Wooten: Pol. Sci. 100

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/wooten/2004/090504.html?UrAuth=`NXNUOcNZUbTTUWUXUUUZTZUbUWU_UVUZUbU[UcTYWYWZV#

Short fuse betrays Kerry

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 9/5/04

John Kerry should have slept on it. His midnight outburst following President Bush's rousing success in defining himself, his domestic agenda and the stakes in the war on terrorism reveals a candidate who can be goaded. Not good in a president.

"For the past week, they have attacked my patriotism and even my fitness to serve as commander in chief," said Kerry early Friday in Springfield, Ohio. "Well, here's my answer to them. I will not have my commitment to defend this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they could've and who misled America into Iraq."

Clearly seething with the TV remote control when he was to be relaxing during Republican convention week, Kerry blew at the first opportunity.

Nobody, of course, questioned his patriotism. His policies, yes. His votes during 20 years in the Senate, yes. His apparent inability to make and abide a decision, yes. His commitment to a strong military, yes. His patriotism, no.

It's a revealing outburst. Despite the pounding Kerry took from the partisans, the weeklong break had actually served Kerry's campaign.

The mainstream media, most Democrats and others who don't quite grasp the significance or understand the emotionalism of events of three decades ago are dying to move on to other, more comfortable subjects. So what does he do? Rants and revives the debate about individual conduct during the Vietnam war.

When this campaign is over -- and barring some disaster, Bush will win -- Democrats would be well advised to re-examine the primary election process that assures candidates of the party's nomination before they are fully known and tested. Four days of a national convention is far too little time to define an unknown, and when, as with Kerry, the carefully orchestrated definition unravels, it's seat-of-the-pants from then on.

The Republican convention, and U.S. Sen. Zell Miller (D-Ga.) and Vice President Dick Cheney in particular, were devastating in filling in the blanks, in defining Kerry's 20-year Senate career. As is now the pattern -- we saw it with his response to the swift-boat veterans -- his approach is to ignore the charges and charge the chargers. They're all liars, conspirators or unworthies daring to question his record. Has he not already told us that he's inoculated against impertinent questions?

This will be a nasty campaign. Kerry's base is angry and insistent that he project their anger to expose George W. Bush so that the whole country can see him as they do.

Their problem is that the country doesn't. He's a likable, modest man, endearing in his humility. He is awed that grieving families offering final farewells to soldiers killed in combat include him in their prayers "to offer encouragement to me."

In expression and demeanor, Bush is the American ideal, the man next door who rises to the occasion, who finds his resolve in our condition. And despite the stress of crisis leadership, he retains a sense of humor about himself. He's not an easy target for angry Democrats who despise him.

Rising to the challenge to address domestic issues, too, Bush laid out an ambitious agenda with a common theme: slowly weaning the country from over-reliance on government by encouraging greater self-reliance and by rewarding individuals for being responsible.

It's an ambitious agenda that, like the war on terrorism, will be completed by his successors. But there's no denying his agenda is the reflection of a vision.

"In all these proposals, we seek to provide not just a government program, but a path, a plan to greater opportunity, more freedom and more control over your own life."

Liberals hear that as conservative jibberish. They're wrong.

It may take it as long as it took to win the Cold War, but George W. Bush has a domestic and a peace agenda as grand as Ronald Reagan's.

Very good article. Hope kerry doesn't read it. It might cause him to clean up his act.

What am I saying?????? No way in hell that arrogant blue blood would ever change. In his view, it's the rest of us who need to do the changing. He's already perfect.

Forum List

Back