World in Turmoil Requires Its Best Leadership

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
World in Turmoil Requires America to Give Its Best
By Lee H. Hamilton for The Indianapolis Star
February 28, 2005

In a world of around-the-clock news, the big picture is sometimes lost in a stream of images -- an election in Iraq, an assassination in Lebanon, a presidential trip to Europe, a shift in the international markets. But to succeed, American policies must never lose sight of the central global realities. What trends are driving events?

A first central reality is the pre-eminence of American power.

A second central reality is the shifting alignment of the great powers.

A third central reality is globalization.

...the fourth central reality: swelling turmoil in the world.

...other bubbling challenges lie in wait: increased energy demands and decreasing resources; poverty and hunger that can turn whole regions into war zones; population growth and environmental degradation that could pose unprecedented challenges to humanity.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/225565-4772.021.html

Adam's Apple said:
World in Turmoil Requires America to Give Its Best
By Lee H. Hamilton for The Indianapolis Star
February 28, 2005

In a world of around-the-clock news, the big picture is sometimes lost in a stream of images -- an election in Iraq, an assassination in Lebanon, a presidential trip to Europe, a shift in the international markets. But to succeed, American policies must never lose sight of the central global realities. What trends are driving events?

A first central reality is the pre-eminence of American power.

A second central reality is the shifting alignment of the great powers.

A third central reality is globalization.

...the fourth central reality: swelling turmoil in the world.

...other bubbling challenges lie in wait: increased energy demands and decreasing resources; poverty and hunger that can turn whole regions into war zones; population growth and environmental degradation that could pose unprecedented challenges to humanity.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/225565-4772.021.html

I agree with all of these. On the last point, it wouldn't just be 'challenges' but could also be unforseen events or inventions. Can you imagine the realignments, for both good and bad regarding the US if there was suddenly a new source of energy? What if democracy really were to break out in the Middle East?

Both would definitely change the power structure. An alternative energy source is greatly needed to break the stranglehold the Middle East has on the industrialized West. I can't understand why the West hasn't made this a priority and put their best scientific minds to work on this.

Adam's Apple said:
Both would definitely change the power structure. An alternative energy source is greatly needed to break the stranglehold the Middle East has on the industrialized West. I can't understand why the West hasn't made this a priority and put their best scientific minds to work on this.
At the same time could create a crisis with much of South America, Japan wouldn't need us or our might, lots of 'unforseeable' possibilities.

To tell you the truth, I wish more of these countries would take responsibility for themselves and not depend so much upon the U.S. We need to be focusing our attention on our own needs. If the horse and buggy age had had the lobbying power that the gas and oil interests have today, I wonder if we would still be using horse and buggies today. It's darn hard to break that strong gas/oil lobby in Washington to get beyond it.

Forum List

Back