Working in the US

Devonchick

Rookie
Aug 11, 2004
I am thinking about coming over to the US later next year, hopefully for a year. I am currently working as Paralegal in England for a Solicitors.

Can anyone advise me on the best working Visa to apply for and how hard it would be for me to find work. I have a friend in Texas so that is the sort of area i will be staying in.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Devonchick said:
I am thinking about coming over to the US later next year, hopefully for a year. I am currently working as Paralegal in England for a Solicitors.

Can anyone advise me on the best working Visa to apply for and how hard it would be for me to find work. I have a friend in Texas so that is the sort of area i will be staying in.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Find somebody that will hire you and have them write a letter to INS stating they need you because you have "x" skills that are difficult to find in "whatever, location". They can even then run an ad in the local paper for somebody with those skill sets needed and use that as "proof" that they cannot find anybody locally.

If you speak another language other than English, it is much easier as they can say they need, for example, "a paralegal fluent in French, Spanish or whatever".

Thanks for replying.

Can you recommend any good sites for looking for work in the States?

Either, i work in private at the moment but i do some work for a client with is goverment based. I don't really know where to start looking so any help is appreciated.

I would imagine that, if you have the proper education, aromatherapy massage would be fairly easy to get into if you live in a major city. Of course, there are lawyers pretty much anywhere, so I would imagine that you'd have no trouble getting into that field either! :D

gop_jeff said:
I would imagine that, if you have the proper education, aromatherapy massage would be fairly easy to get into if you live in a major city. Of course, there are lawyers pretty much anywhere, so I would imagine that you'd have no trouble getting into that field either! :D

Well i am just about to start an evening college course in aromatherapy and it takes a year to complete. The qualification i get is recognised world wide. I might go into that, a change from being in an office.

What do you do, and where about are you in the States? If you don't mind me asking.

Devonchick said:
Well i am just about to start an evening college course in aromatherapy and it takes a year to complete. The qualification i get is recognised world wide. I might go into that, a change from being in an office.

What do you do, and where about are you in the States? If you don't mind me asking.

Each state has different laws regarding massage, etc. So don't believe that you will be certified "worldwide". You better check into the laws of not only the states, but the cities where you think you might want to practice this trade.

Devonchick said:

Well I live near Seattle, WA, but I was born and raised in Houston, Texas.

And I will echo freenadfun's comments. My wife is a massage therapist and she will tell you that the requirements for massage vary from state to state. The education you are getting may be recognized by the state as legitimate, but each state has different licensing requirements.

Not to sound sexist..... but.....

If you are nice looking and are well-equipped up top (hell, even that can be fixed) with a nice body, I would suggest coming to Vegas and getting a job as a cocktail waitress. You can make a LOT of money and most of it is paid in CASH!

Maybe you could get a job at the London Club in the Aladdin Hotel.

gop_jeff said:
Well I live near Seattle, WA, but I was born and raised in Houston, Texas.

And I will echo freenadfun's comments. My wife is a massage therapist and she will tell you that the requirements for massage vary from state to state. The education you are getting may be recognized by the state as legitimate, but each state has different licensing requirements.

Does your wife enjoy her job, would she recommend it? Whats the pay like, is it reasonable?

Does she have any helpful tips for getting into it as a career or training that is good to have?

Why can't the university assist you?

I have a relative in Ireland who is at University who can get a work visa for the states - she studies mental cases - not the politically correct term of course.
I know Ireland has many of them but apparently so does America - so she can get a work visa for several mos....perhaps a year but I cannot recall.
It is through her college.

Devonchick said:
Does your wife enjoy her job, would she recommend it? Whats the pay like, is it reasonable?

Does she have any helpful tips for getting into it as a career or training that is good to have?

Here's the government page for massage licensing in Texas, they should have some good info on training and education requirements.
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/hcqs/plc/massage.htm

The going rate is anywhere from $35-$60/hr doing massage. Assuming $50/hr, 5 massages a day, 5 days a week for 50 weeks a year gives a gross of $56,000/yr - not a bad living. However, that's pretty hard work, and you'd have to build up a solid clientele base.

I'll have to ask what kind of tips she has about getting into the business.

Thanks for that, i will look at the sight now, and yeah if she has any tips i would be grateful.

Cheers

Forum List

Back