Workers' rights/Happy Days!!!m GOP depressed.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by AtlasShrieked, Jun 25, 2008.

1. AtlasShrieked

AtlasShrieked Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Workers' rights boosted by US Supreme Court:clap2:

:clap2:

2. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    The problem with protecting certain demographics with legislation is that it creates an incentive to not hire them in the first place. For example, unemployment among the handicapped went up after the americans with disabilities act was passed. No one wants to hire someone that they can't fire. In France, it is very difficult to fire people in general--great, except that it's more difficult to get a job to begin with.

Really though the bottom line is freedom of association and property rights. If someone worked hard to build a business, they have the right to do business with whoever they please, even if it's for foolish reasons. If they're passing up good employees with decades of experience, they will suffer and their competitors who hire them will benefit. (I suspect that any age discrimination is due to the cost of health care coverage. And coverage is illogically tied to employment, thanks to heavy tax incentives.)

3. AtlasShrieked

AtlasShrieked Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    unemployment went up after the ada was passed and you draw what conclusions?

I heard people went on the disability roles in greater numbers and once people are on them it is difficult for them to get off because of the risks involved in getting back on them.

I think the % is lower because we are not recruiting the disabled in ways that would allow more reasonable accommodations and a streamlined process for going back on the roles if the particular employment scenario doesn't work out.

Disability law and issues is a complex subject

4. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    if you were an employer what rights would you want with respect to terminating someones employment.....

5. AtlasShrieked

AtlasShrieked Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've been in management and I've been an employer.

There are reasons you cannot discriminate against people in employment. Employment is not about association.

A reasonable employer can fire just about anyone, just not for any reason...like their gender etc.

it is so simple it escapes my imagination why employers get caught up in this crap. it says more about the employer or their managers than it does about society