Word to parents!!!

Yesterday, my son was supposed to unload the dishwasher. He was asked several times to do it, and never did. It finally got to 5 p.m. and he still had not done the requested chore, so he was made to not only unload the dishwasher, but to wash ALL of the dinner dishes in the sink, by hand. I think it got the message through. I came home from work today and the dishwasher was completely unloaded.

I don't think hitting your kid is required to get a point across. There are a ton of ways to discipline your child WITHOUT hitting, and still have well-behaved children.

I do agree that a lot of parents don't discipline their children, but the biggest issue I've seen is follow-through and making sure you stick to the consequences. Being creative can also work well. My kids never slam doors because they know they will (literally) lose their doors.

I have a problem with a guy who knocks his kid around in front of other guys, who applaud him.

I think it's a little nauseating.

It has finnaly happened , I agree with allie.

I have a 6' 200lbs son who 20.

I never hit him and never had to.

He has told me to fuck off before and I laughed. He was joking arround with me.

He never said anything like that to me when he was a child.

He did what I said out of love and respect because that is how I treated him.

Adults always remarked at what a well behaved, intelligent and mature kid eh was. His best friends were always two years older than him.

If you treat your kids with respect you will get respect in return.

As for not caring what someones kids day was like Im just the opposite. I do care and do listen to any kid (hell adult too) who talks to me and seems to want to talk to someone. You NEVER know just how important that is to someone at that momment. Kids are just small people.

When my boy came home from school and acted out, that was an indication something had happened at school. I'd have to drag it out of him, but once I did, he'd be his old self again.

My brother-in-law's method was to lecture. When one of his or my kids got into any sort of difficulty (i.e., trouble) or were exhibiting wrong thinking, he would sit them down and "talk" to them. For hours. Around and around over and over. Without ever raising his voice or intimidating them or demeaning them.

They absolutely DREADED it.

I called it the 45 minute lecture.

When the kids had a problem solving their little squabbles I would sit them all down and we would go over everything that happened and how this one or that one may have handled their end of it better. They were so ready to end it before I was done that they would not make the same mistake again. They got along great and would solve their own disagreements to avoid the 45 minute lecture and disruption of play time.

Lol. My brother-in-law would devote an entire afternoon to the lecture.

The kids would beg, "No, mom, please don't let Uncle John TALK to me!" when they thought it was imminent.

Lol. My brother-in-law would devote an entire afternoon to the lecture.

The kids would beg, "No, mom, please don't let Uncle John TALK to me!" when they thought it was imminent.

I found 45 minutes was just enough to get the desired effect.

Forum List

Back