Wonder How The Bush Bashers Will Spin This

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
CORONADO, California (AP) -- President Bush will cut short his vacation to return to Washington on Wednesday, two days earlier than planned, to help monitor federal efforts to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina, the White House said Tuesday.

"We have got a lot of work to do," Bush said, referring to the damage wrought by the hurricane along Gulf Coast areas.

The president had been scheduled to return to the nation's capital on Friday, after spending more than four weeks operating from his ranch in Central Texas. But after receiving a briefing early Tuesday on the devastation Katrina unleashed, the president decided that he needed to be in Washington to personally oversee the federal effort, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Bush had traveled here to deliver a speech commemorating the Allies' World War II victory over Japan and promoting his war-on-terror agenda. Later Tuesday, he was flying back to Texas, but spending only one night at his ranch. Bush was expected to visit the region affected by Katrina, but details on that trip were in flux as the White House worked to make sure the president would not disrupt response efforts.

The president said that the urgent need for search-and-rescue operations put the priority on saving lives -- and made it necessary for people who evacuated the region to stay out for now.

"This morning, our hearts and prayers are with our fellow citizens along the Gulf Coast," Bush told Navy sailors and World War II veterans, the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier at his back. "We know that many are anxious to return to their homes. It's not possible at this moment."

Instead, he asked all in the affected areas to do as state and local authorities say.

"The federal, state and local governments are working together side-by-side to help people get back on their feet," he said.

The president asked individual Americans to get involved with the relief effort, suggesting anyone who wishes to help could call 1-800-HELPNOW, log on to the Red Cross Web siteexternal link or get in touch with the Salvation Army.

"The good folks in Louisiana and Mississippi and Alabama and other affected areas are going to need the help and compassion and prayers of our fellow citizens," Bush said.

Upon Bush's return Wednesday, he planned to chair a meet of a White House task force set up to coordinate the federal response and relief effort, McClellan said.

"This is one of the most devastating storms in our nation's history. I think that's becoming clear to everyone," McClellan said. "The destruction and loss of life is sobering."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/30/bush.hurricane.ap/index.html

Nothing to spin, he is doing what anyone in his position would do, I dont think he should get a cookie though for doing the obvious. Which is helping out .

Don't think he was looking for a cookie. I wouldnt put it past some critics though to say he came later then he should have or perhaps even too early as to make it a photo op.

Critics are critics for a reason. They don't like you and will find something to gripe about.

I'm surprised that Bush hasn't been blamed for the hurricane by the liberal nut jobs yet.

Okay,

Here is a list of what the Libs are saying about Bush right now.

1. If the city was all white, Bush would have rushed more people in to help by now. (Never mind the fact that there are 1,400 NG troops being sent there daily.)

2. Bush should have had an evacuation plan ready for NO. (Never mind the fact that the Governor of LA and the Mayor of NO should have those plans not the Executive of the Nation.)

3. If Bush hadn't foolishly sent our National Guard to Iraq, they would be there to help in LA.

4. The force of the Hurricane was caused by global warming because of Bush's Ecological policies.

5. That if Bush wasn't on vacation, resources would have been more quickly provided.

There are more, but that is basically what they are saying.

no1tovote4 said:
Okay,

1. If the city was all white, Bush would have rushed more people in to help by now. (Never mind the fact that there are 1,400 NG troops being sent there daily.)

2. Bush should have had an evacuation plan ready for NO. (Never mind the fact that the Governor of LA and the Mayor of NO should have those plans not the Executive of the Nation.)

3. If Bush hadn't foolishly sent our National Guard to Iraq, they would be there to help in LA.

4. The force of the Hurricane was caused by global warming because of Bush's Ecological policies.

5. That if Bush wasn't on vacation, resources would have been more quickly provided.

Ya know, the sad thing is, these people really believe this stuff.

Mr. P said:
Ya know, the sad thing is, these people really believe this stuff.

Just wait---the conspiracy folks havent had a chance to pull it all together---there was an emergency drill there ( last year i believe) for nearly this exact situation. I can see em weaving it in as we speak. Unless Bush gets his ass out there and adamantly DENY these lies, we are screwed !!! :ssex:

no1tovote4 said:
Okay,

You missed Kyoto, that is the reason:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/01/news/warm.php
International Herald Tribune

Bush takes heat on global warming
By Elisabeth Rosenthal International Herald Tribune
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2005

As politicians and commentators around the world took in pictures of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, many seized the opportunity to blame the fierce storm, at least in part, on the Bush administration's environmental policy.

The United States is one of the few nations that have not signed the Kyoto Protocol, which seeks to limit global warming by reducing the levels of industrial emissions that most scientists now believe promote climate change.

"Katrina Should Be a Lesson to the U.S. on Global Warming," read a headline on the Web site of the German magazine Der Spiegel.

"The Bush government rejects international climate protection goals by insisting that imposing them would negatively impact the American economy," wrote Jürgen Tritten, Germany's environment minister and a Green Party member.

"The American president is closing his eyes to the economic and human costs his land and the world economy are suffering under natural catastrophes like Katrina," Tritten charged.

In fact, while it is impossible to link Katrina specifically to warming, scientists said, most now concur that global warming does tend to increase the intensity of hurricanes, if not their frequency.

"There is new research that shows there may well be an increase in the destructive power of hurricanes because of global warming," said Wayne Elliott, a meteorologist with the British weather service

But the experts add that it is scientifically unfair to blame any one hurricane on the warming trend.

"We would expect hurricanes on average should be getting more intense because of global warming, but it's hard to make the connection in any one event, like Katrina," said Jay Gulledge, senior research fellow at the Pew Institute for Climate Change.

The United States has experienced Category 5 hurricanes like Katrina before the warming of the last decades, he pointed out. Also, hurricanes tend to wax and wane in 30-year cycles and that trend is now on the upswing.

But the connection between global warming and Katrina was made prominently in many media outlets in European countries, all of which have signed the Kyoto accord and in which Bush administration environmental policies are widely unpopular.

In Italy, the Lega Ambiente, a powerful national environment lobby, called Katrina "a dramatic event on par with Sept. 11," referring to the terrorist attacks of 2001, and demanded change from the U.S. government.

"It is time that President Bush undertakes a radical review of the proper position on climate change and the consequences of the energy policy of the United States," said Roberto Della Seta, the group's national president.

An editorial in the left-wing newspaper l'Unita, titled "Bush Between Kyoto and Katrina," mockingly labeled Katrina a "natural" disaster. "The Bush administration will continue to deny the existence of global warming or that it is caused in the first place by the reducible fuel consumption of the 'American Way of Life,"' the paper said.

The strength of a hurricane is connected to sea surface temperature, which is slowly rising with global temperatures. In the last century, global temperatures have risen more than .7 degrees centigrade and sea temperatures about .6 degrees and the pace of change is accelerating, according to the European Environment Agency.

In fact, scientists had predicted a rough hurricane season because sea surface temperatures were so hot at the beginning of the summer, Elliott said. Hurricanes need a sea surface temperature of at least 27 degree centigrade, or 80 degrees Fahrenheit, to start. The surface temperature in the Gulf of Mexico, where Hurricane Katrina gained much of its force, was 31 degrees.

Global warming has also led to a sea level rise, which exacerbates flooding like that in New Orleans, he added.

In parts of the world where U.S. environmental policy is regarded as morally irresponsible, the possibility of a connection was the talk of the day.

President Hugo Chávez of Venezuela, a frequent critic of the Bush administration, wagged a finger: Noting that the United States had not signed the Kyoto treaty, he said that global warming was behind the ferocity of recent hurricanes, according to The Associated Press in Caracas, and blamed "capitalist consumerism" that he said was championed by Americans.

IHT Copyright © 2005 The International Herald Tribune | www.iht.com

Wow, old Dubya cut his month-long vacation two days short and you want him to get some reward? That's what he's supposed to do. There will always be critics, though I notice the only source you come up with is some German magazine.

acludem

no1tovote4 said:
:funnyface
I didn't miss it, I just didn't expound on his ecological policies. They are blaming the force of the Hurricane on Bush's ecological policies, one of which is to not sign the Kyoto Treaty.

Just for being rational had to rep. :laugh: They are so 'scientific' they choose to ignor all the metorology phd's that are on record saying this is cyclical and in the great scheme of things, hurricane ferocity world-wide is down, just not in this part of the Atlantic.

dilloduck said:
Just wait---the conspiracy folks havent had a chance to pull it all together---there was an emergency drill there ( last year i believe) for nearly this exact situation. I can see em weaving it in as we speak. Unless Bush gets his ass out there and adamantly DENY these lies, we are screwed !!! :ssex:

And the low frequency tests where the Navy is shooting Ultra-Low Frequency radio waves into the Statosphere in an effort to control the weather....

:tinfoil:

Bush bashers have never really had an arguement. Seriously, look at our President. In his (roughly) 6 years as President of the U.S. some of the most major occurrences have happened to this country and he's stuck with it. Yeah, he's made a couple slips here and a couple mishaps there but anyone would be messing up if they were under that much stress. I mean come on, they're directing war on an almost invisible enemy, half the country doesn't like him and are protesting, his foreign allies aren't quite living up to the "ally" term, 4 Hurricanes ripped through the south last year, he's tried to help with the Tsunami in India and now this latest hurricane has caused the worsed damage in caused by a hurricane in U.S. history.

Now I know it's his job to do these things but I have to put my hands together at how good he is at doing it. It really made me smile knowing he's not going to just stay in Texas and work from there but he's coming back to stand up and help his nation in a time of crisis, which he has done everytime the problem has arose.

Bush is alright with me.

KarlMarx said:
I'm surprised that Bush hasn't been blamed for the hurricane by the liberal nut jobs yet.

tonight I was watching 'CNN Anderson Cooper et al'...well GW is at fault as usual...it almost caused me to lose my appetite for bbq..they went on and on about it is all the US Governments fault...race card and all....sorry I for one do not feel sorry for those living in this 'Den Of Vipers' called New Orleans...it is a far greater Sin City than Vegas...and they are corrupt and lazy! It was mother nature who punished them not GW or any other mortal....end of story!
:cuckoo:

archangel said:
tonight I was watching 'CNN Anderson Cooper et al'...well GW is at fault as usual...it almost caused me to lose my appetite for bbq..they went on and on about it is all the US Governments fault...race card and all....sorry I for one do not feel sorry for those living in this 'Den Of Vipers' called New Orleans...it is a far greater Sin City than Vegas...and they are corrupt and lazy! It was mother nature who punished them not GW or any other mortal....end of story!
:cuckoo:

Is that what anderson was saying? No wonder my girlfriend was spouting this crap about how the government wasnt acting fast enough to help and such. Im like where the hell did this come from? They've been sending NG troops in daily. They've been send search and rescue teams around the clock to help people out. They sent, what is it, 4 naval vessels to the Gulf to deliver food and water. They seem pretty mobilized. Then i realized she loves to watch Anderson Cooper. So thats where she got all that crap from.

acludem said:
Wow, old Dubya cut his month-long vacation two days short and you want him to get some reward? That's what he's supposed to do. There will always be critics, though I notice the only source you come up with is some German magazine.

acludem

You're damn sure a Democrat. You keep adding words that aren't there to things, and completely ignore others that are there.

Who said they thought President Bush should get a reward? What German magazine did no1tovote for get his list of things from?

no1tovote4 said:
Okay,

yep, i've heard all of those.

acludem said:

acludem

I'm surprised , considering all the hot air that the Left has generated since the 2000 elections, that the entire state of Louisiana wasn't blown off the face of the map.

You'd think if the Left really cared about those people down in New Orleans, they'd shut their constantly moving mouths and steer clear of criticizing Bush and the relief efforts down in New Orleans.

You'd think they would realize that attention should be focused on getting relief out to the people affected and not on political sniping.

You'd think they wouldn't take this opportunity to make political hay....

You'd think, if it was proven that lives would be saved if criticism of Bush was delayed until after this crisis had passed that the Left would have the decency to just simply shut up.

But no, the Left won't let up for a single second, they have to win, they have to get the media attention every single second, they have to spew their rhetoric of vitriol and hate. They don't care about right and wrong, just winning at any price. And if that means a few more people dying, so what, ideas count not people, right?

Considering all the Left has done since 9/11 and what they will be doing and saying in response to this crisis, I believe that I am within my rights to claim that if the present group of commie loving, tree hugging, hate-everything-America crowd were around on December 8, 1941, they would have been trying to undermine the Allied effort to win the war against the Germans and the Japanese.

I'm embarrassed to have to admit that these people are my fellow Americans. But to be honest, I believe that they're embarrassed to BE Americans.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
KarlMarx said:
I'm surprised , considering all the hot air that the Left has generated since the 2000 elections, that the entire state of Louisiana wasn't blown off the face of the map.

You'd think if the Left really cared about those people down in New Orleans, they'd shut their constantly moving mouths and steer clear of criticizing Bush and the relief efforts down in New Orleans.

You'd think they would realize that attention should be focused on getting relief out to the people affected and not on political sniping.

You'd think they wouldn't take this opportunity to make political hay....

You'd think, if it was proven that lives would be saved if criticism of Bush was delayed until after this crisis had passed that the Left would have the decency to just simply shut up.

But no, the Left won't let up for a single second, they have to win, they have to get the media attention every single second, they have to spew their rhetoric of vitriol and hate. They don't care about right and wrong, just winning at any price. And if that means a few more people dying, so what, ideas count not people, right?

Considering all the Left has done since 9/11 and what they will be doing and saying in response to this crisis, I believe that I am within my rights to claim that if the present group of commie loving, tree hugging, hate-everything-America crowd were around on December 8, 1941, they would have been trying to undermine the Allied effort to win the war against the Germans and the Japanese.

I'm embarrassed to have to admit that these people are my fellow Americans. But to be honest, I believe that they're embarrassed to BE Americans.
i wont go so far as to say that the "left" as a whole, doesnt care about the victims, but a few do seem to want to take pot shots at bush for a "perceived" slowness of reacting to the situation...alot of "armchair" quarterbacking going on.

Forum List

Back