World Pops.....7 billion

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I just thought you might like to know...:dunno:

-----------------------------:disbelief:

The world population is the sum of all humans on Earth. As of today, it is estimated to number 7.005 billion by the United States Census Bureau.[1] The USCB estimates that the world population exceeded 7 billion on March 12, 2012. According to a separate estimate by the United Nations Population Fund, it reached this milestone on October 31, 2011.[2][3][4]

The world population has experienced continuous growth since the end of the Great Famine and the Black Death in 1350, when it stood at around 370 million.[5] The highest rates of growth – global increases above 1.8% per year – were seen briefly during the 1950s, and for a longer period during the 1960s and 1970s. The growth rate peaked at 2.2% in 1963, and had declined to 1.1% by 2011. Total annual births were highest in the late 1980s at about 138 million,[6] and are now expected to remain essentially constant at their 2011 level of 134 million, while deaths number 56 million per year, and are expected to increase to 80 million per year by 2040.[7] Current projections show a continued increase in population (but a steady decline in the population growth rate), with the global population expected to reach between 7.5 and 10.5 billion by 2050

World population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"bad monkey"..?

I thought it was interesting that after the Black Death the population was down to around 370 million..

WOW!
Last time I checked, the world pop. was just over 6 billion.
Also, our debt is now heading to 16 trillion.
Thanks for the info. I hear there is now panic in Detroit.
Bowie had premonitions about the U.S.. A catchy tune; at the least, I know Dante will luv it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXxmIcsmpnQ]Panic in Detroit-David Bowie - YouTube[/ame]

As of today, it is estimated to number 7.005 billion by the United States Census Bureau.

Wow, it will be a good harvest this season. So many of you are so plump and tender looking. Good mix of light and dark meat too. It's going to be one hell of a show when the space lizards arrive and the feast commences. (hey, I can dream if I want, pray too ... :razz: )

As of today, it is estimated to number 7.005 billion by the United States Census Bureau.

Wow, it will be a good harvest this season. So many of you are so plump and tender looking. Good mix of light and dark meat too. It's going to be one hell of a show when the space lizards arrive and the feast commences. (hey, I can dream if I want, pray too ... :razz: )

Space Lizards? :eusa_shifty:

I thought da' Spiders From Mars would feast on us.

You're a bit of a screwball.. seems I have competition...:lol:

Granny says, "Dat's right - we all gonna die...
:eek:
Earth may be near tipping point, scientists warn
June 7, 2012, A group of scientists warns that population growth, climate change and environmental damage are pushing Earth toward calamitous and irreversible changes.
A group of international scientists is sounding a global alarm, warning that population growth, climate change and environmental destruction are pushing Earth toward calamitous — and irreversible — biological changes. In a paper published in Thursday's edition of the journal Nature, 22 researchers from a variety of fields liken the human impact to global events eons ago that caused mass extinctions, permanently altering Earth's biosphere. "Humans are now forcing another such transition, with the potential to transform Earth rapidly and irreversibly into a state unknown in human experience," wrote the authors, who are from the U.S., Europe, Canada and South America.

If current trends continue — exploding global population, rapidly rising temperatures and the clearance of more than 40% of Earth's surface for urban development or agriculture — the planet could reach a tipping point, they say. "The net effects of what we're causing could actually be equivalent to an asteroid striking the Earth in a worst-case scenario," the paper's lead author, Anthony Barnosky, a professor of integrative biology at UC Berkeley, said in an interview. "I don't want to sound like Armageddon. I think the point to be made is that if we just ignore all the warning signs of how we're changing the Earth, the scenario of losses of biodiversity — 75% or more — is not an outlandish scenario at all."

Global population just passed 7 billion and is expected to reach 9.3 billion or more by 2050. "By the year 2070, we'll live in a hotter world than it's been since humans evolved as a species," Barnosky said. Increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from the burning of fossil fuels is making the ocean more acidic, and less hospitable to sea life. By midcentury, humans could have altered more than half the world's land surface. The swiftness of climate change is likely to outpace the ability of species to adapt, especially as natural habitat becomes more fragmented, Barnosky said.

All this could produce a biologically impoverished Earth that would rob humans of vital ecological services such as insects that pollinate crops, forests that provide clean water, and tropical species that are the source of new drugs. "We have created a bubble of human population and economy … that is totally unsustainable and is either going to have to deflate gradually or is going to burst," said co-author James Brown, a distinguished professor of biology at the University of New Mexico. "If it's going to burst, the consequences are really going to be grim for people as well as biodiversity and the rest of the planet."

MORE

Forum List

Back