Won Amur Bay marathon swim.

Eugene

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2014
Vladivostok & Kiev
On the 30th of June I took part in Marathon Swim in Vladivostok - Amur Bay Swim.
The weather was awful - fog and headwind...had to swim against waves all the distance.
I was a winner in 'without fins' category.
Swam distance of 18km (11,2 miles) in 5 hours 9 minutes.

Announcement of the event
Marathon swim "Amur Bay - 2018" will be held in Vladivostok
Amur Bay Swim 2018 Long Distance 12 km (1 km for beginners)

Short video about how it was

Yesterday it was a wonderful day for you and today it's a wonderful day for all the Russians! Congrats!

Russia 4-3 Spain (pens) - Heroic hosts snatch improbable shootout victory to stun Spain in Moscow

Cannot insert my photo...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z9bqJf6cTDuULD3a7
Z9bqJf6cTDuULD3a7

Congrats that is remarkable! I was wondering what you do about dehydration. Are there stations where you can get water along the way?
As you can see in video, there were boats along the distance - 25-30 boats of swimming commitee, life guards and volunteers. All of them offered water, bananas and special sweet fast feeding.

No stations but floating flags each 300 meters.
But visibility was too low because of waves and fog so sometimes I swam wrong direction... staff on boats helped by pointing where to swim.
Only 30% of swimmers finished this time. It was pretty hard challenge.

Congrats that is remarkable! I was wondering what you do about dehydration. Are there stations where you can get water along the way?
As you can see in video, there were boats along the distance - 25-30 boats of swimming commitee, life guards and volunteers. All of them offered water, bananas and special sweet fast feeding.

But visibility was too low because of waves and fog so sometimes I swam wrong direction... staff on boats helped by pointing where to swim.
How long does it take you to recover from an event like that? What is the longest training swim you did leading up to Amur Bay? I'm curious how marathon swimming compares to marathon running. I will do a maximum training run of 18-19 miles about 3 weeks prior to the marathon and it takes me 3 or 4 days before I start running again after the marathon.

How long does it take you to recover from an event like that? What is the longest training swim you did leading up to Amur Bay? I'm curious how marathon swimming compares to marathon running. I will do a maximum training run of 18-19 miles about 3 weeks prior to the marathon and it takes me 3 or 4 days before I start running again after the marathon.
I usually train 5 days a week in the pool or sometimes one of those training is in open water. Simply swim at average almost relaxing speed.
One training is about an hour and a half... And I also have 2 training of running + cycling a week.
Twice a month I swim an hour non-stop the distance is 4 km.

The next day after "Amur Bay" swim I took part in aquathlon competition: 1100m swim + 5000m run so no need long time for recover.

Last edited:

I usually train 5 days a week in the pool or sometimes one of those training is in open water. Simply swim at average almost relaxing speed.
One training is about an hour and a half... And I also have 2 training of running + cycling a week.

The next day after "Amur Bay" swim I took part in aquathlon competition: 1100m swim + 5000m run so no need long time for recover.
Have you thought about turning pro in triathlon?

I am too old for pro...
Used to swim in childhood, spent 25 years in an armchair and returned to pool a year ago. Decided to run and bike sometimes...
Frankly speaking I didn't expect to win "Amur Bay" swim...it was a great surprise due to hard weather conditions.
But I will try myself in triathlon this summer. My friends sportsmen ask me to. ...I train 3 of them in swimming they explain how to run and bike correctly.

In August will take part in one more epic event - swimrun "Vikings":
33km of trail running and 7km of swimming
Orgeo: SwimRun "VIKINGS" - Info - Events
It is just for fun not a competition.

I am too old for pro...
Used to swim in childhood, spent 25 years in an armchair and returned to pool a year ago. Decided to run and bike sometimes...
Frankly speaking I didn't expect to win "Amur Bay" swim...it was a great surprise due to hard weather conditions.
But I will try myself in triathlon this summer. My friends sportsmen ask me to. ...I train 3 of them in swimming they explain how to run and bike correctly.

Are you going to do a half triathlon first or are you just going for a full?

I am too old for pro...

Plans for this summer&autumn: half triathlon and full x-triathlon.

I took part in half triathlon this saturday.

And that was new experience for me...very unusual and very hard.
I was 3rd in swimming, but my bike and run abilities are low so I was only 13th at the finish (there were 37 participants on MTB bikes). But I was 2nd among those who were 40+ (older than 40 years old).

It was very hot yesterday - +32 degree Celsium, though it was fog in the morning and that was the main problem.

That's excellent for your first half tri. How did the run go? For me running in the heat is the worst.
Right you are!
Running was the hardest..
And I ran very very slow.
For example in aquathlon 3 weeks ago after 1100m swim I ran 5km with the average tempo 4 min.30 sec. per 1km but in triathlon my tempo was only 5 min.45 sec. It is as slow as I never ran and I don't know if it was because of heat or because of bike before running...

That's excellent for your first half tri. How did the run go? For me running in the heat is the worst.
Right you are!
Running was the hardest..
And I ran very very slow.
For example in aquathlon 3 weeks ago after 1100m swim I ran 5km with the average tempo 4 min.30 sec. per 1km but in triathlon my tempo was only 5 min.45 sec. It is as slow as I never ran and I don't know if it was because of heat or because of bike before running...
From what I understand (from reading not doing!) the bike to run transition is always difficult for new tri athletes. But like anything training for will "re-program" your body to handle the transition. I tried it once and I couldn't believe how heavy my legs felt running after biking! Really weird.

Forum List

Back