Wondering? What's Important?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Links at site. I'm never going to the left, but am disgusted by the 'right.' Truly, totally disgusted. There would have to be a change to get me to vote for a GOP Presidential or Congressional nominee today. Here's one person's opinion on an important point, any other suggestions?

I won't 'sit out' an election, but may well vote for losers, just not of DNC or GOP and hoping eventually there will be enough to constitute a third party. I do so wish the Libertarians weren't such dipwads:

http://anglosphere.com/weblog/archives/000283.html

2. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    why does this disgust you so much?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    It's obvious that something was pushing this and other deals. I don't know what, may be nothing much worrying about. Though I do doubt it. On the other hand, the basic deal now is Congress has 45 days, to wait for the 'agencies' to complete research, then approve.

Something is wrong with the parameters.

May be innocuous, but it stinks. They've lost me, for now.

4. manu1959

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    you mean the port deal or the new deal with india?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Neither. None of it matters now.

6. manu1959

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    yikes.....

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    :blowup: Not necessarily aimed at India, Pakistan would do. It's just where this is all going. I think I liked the fuked up dictators better.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060303...elRyUD9xg8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

8. lily

lily Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your boldened paragraphs don't bother me as much as my one boldened word does Katherine. Am I reading this article wrong, and other articles I have read? Isn't this "selling" our nuclear secrets?

9. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    deal makes perfect sense. India is not an aggressive country, is the world's largest democracy, and should have the most positive possible relationship with the U.S. The one thing that bothers me about Indian policy is Kashmir.

Kashmir is a gorgeous place. Think Colorado, doubled. The mountains are twice as high (literally), the streams babble correspondingly faster, the trees and wildflowers are amazing, and the whole lush thing sits up in the Himalaya like a Shangri-la, just a few valleys away from lunar landscape of the Tibetan plateau.

Kashmir has a huge place in the Indian imagination, and for decades was the preferred honeymoon destination and movie scenery for the Indian audience.

I've ridden on horseback there through fields of wild irises, surrounded by towering icy mountain peaks. Unforgettable.

But--Kashmir is predominantly Muslim, like neighboring Pakistan. I personally think India should therefore give up its Kashmiri ambitions and respect the will of the people there to either be autonomous or to join with Pakistan (if the people are smart, they'll vote to be part of a democracy).

So, I wish that Bush would now pressure India on this question. Despite India's generaly pacifism, this one conflict could start a nuclear war, and simply isn't worth it.

As for all this internationalism giving you a bad stomach, Kathianne, welcome to the global future. America has had its century. The next one might be India's, and the one after that Africa's (given that most human genetic diversity, and hence the best humans at every possible skill, are there).

Mariner (who is Hindu, whose family was evicted forcibly from Pakistan by the Muslims, and who loves Kashmir dearly--but loves fairness more)

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    who the hell is Katherine? I'm not that enamored with you or myself. What was sold?