Wondering About African-American Culture

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
As we are told we should have open discussions about race, I decided to ask a question about which I've casually wondered for a bit. With all this talk about faux-racism, this popped into my mind again. It's just a curiosity on my part, not much more. I'm not African-American, so I don't know.

I have been told that a significant amount of African-American culture comes from the slavery experience. Bad experiences, to be sure, but certainly ones that make for stronger individuals - the hardest steel comes from the hottest fires - true survivors. It's common that folks say those who have not had this experience cannot fully understand African-American culture, and those who say that are likely correct.

On the other hand, African-American means one who has (usually black) African ancestry.

Obama is an American and has African ancestry, so of course, he is labeled African-American.

But, how can Obama really understand a significant part of African-American culture (as I've been led to believe) without the American slavery experience?

This is not a thread to put anyone on the defensive. I would like to gain a bit more understanding, that's all. I hope that this can be an open an honest discussion so that all can further understand. This is what we should do, IMO, if we want less divisiveness.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back