"Working Class Hero"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by georgephillip, Apr 7, 2011.

1. georgephillip

georgephillip Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    "...is something to be
    Keep you doped on religion and sex and TV
    And you think you're so clever and classless and free
    But you're still fucking (slaves) as far as I can see."

'Apologies to John Lennon since he used the word "peasants" instead of "slaves". I suspect Lennon was a millionaire many times over when he wrote these lyrics.

Why is it America's corporate rich reward themselves "in direct proportion to the amount of suffering they have caused" and taxpayers who bailed out Wall Street continue to deny the existence of class war?

Are you disputing gravity also?

"Instead of taxing the super rich on the bonuses dispensed by top corporations such as Exxon, Bank of America, General Electric, Chevron and Boeing, all of which managed to avoid paying any federal corporate taxes last year, the politicians of both parties in Congress are about to accede to the Republican demand that programs that help ordinary folks be cut to pay for the programs that bailed out the banks."

Cut the programs like Headstart that help the children of ordinary taxpayers to pay for the programs that are bailing out Wall Street?

Only slaves born to serve the corporation (or the cross) could vote for that.

The Peasants Need Pitchforks | Truthout

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Hard to take someone seriously, when they lie so blatantly:

Those bonuses were subject to the same income taxes every other "rich fat cat" pays.

3. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Income taxes paid at a 15% rate instead of the 35% paid by productive citizens who didn't crash the housing market.

Scheer's point is that instead of taxing the richest 1% of Americans at the same rates their servants pay, Republicans AND Democrats are choosing to cut Headstart.

4. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,701
    you're like clockwork trotsky, in regularly bringing this around. i'm curious, what's your spin on g.e. jeff immelt and barrak obama ??

5. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    Wash...

Robert Scheer summed up the Obama/Immelt cartel about as well as anyone I know of:

"If it had been revealed that Jeffrey Immelt once hired an undocumented nanny, or defaulted on his mortgage, he would be forced to resign as head of President Barack Obama’s 'Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.'

"But the fact that General Electric, where Immelt is CEO, didn’t pay taxes on its $14.5 billion profit last year—and indeed is asking for a $3.2 billion tax rebate—has not produced a word of criticism from the president, who in January praised Immelt as a business leader who 'understands what it takes for America to compete in the global economy.'

"What it takes, evidently, is shifting profit and jobs abroad: Only one out of three GE workers is now based in the U.S., and almost two-thirds of the company’s profit is sheltered in its foreign operations.

"Thanks to changes in the tax law engineered when another avowedly pro-business Democrat, Bill Clinton, was president, U.S. multinational financial companies can avoid taxes on their international scams.

"And financial scams are what GE excelled in for decades, when GE Capital, its financial unit, which specialized in credit card, consumer loan and housing mortgage debt, accounted for most of GE’s profits."

I'm not sure if you've been working long enough to remember the US economy of thirty years ago, when a single minimum-wage job paid enough to cover the rent on a brand new one-bedroom apartment with enough left over to maintain a six year-old car.

The economy has doubled in those three decades yet the bottom 90% of earners in the US earn an average of $280/year more than they did 30 years ago, adjusted for inflation.

I don't believe things will improve in the next three decades for at least 9 out of 10 American families, and that's why I raise this issue regularly.

Obama's Fatal Corporate Addiction | Common Dreams

6. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,701
    you are always cogent and well spoken trotsky (from seinfeld)... and determined. i wish we could win you over from the dark side. and i've seen you take a lot of crap on this board (from including myself), and you cheerfully proceed with quiet confidence. i think it's great. if you ever want to write something on any subject, i'd find a place for it at washamericom. i'm always looking for bright and smart people who argue well, from any position.
    i don't agree with your politics, but i think you're one of the best presenters on this board, i admire your style.
    who would you choose/like to be president ?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    All you can do is show them the facts, its up to them to see it.

8. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    I would feel honored to post on washamericom.

My choice of president would be determined by a contest between Ralph Nader (in spite of his age) and Ron Paul (Libertarian) with the loser being offered the vice presidency.

I think it's true that for many of us the economy of 2008 hasn't disappeared down the corporate memory hole, yet. If the economy of 2012 is even worse for 90+% of Americans, I'm hopeful that many (especially those who don't usually vote) will decide to FLUSH hundreds of Democrats, and a few Republicans, from the US Congress is a single news cycle.

Thanks for you kind remarks. Only on the Internet is it possible to communicate consistently with as wide a range of opinion as you see on USMB.

9. georgephillip

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    "In politics when reason and emotion collide, emotion invariably wins."

Drew Westin makes this point in his book The Political Brain to demonstrate why Democrats consistently lose to Republicans on questions like why so many working class Americans regularly cast ballots in opposition to their economic interests.

Democrats place most of their confidence in the Marketplace of Ideas while Republicans own the Marketplace of Emotions. Think back to the 2004 Presidential election and imagine the emotional gain Democrats could have achieved if Kerry had pulled out some of Bush's campaign footage from 2000 showing Dubya with his arm around his biggest campaign contributor, Enron's Ken Lay, and promising to "run this country like a CEO runs a company."

It's a little scary to believe most of our political decisions are actually based on emotion instead of reason.

The Political Brain copyright 2008 p.36

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,701
    i agree. could give me a thousand words on what ever you want.? the only rule is no "c" word, other than that, pretty much anything goes. thanks man ! if it goes well you can have your own page, it's the "america''s website" now, so i'll need help filling it out... know any democrats ??
    cheers trotsky ! i'll pm you the details.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011