World parliamentarians say 'appalled' at Israel's detention of PLC members

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by P F Tinmore, Jul 27, 2011.

1. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,927
    GAZA, (PIC)-- The Inter-Parliamentary Union said it was ''appalled'' at Israel's repeated detention of members of the Palestinian Legislative Council, calling it a violation of the Palestinians' democratic rights.

The IPU also condemned the indefinite terms of administrative detention faced by Palestinian elected officials, as a violation of human rights.

The letter points out that the IPU had dispatched an observer to attend the latest Israeli Supreme Court hearing over the banishment of three Palestinian politicians from Jerusalem, two of them being members on the PLC.

The body said it would further discuss the matter in its 125th session to take place in mid-October 2011.

The IPU, established in 1889, is the oldest multilateral political organization. It brings together 155 affiliated parliaments and eight regional assemblies as associate members.

The world organization of parliaments has an Office in New York which acts as its permanent observer at the United Nations.

World parliamentarians say 'appalled' at Israel's detention of PLC members

2. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Trying to work out what this is about. Your article says that the arrests began after the confinement of Gilad Shalit but I am wondering if it is the same thing as the Guardian talks of in this article

Israel threatens to expel Palestinian politicians from Jerusalem | World news | guardian.co.uk

Excuse my ignorance but I am trying to get an idea of what is going on.

Tell me if I am right.

Since 2008 Israel has excluded more than 4,500 Palestinians from their homes in Jerusalem.

These men are facing deportation because of their political ideas? They are the first to face deportation for that reason?

Conclusion. Israel is trying to get as many Palestinians out of Jerusalem as possible because she wants it for herself.

Is that about it?

3. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,927
    Members of the PLC (Palestine's Parliament) are arrested for being in the wrong political party.

4. docmauser1

docmauser1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,176

5. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Unbelievable. Another example of the lack of Israeli Democracy and law supported by the US. I found this from last year on it

They ask in it for the world to speak out. We would but people no longer hear of such things. Israel has become very clever in manipulating news.

Open letter from the Jerusalem Palestinian Legislative Council members

Democracy Pish!

6. docmauser1

docmauser1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Drivel.