World Cup 2018 Qualifying Thread

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
We have a crowded week with many matches happening across the planet.

Last night we watched an eventful match between our national team and Wales. I won't post a full-on match report, as some people might think that too boring.

Austria vs Wales, this match occured at Ernst-Happel-Stadion in Wien (Vienna)

It was designed in 1928 by Otto Ernst Schweizer and construction began in 1929 and it was opened in 1931, it can hold about 91,000 people. Until 1992 it was called the Praterstadion, it was renamed after Ernst Happel, one of the most successful managers ever, he was a former footballer who spent most of his footballing career at Rapid Wien (Rapid Vienna) with a brief term at RC Paris (Racing Club Paris) he died in 1992 and so the Praterstadion was renamed in his honour.

ernsthappel2.jpg

d9dc2b2168316e8be25d02be5ef3238a.jpg

We have not lost a national football match at home in four years, last night our record was retained, as the FT result was 2-2, we're happy with this, we get a point. Our goals both came from Marko Arnautović (28 minutes and 48 minutes) Wales scored a goal with Joe Allen (22 minutes) and it would have at FT been 2-1 to us had that idiot Kevin Wimmer not scored an own goal at 46 minutes.

This was our second match in the World Cup 2018 Qualifying round, after our victory on September 5th against Georgia in Tbilisi, which we won 2-1.

Also the other match we were concentrating on last night was between our Croatian friends against Kosovo.

This was a strange situation, as is usual with Kosovo, their national football team have only been accepted as members of FIFA and UEFA since May this year.

The Croatia vs Kosovo match took place in Shkodër in Albania, of course FIFA and UEFA were concerned beforehand that something might blow up between various sectarian elements because of this, but thankfully it didn't.

Kosovo have had a good run of winning matches, but the opposition hasn't been that great eg. Equatorial Guinea and the Faroe Islands are hardly known as strong football nations.

Croatia are an excellent football nation with an excellent national team, so it was always going to be a bloodbath of goals in this match and it was, the FT result Croatia 6 Kosovo 0.

Whether I can stay up to get word of the next match of interest to us, this is Argentina against Peru, which the KO is in a few hours in Lima, Peru.

Should I not be able to stay awake, I expect that I'll wake up to tons of text messages from my relatives in Buenos Aires telling me what's been occuring in this match, Argentina better win, they are down Lionel Messi due to an injury, but they are capable of winning matches sans Messi.

I hate it when historical streets and buildings are renamed. The stadium renaming is not as bad as politically motivated ones.

Forum List

Back