Words or phrases that only exist in the media

Stuff that you would never use in a real life situation,

Such as -
Zany - Have you ever used the word ? Why would you ?
Madcap - Another one. Again have you ever described a film as a "madcap comedy" ? No you havent. Nobody has.

Beau - Really ?

Common Law Wife - Lets go back to the 30s shall we ?

I hate these expressions.

Bombshell

Consensus

Tipping Point

Gravitas

Bombshell is a major step forward in this. I have never seen it anywhere outside a tabloid headline. Respect to you sir.

I will also accept Gravitas and Tipping point as well. You cant have consensus though , we all use that when we decide where the wife wants to eat.

And on that bombshell...................................

Bombshell! Wife say wants Mexican!

Er, I mean for dinner, ya perv

Such as -
Madcap - Another one. Again have you ever described a film as a "madcap comedy" ? No you havent. Nobody has.

Beau - Really ?

I have never in real life heard anyone refer to something as a "fracas", but the media frequently do. Also who uses "war-torn" except the media?

Also "Love Nest" and "Love Rat" and prostitutes in the media are called "vice girls" things you would not hear in a real life situation.

Such as -

Beau - Really ?

I have never in real life heard anyone refer to something as a "fracas", but the media frequently do. Also who uses "war-torn" except the media?

Also "Love Nest" and "Love Rat" and prostitutes in the media are called "vice girls" things you would not hear in a real life situation.
Love rat is up there with "rotter" and "cad" - pure evil.
You cant have fracas though. Its used a lot in certain circles when certain types wish to downplay a riot or an "off" of some type.

Yes I know it's the British, but I always thought it was kinda stupid how Dailymail often uses the word "yobs" for crooks. It sounds so silly.

Example:

Yobs leave grown men in tears when they smash up model railway exhibition | Daily Mail Online

I used to read Dailymail a lot, but thankfully, I quit going there several months ago when they started requiring you to disable the adblocker. They have many ads that make it run real slow. Also, their articles are rife with typos. I'm sorry though since their US articles IMO are more complete and have a better selection.

Forum List

Back