't a stupid idea. It was a great idea - but it failed. Sometimes, even great ideas fail.

I'm glad someone tried to find an alternative to gasoline. In this case it didn't work, and we need to give up, and stop subsidizing it to the tune of 7 billion dollars a year.

But we should keep trying.

What made it a great idea?

Forum List

Back