Woodstock 50 loses site: Watkins Glen racetrack says it won't host

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Woodstock was 50 yeas ago this August.

First they lost their finance partner.

Then they lost their production company.

Now, organizers for the Woodstock 50 festival have lost their site. And with less than 70 days remaining until the Aug. 16-18 festival begins, the uncertainty and drama that has surrounded the troubled concert for weeks is escalating.

Watkins Glen International racetrack in Schuyler County announced Monday afternoon that it would not be hosting Woodstock 50 and its planned performances by Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, the Lumineers, Santana and dozens of other acts.

UPDATE: Woodstock 50 says it is shifting to new venue after losing Watkins Glen

“Watkins Glen International terminated the site license for Woodstock pursuant to provisions of the contract,” a statement from the racetrack said. “As such, WGI will not be hosting the Woodstock 50 Festival."

Though organizers have maintained all performers remain under contract, the event did not secure a mass gathering permit from the state Department of Health, which is needed to place tickets on sale.

Woodstock was 50 yeas ago this August.

First they lost their finance partner.

Then they lost their production company.

Now, organizers for the Woodstock 50 festival have lost their site. And with less than 70 days remaining until the Aug. 16-18 festival begins, the uncertainty and drama that has surrounded the troubled concert for weeks is escalating.

Watkins Glen International racetrack in Schuyler County announced Monday afternoon that it would not be hosting Woodstock 50 and its planned performances by Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, the Lumineers, Santana and dozens of other acts.

UPDATE: Woodstock 50 says it is shifting to new venue after losing Watkins Glen

“Watkins Glen International terminated the site license for Woodstock pursuant to provisions of the contract,” a statement from the racetrack said. “As such, WGI will not be hosting the Woodstock 50 Festival."

Though organizers have maintained all performers remain under contract, the event did not secure a mass gathering permit from the state Department of Health, which is needed to place tickets on sale.
quote-you-can-t-go-home-again-because-home-has-ceased-to-exist-except-in-the-mothballs-of-john-steinbeck-78-28-66.jpg

Last edited:
That makes sense, but what does it have to do with a Woodstock 50th anniversary festival ?
Everything.
You may need mushroom therapy to open some new doors or something.
I have some native friends in Oklahoma if you want their address.
I appears you and I are viewing this differently. On the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock we can all tip our hats, have a kale smoothie, play Country Joe and Jimi and Janis and Joe Cocker and smoke a doobie. But a concert? Nah

That makes sense, but what does it have to do with a Woodstock 50th anniversary festival ?
Everything.
You may need mushroom therapy to open some new doors or something.
I have some native friends in Oklahoma if you want their address.
I appears you and I are viewing this differently. On the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock we can all tip our hats, have a kale smoothie, play Country Joe and Jimi and Janis and Joe Cocker and smoke a doobie. But a concert? Nah
Yeah I'm on the same page there.
Recreating the vibe of actually experiencing Woodstock in 1969 would be an impossible task
in the US. A few places in Europe are similar but nowhere near as huge.

I missed my ride to go in '69 but the car broke down and never made it to Yasgur's farm. I'd already had the immense pleasure of living in mud for days at a time in the RVN....of course there weren't half naked hippie chicks there.

I appears you and I are viewing this differently.

When we play out, and people dance and have a good time, the whole world and it's problems fade away

That's the job of music, and those that are halfway compitent at playing it

It's the social salve , timeless, spiritual , redeming , on a good night one's soul soars

~S~

I appears you and I are viewing this differently.

When we play out, and people dance and have a good time, the whole world and it's problems fade away

That's the job of music, and those that are halfway compitent at playing it

It's the social salve , timeless, spiritual , redeming , on a good night one's soul soars

~S~
No argument here, Sparky. Woodstock was one of those times. It can't be repeated and I don't see why they are trying. It should be left in its special memory bank. Play and have as many concerts as you like.

I missed my ride to go in '69 but the car broke down and never made it to Yasgur's farm. I'd already had the immense pleasure of living in mud for days at a time in the RVN....of course there weren't half naked hippie chicks there.
My 'Woodstock' was the Mosquito Dam Jam all day festival and the World Series of Rock in Ohio back in the 70's.

My 'Woodstock' was the Mosquito Dam Jam all day festival and the World Series of Rock in Ohio back in then 70's.

Mine was the last performance by the original Fleetwood Mac and Chuck Berry at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit sometime in 1970? Best outside concert was Eagles, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt in Tempe, Az in '75 or the Stones and George Thorogood in Sun Devil Statium in '86.....took me twenty damn years but I finally saw the Stones....Keith had two cigs in his mouth the whole show....Jagger? never saw a better athlete...he ran the stairs to the top of the stadium singing without missing a note...amazing.

Mine was the last performance by the original Fleetwood Mac and Chuck Berry at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit sometime in 1970?

I still would give my left testicle to see the 'Original' Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green...

Best outside concert was

OZARK MUSIC FESTIVAL
Ozark Music Festival - Wikipedia

I finally saw the Stones...

1976 Stuttgart Germany... Rolling Stones, Billie Preston and Little Feat...

Life was really good... :04:

The Rolling Stones Setlist at Neckarstadion, Stuttgart

Mine was the last performance by the original Fleetwood Mac and Chuck Berry at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit sometime in 1970?

I still would give my left testicle to see the 'Original' Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green...

Best outside concert was

OZARK MUSIC FESTIVAL
Ozark Music Festival - Wikipedia

I finally saw the Stones...

1976 Stuttgart Germany... Rolling Stones, Billie Preston and Little Feat...

Life was really good... :04:

The Rolling Stones Setlist at Neckarstadion, Stuttgart

And Jeremy Spencer....at the end of the set, Mick Fleetwood kicked his drum set all over the stage, grabbed a mike and yelled "Fleetwood Mac motherfuckers....never forget".....awesome end to an awesome show.
giphy.gif

New Topics

Forum List

Back