Words which mean absolutely nothing.

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
:) After reading this, the title of this will be funny. :)

Very. Super. Bad.

I love you very much.
I am super tired.
I want that car badly.

Lately I've been noticing a number of words which, in context, have no/little meaning.

I love you much. That means There is a quantifable amount of Love I have for you. Why add the word 'very'? It doesn't change the root-meaning of the thought - which boils down further to 'I love you.'.

Other thoughts which have been bouncing around my mind:

I don't think I can.
I think I cannot.

I've been changing how I express myself, removing all the 'I don't think' phrases.

From
"I don't think Democrats would be good for this country"

To:

"I think democrats would be bad for this country"

which is correct? No idea - I'm thinking the second is 'more-correct'.

Thoughts?

cares?

Full-Face helmet arguments?

War in North Korea comments?

:)

By saying, "I don't think X," you are implying that you don't mean the opposite of X, but somewhere in between. In your example. "I don't think Democrats would be good for this country" means that you don't think they would be good, but you aren't willing to say that they would be bad either, though you leam more towards thinking they would be bad than good. It is a way of being a little bit ambiguous. But I don't think you like ambiguity anyways! :D

Originally posted by gop_jeff
By saying, "I don't think X," you are implying that you don't mean the opposite of X, but somewhere in between. In your example. "I don't think Democrats would be good for this country" means that you don't think they would be good, but you aren't willing to say that they would be bad either, though you leam more towards thinking they would be bad than good. It is a way of being a little bit ambiguous. But I don't think you like ambiguity anyways! :D

Right. It's used that way because people are afraid to make a decision.

:)

I don't think Mc Donalds has Bacon Burgers.

I think Mc Donalds doesn't have Bacon Burgers.

;)

Like, oh my gosh
I stayed up so late last night that I was, like, super tired.
You know what I mean?

That expression is one of my least favorites--"you know what I mean?"

If you speak clearly, your audience SHOULD understand what you mean making that expression moot.

I say Helluva lot.
If you believe in hell... I think you could fit alot more in Hell than someone's ass.

Originally posted by nycflasher
I say Helluva lot.
If you believe in hell... I think you could fit alot more in Hell than someone's ass.

I can think of certain individuals that would like to try to disprove that with their own.

:rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by NewGuy
I can think of certain individuals that would like to try to disprove that with their own.

:rolleyes: :D

Might I suggest the verbal diarrhea of RWA and Big D, to name a couple....:p:

New Topics

Forum List

Back