World Cup 2006 - No Haters Please

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/schedule/default.stm

Click on the game that is on and you will get a play by play (refreshes every 2 minutes).

Japan isn't that bad of a team. Their J-League has some good competition - they show highlights on Foxsports Soccer Channel and there are some quality players over there.

I would love to see a U.S. win; I don't think we have a chance of going through without it.

What a great first World Cup Match ever for the Aussies. Three goals in the last 8 minutes to win.

Roomy has probably seen Cahill play (Everton) so he knows how talented he is.

Good result for them.

I'm sure the Japanese coach won't have too many good things to say after this match.

GotZoom said:
What a great first World Cup Match ever for the Aussies. Three goals in the last 8 minutes to win.

Roomy has probably seen Cahill play (Everton) so he knows how talented he is.

Good result for them.

I'm sure the Japanese coach won't have too many good things to say after this match.

Japan handled the ball well, but couldn't score. Even the one goal they did score wasn't without controversy. They blew it in the end and of course, we have to give credit to Australia. This was their first appearance in 32 years and the first time they ever scored in WC match play. Good for them! They cost me though as I had picked Japan on my parlay card. The only parlay card I have left in play has the US on it. They must win and they are getting a 1/2 point so if they draw with Czech, I win. Go USA!!

GotZoom said:
Oh geez.

4 minutes in an a yellow card.

Minute later we're down 1-0.

Down 2 nil at half... great... if they don't pull something outta their asses in the 2nd half, they can give up advancing.

We're done. Rosicky's first was just sick; his second was sweet - such a nice touch.

Now we have to beat Italy and Ghana. Or at least hope Italy loses two games by a huge goal differential.

First off, I am not taking anything away from the Czech Republic. They looked good. However... the USA looked like a bunch of kids playing soccer. They had no ball control, they stayed bunched up and their defence was non existent.

I hope this was just a fluke and not indicative of how they will play in their next two matches.

freeandfun1 said:
First off, I am not taking anything away from the Czech Republic. They looked good. However... the USA looked like a bunch of kids playing soccer. They had no ball control, they stayed bunched up and their defence was non existent.

I hope this was just a fluke and not indicative of how they will play in their next two matches.

I'm right with you. We looked terrible. Unorganized with just a few moments of brilliance. Donovan had very little impact. Reyna had a couple of flashes but that was about it. I don't fault Keller for any of the goals; they were all brilliant. Koller's - well, he is a monster and I don't know anyone who can cover him in the air. Both of Rosicky's were beautiful; his first will be one of the tops goals of the tournament.

If this is any indication of what is to come, then we will be three and out.

And lucky to score even one goal.

We are better than this.

no1tovote4 said:
That was some ugly HS style soccer out there! What is up? Did they overly promote the US and its team? Come on!

I didn't watch them much in the qualifying rounds, so I am not sure if they have been over-hyped or what... They looked worse than Sweden and I thought Sweden looked bad!

Forza Italia! What a game. 32 total shots on goal, 5 yellow cards.

Italy looked good. They have never been one to start fast but today they were totally different. Four corner kicks in the first eight minutes; definitely on the attack.

Totti coming back defintely helped them.

GotZoom said:
Forza Italia! What a game. 32 total shots on goal, 5 yellow cards.

Italy looked good. They have never been one to start fast but today they were totally different. Four corner kicks in the first eight minutes; definitely on the attack.

Totti coming back defintely helped them.

Italy showed great speed and they moved the ball downfield quickly. Ghana looked pretty good too all things considered.

I hate to be a quitter, but it looks like the USA will not advance. Italy is their next match and it looks like Italy will likely win. And frankly, I'm not counting out an Ghana win or at least draw with the US.

Go Aussie! And Cahill you good thing! First win and first goals in a World Cup final! Good on them.
I'm with you Roomy on your predictions...but what if...what if Croatia did the unexpected..heh!

I know I am late in posting and it is 1-0 but I sure would like to see Togo win this one. They have have huge problems with getting paid for their games and even had their coach walk about 3 days before the World Cup started.

Only chance for an upset today is France - Switzerland. France is a lot stronger this cup than last. Henry is on form. Zidane will play better than the last game he played with the national team (last game on French soil for him). Barthez will be questionable. If Switzerland can an early lead and stack the defense, it should be interesting.

Brazil - Croatia will be excellent. I think Brazil will handle them easily. Two or Three goal difference in the final score.

Not a bad game. Korea dominated on possesion (64 minutes - 36 minutes) and had almost double the shots on goal (16-9).

The red card to Abalo hurt Togo. With him out next game, I say their chances are zippo now.

Koreas second goal was pretty sweet...nice touch.

I doubt either team will advance with France and Switzerland in the group. If France beats Switzerland by a big margin later today, and Korea and upset Switzerland, Korea could advance. I'm not holding my breath for them though.

French headlines tomorrow will demand the head of Coach Domenech and the French Football Federation.

Zero goals scored in the 2002 World Cup and now, the first game of the 2006 World Cup and no scoring. Uninspired play today. Absolutely terrible. The one bright spot in the French side was Makelele (man of the match).

The game was a very even; Time of possession nearly split down the middle (France - 51% , Switzerland 49%) with Franch having one more shot (9-8) but Switzerland topping them 4-3 on shots on goal.

Nothing less than two wins in their remaining games (Togo and Korea) will be acceptable to the French Fans. They need to figure how how to score some goals. They did not score in their three games in 2002, and now, the first in 2006, still no goals. And this with some of the best goal scoreres in the world: Zidane, Henry, Trezequet (who did not even play).

Les Bleus is in trouble.

Brazil 1 - Croatia 0

Brazil was somewhat impressive; dominated all the stats except time of possession (split 50/50).

Kaka's goal was perfect - left footed shot into the left upper corner of the goal - a thing of beauty.

Could have easily been a high scoring game with both teams missing on a few opportunities.

Croatia had a few chances but certainly could have done better with them. Put two shots hard at Dida and failed to capitilize on his bobble (gave up a corner) on an additional shot. Another header just went over the bar.

Kaka, Ronaldinho, and Ronaldo had a few shots just miss the goal.

Croatia was lucky to get away with a one goal loss.

GotZoom said:
Brazil 1 - Croatia 0

Brazil was somewhat impressive; dominated all the stats except time of possession (split 50/50).

Kaka's goal was perfect - left footed shot into the left upper corner of the goal - a thing of beauty.

Could have easily been a high scoring game with both teams missing on a few opportunities.

Croatia had a few chances but certainly could have done better with them. Put two shots hard at Dida and failed to capitilize on his bobble (gave up a corner) on an additional shot. Another header just went over the bar.

Kaka, Ronaldinho, and Ronaldo had a few shots just miss the goal.

Croatia was lucky to get away with a one goal loss.

croatia showed brazil is human....a bit of luck and croatia win this 3-2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_World_Cup

Forum List

Back