Words from a great man

Hell I thought it was Gen. Lee's Birthday.... oooo well guess I have to work Monday
LOL
Jeff

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Did I mention race-baiting earlier?

Did I mention reality earlier? Either enter into the real world or ignore the posts you don't care for. Why is that so hard for you to do?

Originally posted by jimnyc
Either enter into the real world or ignore the posts you don't care for. Why is that so hard for you to do?

As a hospice nurse, I'm in the real world each and every day. It's just that some posts display such a depth and breadth of ignorance that they cannot go unanswered.

As a hospice nurse, I'm in the real world each and every day. It's just that some posts display such a depth and breadth of ignorance that they cannot go unanswered.

Why not dispute the FACTS if you don't like them? Do you agree with them and just think we shouldn't speak of them? Do you disagree and just fail to come up with an argument?

How do you explain this one:

"More than 35% of all Black men in U.S. Cities are drug or alcohol abusers."

or how about this one:

"Approximately 50% of all Black males will be arrested and charged with a serious felony during their lifetime."

Do you think maybe the crime is so high because they are either drunk or high?

Originally posted by jimnyc
Why not dispute the FACTS if you don't like them? Do you agree with them and just think we shouldn't speak of them? Do you disagree and just fail to come up with an argument?

Testy, aren't we?

Firstly, the figures you quote aren't facts. They are statistics, the interpretation of which is always open to debate.

As to their causes, poverty, despair, lack of opportunity, ignorance, undereducation. The current paradigm is treatment of the symptoms, i.e. substance abuse, violence, rather than treatment of the causes. IN the long run this is the most expensive option.

Treat the causes before the symptoms manifest...A much more cost effective solution.

Testy, aren't we?

Not at all, just asking some simple questions.

Firstly, the figures you quote aren't facts. They are statistics, the interpretation of which is always open to debate.

Ummmm...... Statistical information IS fact. It's the interpretation of those facts that is based on opinion.

As to their causes, poverty, despair, lack of opportunity, ignorance, undereducation. The current paradigm is treatment of the symptoms, i.e. substance abuse, violence, rather than treatment of the causes. IN the long run this is the most expensive option.

Doesn't change the facts.

Treat the causes before the symptoms manifest...A much more cost effective solution.

I'm assuming you cannot dispute the facts then?

Please Bullypulpit, explain to us all how affirmative action is NOT a race based preference system. I thought we decided race based preferences were bad.

You don't even want to go there with AA, it works for one RACE ONLY!!!! others can say as they like, I have seen how it works for too many years. When worked in a HUGE company, Affirmative Action was there and only used for one win situation. It wasn't worth going to them if you were not Black, sorry those are FACTS!

...What it is, no matter how much we wish it were otherwise.

I take reality as it comes, no fear there. Just what is.
It seems to me that some people on this board are presenting you with the facts as they see them. The only thing you've shown is your contempt for others. If someone chooses to relate things that they've seen, heard and been involved in which show a difference between the races or were the foundations for their beliefs, instead of just calling them ignorant perhaps you'd be better off just ignoring them.

You are correct that statistics can and are interpreted different ways. You may be fortunate that you live in a utopian situation- I and many people, however, do not. We see the inequality of prior generations slipping the other way. Instead of proffering evidence to the contrary or, by acknowledging that their experiences are valid but call for greater understanding of how we can improve upon them, you call people ignorant.

The only ignorance here is you, and that's because you fail to give credence to people who, like it or not, have had a very different life experience with minorities.

Originally posted by Moi
The only ignorance here is you, and that's because you fail to give credence to people who, like it or not, have had a very different life experience with minorities.

But the choice is theirs in how that experience shapes their view of minorities. They can choose to look beyond the stereotypes and see people for what and who they are, or they can take the easy road and let the stereotypes be their only yardstick, and the stereotype is not reality.

I have a dream,
"...where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today."

on the eve of his assassination,
"Like anybody, I would like to live a long life; longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And he's allowed me to go up to the mountain, and I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land."

But the choice is theirs in how that experience shapes their view of minorities. They can choose to look beyond the stereotypes and see people for what and who they are, or they can take the easy road and let the stereotypes be their only yardstick, and the stereotype is not reality.
Seems to me you do just that by calling them ignorant and using other derrogatory statements. The facts that they've provided along with their personal experiences shapes their beliefs. That doesn't make them ignorant. You may believe that they should work toward a more laudable society, but that doesn't make people ignorant or wrong.

I have no idea where you live, but there are many educated people who don't believe that crime, reverse discrimination and welfare are ever going to make this country better than it is. Just becuase someone's poor doesn't excuse criminal behavior.

You are more guilty than those you beseech of not looking past stereotypes and taking an easy road. You choose not to deal with the facts about crime, moral abrogation, etc. and how they are woven into the racial divide. Deal with those facts by using intelligence and persuasion instead of derision. If you can.

Originally posted by Moi
Just becuase someone's poor doesn't excuse criminal behavior.

I never said it did. I merely stated some of the causes, not excuses. Nothing justifies criminal behavior. In a free society one is free to act, but with that freedom comes responsiblity. Criminal behavior is the abdication of that responsibility, and should...no, must be punished. Those who fail to take responsibility for their actions must face the consequences of those actions.

The senseless murder of a peaceful, God fearing man who only wanted what all of you pro-Iraq war people are so gung-ho about for the Iraqis. Liberty and freedom for black people.

Why can't you just either post something nice about him or post nothing?

-Bam

Originally posted by bamthin
The senseless murder of a peaceful, God fearing man who only wanted what all of you pro-Iraq war people are so gung-ho about for the Iraqis. Liberty and freedom for black people.

I didn't realize liberty and freedom for blacks is what we wanted for the Iraqi's.

Why can't you just either post something nice about him or post nothing?

I don't think agreeing or only having nice things to say is a prerequisite for posting.

What about fact #75:

On Jan. 31, 1977, Martin Luther King's FBI records were sealed by court order until the year 2027 because, as his wife said, "its release would destroy his reputation" These records are rumored to contain instances of bizarre sexual perversion and homosexuality, and proof that King was under the direct orders of Soviet spies and financed by the Communist Party.

Forum List

Back