Work is for suckers

dfens

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2016
Admit it, it's true.

Now, obviously, some people do really well working. But, you can't use the exception to prove the rule.

For 90% of us, work is just what pays society's debts, and work is what enables other people not to work, to live the life of the welfare cheats or criminals at the bottom, and the corrupt and degenerate at the top.

We work because we like shelter, food, and don't want to be homeless or end up in prison being gang raped. Enough incentive, to be sure, but hardly inspiring anymore.

What you Americans call welfare system, is a private slave market in reality. After your few weeks are up you lose even the health insurance and your food stamps remind one of a serious economic crisis.

welfare cheats? lol I love how republican propaganda is so strong that people think theres just millions of people cheating welfare and living on "their" tax dollars. When in reality the few people who are on welfare are usually the disabled and the working poor (mostly from red states too but thats another story). Mean while these good and true workers are usually living in heavily subsidized areas, farm subsidies, military bases, highways railroads, etc in states that receive more in federal money than they pay in taxes and in counties that have not paid a net benefit to federal taxes since it was founded.

welfare cheats? lol I love how republican propaganda is so strong that people think theres just millions of people cheating welfare and living on "their" tax dollars. When in reality the few people who are on welfare are usually the disabled and the working poor (mostly from red states too but thats another story). Mean while these good and true workers are usually living in heavily subsidized areas, farm subsidies, military bases, highways railroads, etc in states that receive more in federal money than they pay in taxes and in counties that have not paid a net benefit to federal taxes since it was founded.
46 million are currently on food stamps.

Wow - 14% of entire population gets help to buy food. That number only goes up under Republican administrations & drops under Democrats.
fredgraph.png

85% of which are either working or on social security (as in retired or disabled), for a total of $75 billion a year about $2500 per household, every dollar of which spent generates $1.73 in GDP, a GDP that last year was $17.5 trillion......

I know all the stats your rush limbaugh propaganda wont work on me

Wow - 14% of entire population gets help to buy food. That number only goes up under Republican administrations & drops under Democrats.
fredgraph.png
I almost fear your graph does not exactly back your claim...

85% of which are either working or on social security (as in retired or disabled), for a total of $75 billion a year about $2500 per household, every dollar of which spent generates $1.73 in GDP, a GDP that last year was $17.5 trillion......

Of course, they are working. The slave market, remember? It isn´t about propaganda.

Of course, they are working. The slave market, remember? It isn´t about propaganda.
the "slave market" part is the propaganda...

Slightly exaggerated, granted. It is a privatized institution, though, and everyone can come and "hire" and "fire" his servants.

Slightly exaggerated, granted. It is a privatized institution, though, and everyone can come and "hire" and "fire" his servants.
slightly exaggerated propaganda

Admit it, it's true.

Now, obviously, some people do really well working. But, you can't use the exception to prove the rule.

For 90% of us, work is just what pays society's debts, and work is what enables other people not to work, to live the life of the welfare cheats or criminals at the bottom, and the corrupt and degenerate at the top.

We work because we like shelter, food, and don't want to be homeless or end up in prison being gang raped. Enough incentive, to be sure, but hardly inspiring anymore.

true enough!! workforce participation is way down and govt benefits are way way up

Recently, Ron Haskins of the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank, testified before the House Budget Committee on the growth of the 10-largest “means tested” federal programs that serve people who qualify by various definitions of poverty.

Here’s what Haskins reported: From 1980 to 2011, annual spending on these programs grew from $126 billion to $626 billion (all figures in inflation-adjusted “2011 dollars”); dividing this by the number of people below the government poverty line, spending went from $4,300 per poor person in 1980 to $13,000 in 2011. In 1962, spending per person in poverty was $516.

Haskins’s list includes Medicaid, food stamps (now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP), the earned-income tax credit (a wage subsidy for some low-income workers), and Pell Grants. There are other, smaller programs dedicated to the poor. A report from the Congressional Research Service estimated the total number at 83; Haskins puts the additional spending on programs below the 10 largest at about $210 billion. The total of all programs for the poor exceeds $800 billion.

To be sure, some spending reflects the effects of the Great Recession. But most doesn’t. As Haskins shows, spending on the poor has increased steadily for decades. Consider food stamps. There are now about 45 million Americans receiving an average of $287 a month in food stamps, up from 26 million in 2007, according to a new Congressional Budget Office report. But the number in 2007, when the economy was healthy, was roughly 50 percent higher than in 2001.

And programs for the poor pale beside middle-class transfers. The giants here are Social Security at $725 billion in 2011 and Medicare at $560 billion. Combine all this spending -- programs for the poor, Social Security and Medicare — and the total is nearly $2.1 trillion. That was about 60 percent of 2011 non-interest federal spending of $3.4 trillion.

New Topics

Forum List

Back