Woodward: Kerry Distorting My Book

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward is complaining that Sen. John Kerry is distorting a brief passage in his book "Plan of Attack" to claim that President Bush struck a "secret deal" with the Saudis to lower oil prices before the election.

"Senator Kerry took what was in the book and called it a secret deal," Woodward told Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes" on Wednesday. "And that, I think that was not in my book and not in the facts as we know them now."

"There are two sentences in there about the Saudi ambassador, Prince Bandar, saying that the Saudis hoped to lower oil prices in the months before the election," the former Watergate star explained. "It turns out Prince Bandar said that publicly April 2, went out on the driveway of the White House and said this."

Woodward said that rather than any secret deal, the Saudis routinely make such pledges to incumbent presidents, adding that he was looking forward to Riyadh making good on the promise.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/22/222952.shtml

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
curious, whats your take on the woodward book at this point?

I think it's pretty hard to comment at this point as I haven't read it. It appears the press and politicians would like to report only on the negative aspects and ignore the rest. Colin Powell has already disputed much of what was said as well. At this point, I would believe Powell before Woodward.

Forum List

Back