Wondering if this type of Laptop still exist in 2019?

BUILD a laptop???

Dude, you're not drunk, you're tripping on heavy acid...
Why not? I build my son's gaming PCs every year.
I've always built my computers, both hardware and software. It costs more than buying already built machines and it takes a lot of time. It's worth it only if you want total control of your computer; that is you install only the hardware and software you want. Manufactured computers today, have so much crap on them that you will never use that just slow the machine down and adds clutter.
We build for speed. I pay for a really fast internet connection and I don't want the the box to be the chokepoint.
Unfortunately the longest delays, you can't do anything about because they occur on the Net, either waiting for a DNS server to resolve a name or waiting on the destination website. There use to be long delays due to rerouting packets and they would time out. I don't think that happens much anymore.
Those aren't really in play once he's in game.
Gaming is far different that most other computer applications which put little demand on the cpu or gpu. The performance problems I see in non-gaming computers is the number of background tasks. They can devour the resources of the computer and most users are totally unaware.

Do you build for speed, or power? It sounds more like you're looking for power, i.e. processing power.

Speed and power are one and the same. An I9 has up to 24 threads (12 cores) as does the AMD Threadripper. This allows the CPU to blaze through tasks. However threads often mean little in games, A 6 core I5 (9th Gen) is often just as effective in games. For mixed reality or media, the threads make the whole thing rock. 32 GB of DDR4 (2100 or better) and an RTX 2080 and you'll dominate.

Laptop that

1. Has compatibility with Chrome Browser

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I noticed that Chromebooks don't have DVD drives on their computers. I also prefer to use the Chrome Browser over Microsoft Edge
Then download the browser and build yer own damn laptop...

BUILD a laptop???

Dude, you're not drunk, you're tripping on heavy acid...

I mentioned a Pi build several pages back. But it's not exactly an Alienware, now is it...

Do you build for speed, or power? It sounds more like you're looking for power, i.e. processing power.

Speed and power are one and the same. An I9 has up to 24 threads (12 cores) as does the AMD Threadripper. This allows the CPU to blaze through tasks. However threads often mean little in games, A 6 core I5 (9th Gen) is often just as effective in games. For mixed reality or media, the threads make the whole thing rock. 32 GB of DDR4 (2100 or better) and an RTX 2080 and you'll dominate.
Unless the system or application programs actually use a hardware feature, it's worthless.

Speed and power are one and the same.

That's debatable. But most importantly, if you'd paid attention in the first place you would have picked up the fact that I was drawing a distinction between internet speed and processor capacity.

Internet speed is important for downloading and streaming.

Not much else.

Unless the system or application programs actually use a hardware feature, it's worthless.

Which was my point about massive numbers of threads.

Because of dependency, i.e. an operation depends on the results of an earlier operation, games don't use a whole lot of threads. Up until a couple of years ago, most were single threaded.

Internet speed is also overrated. That Modern Warfare match is sending proximity information to the server, The real work is done by the CPU/GPU

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I noticed that Chromebooks don't have DVD drives on their computers. I also prefer to use the Chrome Browser over Microsoft Edge

I think thumb drives with flash memory has become the mass storage memory of choice. It's smaller and no moving parts so it's cheaper and has a lot of capacity. I've got my entire iTunes library on one and it it still has lots of room to spare. My music library has lots of CDs that I've digitized for convince.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

After years of insisting that my computer have a floppy drive and then graduating to a DVD, today I find no use for this type of auxiliary storage. With the huge capacity of USB storage and online storage, what use is a DVD?
Some people want to play their old DVDs. Personally I would rather do that on a 60" TV than a laptop.

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

I think thumb drives with flash memory has become the mass storage memory of choice. It's smaller and no moving parts so it's cheaper and has a lot of capacity. I've got my entire iTunes library on one and it it still has lots of room to spare. My music library has lots of CDs that I've digitized for convince.

Yeah, but I bet you don't have all the Looney Toons..

Like 58GB worth. I have a real library, with books, even :)

iTunes. :21:

Laptop that

2. Has a DVD/CD drive

Can’t afford a Mac? Loser.

Forum List

Back