IMG_0121_edit.jpg

IMG_0125_edit.jpg

IMG_0098_edit.jpg

IMG_0106_edit.jpg

IMG_0112_edit.jpg

IMG_0116_edit.jpg

IMG_0229_edit.jpg

dmp meant to say said:
That camera is great; the b&w adds so much emotion to the images. Well-done.

:)

Funny. The first two replies I received on another forum stated that the pictures would be better in color. :confused:

Abbey Normal said:
Geez, that poor bear looks so sad. You really captured something there.

My lovely wife captured that photo. :thup: Too bad she really isn't into photography. I think it's one of the best photos that were captured that day.

dmp said:
That's cuz they don't feel photograhps...they evaluate photographs. :D
Just what I was doing too..But hey, that's part of it.
Success is a photo you can feel. Creating it takes evaluation, of exposure, contrast, composition etc.
Great hobby!

Mr. P said:
Just what I was doing too..But hey, that's part of it.
Success is a photo you can feel. Creating it takes evaluation, of exposure, contrast, composition etc.
Great hobby!

:thup:

I agree that all are important. However, photography is an art form. It doesn't really 'need' technical evaluation for the most part. It is mostly about using exposure, contrast, composition, etc. to evoke a feeling or mood. Getting caught up too much in the details like:

"is this photograph properly exposed?" or
"shouldn't this photograph have more/less contrast (saturation, etc.)?" or
"why not in color?"
etc.

gets people caught up in evaluating the technical aspects.

I've seen plenty of photos that were 'technically' crap (too much contrast, saturation, shot into the sun, under/overexposed) that were fantastic because of, not in spite of these 'problems'.

These questions would serve the photographer better if they were phrased:

"If you had under exposed this photo slightly, it would have really contributed to the sleepy mood of the subject matter" or

"If the picture of the children playing had been in color, you could have increased the saturation to emphasize the energy and playfulness of the subjects" or

"If you desaturated that photo a bit more, it would really contribute to the cold environment that the subject was standing in"

You get the idea. :D

RE: Why in B&W?

Honestly? Two of the pictures in this series 'begged' to be in B&W. The one of the giraffe, with the 'X' shaped out of focus (OOF) highlights, and the bear. (BTW, the 'X' shaped highlights are the result of shooting through a chain link fence with a short enough depth of field (DOF) to blur the fence into non-existence. A cool side effect is the OOF highlights taking on the shape fo the fence.)

I could have easily processed the other photos in this series in color. I didn't for two reasons.

First, I wanted the all of the photos to 'match'.

Second, I shot these photos through a consumer grade (cheap) 75-300mm 4-5.6 lens. This lens provides poor contrast, saturation, and sharpness. As such, I stopped it down to f/8 to try to preserve some semblence of clarity. I was also shooting @ 150-300mm in many of these shots, hand-held, so I had to shoot at ISO 800 - 1600 to avoid camera shake (Image Stabilization (IS) would have allowed me to shoot at ISO 100 in this situation). ISO 800 and 1600 can be pretty noisy/grainy and I thought that this would look better in B&W than in color.

:D

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
I love Giraffes in color of black and white....nice shots! I wonder what the bear would look like in a sepia finish.

sitarro said:
I love Giraffes in color of black and white....nice shots! I wonder what the bear would look like in a sepia finish.

Thanks!

Funny you should ask. I actually like that particular picture better in sepia. However, it's nice in B&W and fits in better with the rest that way.

:thup:

misterblu said:

On Saturday, I took these photos, plus a few others, to a local photo center to have them printed.

Does it mean that you've 'made it' as a photographer if you're required to fill out a release form stating that you took the photos yourself in order to have them printed? I almost had to bring the RAW files (digital negatives) in to convince them. :cool:

I was very flattered to find that they thought my photos were those of a professional. :thup:

Perhaps I should figure out how to sell some of this stuff. I was asked why I don't start a business doing this by 4 different people this weekend. :eek:

Of course, they were all family members. ;)

It sure feels good to have people appreciate your work.

BTW, this one is going on the wall at our house:

giraffass.jpg

It looks amazing as a 12 X 18 glossy. :D My sister-in-law is getting one for her birthday as well since she collects giraffe stuff. :thup:

Forum List

Back