Women's True Role In Islam!

S

Scholar

I insist that recognized scholars and authorized books should be the only source for whoever wants to discover Islam.

This is especially at a time when our religion is being the target of continuous attempts of distortion, mainly by weird interpretations of its texts. I think that by now, authorized sources are many and they are at hand for everyone to find, especially through the Internet.

Of course, religion did not say that women are inferior to men. Allah says in the Holy Qur’an in Surah 9, verses 71 – 72:
*{And [as for] the believing men and the believing women, they are guardians of each other; they enjoin good and forbid evil and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, and obey Allah and His messenger; [as for] these, Allah will show mercy to them; surely Allah is Mighty, Wise.
Allah has promised to the believing men and the believing women gardens, beneath which rivers flow, to abide in them, and goodly dwellings in gardens of perpetual abode; and best of all is Allah's goodly pleasure; that is the grand achievement.}*

Also, there are many other verses, which establish equity between men and women. This is either in their rights and responsibilities in society or in God's stand towards them, in this life and in the Hereafter.

Prophet Muhammad also said:

"Women are the counterparts of men."

The true meaning of the hadith (saying) of the prophet of Islam, which your friend – unknowingly - misinterpreted, yet simply gave the wrong interpretation by the enemies of Islam, is as follows:

Women, in certain times of their lives, are asked to observe less religious duties than men for the recurrent biological set of symptoms that occur to them; like times of labor and menstrual bleedings. Out of God’s mercy, He exempted women from observing some religious duties like fasting and praying. These are performed in Islam through movements of the body that may not fit their health - during these times.

Yet, this exemption does not suggest that women have become, because of it, less religious, spiritually or mentally more deficient than men. Let us give the issue some logic please. Is it possible that the prophet's uncle – for example - who died a pagan polytheist and who gave Islam its hardest time, since the call started, by torturing early Muslims, is to be regarded as more intelligent and religious than numerous pious Muslim women? An example is Lady Khadija, the prophet's wife who endured severe agony and pain, for the sake of God and the new religion.

Would that be fair, just because he is a man and she is a woman? Can anyone claim, by any means, that God would regard Virgin Mary a second class human being if compared to king Herodus?! Also, can anyone argue that those women who "willingly" choose to meet martyrdom in Palestine, for the sake of liberty and dignity, suffer a lack in religion?

Dear Lydia, this question of intelligence and piety is much deeper than being a shallow matter of gender and sexuality.

As for the case of testimony, it is true that in some legal cases, the woman’s testimony differs than that of man. This is especially when the penalty might reach the extent of taking the life of the defendant; "capital punishment". Here, it becomes necessary to take all procedures to guarantee the flawlessness of the mood and state of mind of all the witnesses.

It is a scientific fact, that at some stages of their lives, women suffer from psychological stress – due to biological mechanisms - which makes them lack ability to concentrate. This can by no means indicate lack of mind or intelligence! This takes place namely during menstrual and post labor periods, along with the hormonal disturbances of menopause.

These are scientific facts that are as clear as daylight and no woman can deny… Neither can any woman deny it, in favor of any kind of ideology nor philosophy! I am a woman and I admit it frankly that I suffer from psychological restlessness, bad mood, in addition to tendency to forget easily, during these times.

Yet, I have never considered it a discredit to my personality or a deficiency that I should be hiding! It is true that I avoid making important decisions during these times. Yet, I'm not ashamed of these symptoms, simply because they are signs of my femininity and maternity, such aspects that I am extremely proud of…

In Islam, dear Lydia, women are entrusted to participate in all fields of life, including decision-making positions. On the other hand, when it comes to judicial matters and fatal decisions are taken concerning the lives of people and their properties, all possible probabilities and expectations regarding the witnesses should be taken into consideration. This includes even their mood and state of mind.

You need to know, Lydia, that justice in Islam is a priority. Also, preserving human souls and rights is an ultimate value. These are prior to any other consideration, like simply pleasing women by denying their health conditions, which sometimes make them open to forgetfulness. This is why God decreed that in major cases two women are needed to give testimony instead of one.

This is clearly stated, in Surah 2, verse 282, where God establishes the rule for recording debts:
*{O you who believe! When you deal with each other in contracting a debt for a fixed time, then write it down; and let a scribe write it down between you with fairness; and the scribe should not refuse to write as Allah has taught him, so he should write; and let him who owes the debt dictate, and he should be careful of [his duty to] Allah, his Lord, and not diminish anything from it; but if he who owes the debt is unsound in understanding, or weak, or [if] he is not able to dictate himself, let his guardian dictate with fairness; and call in to witness from among your men two witnesses; but if there are not two men, then one man and two women from among those whom you choose to be witnesses, so that if one of the two errs, the second of the two may remind the other; and the witnesses should not refuse when they are summoned; and be not averse to writing it [whether it is] small or large, with the time of its falling due; this is more equitable in the sight of Allah and assures greater accuracy in testimony, and the nearest [way] that you may not entertain doubts [afterwards], except when it is ready merchandise which you give and take among yourselves from hand to hand, then there is no blame on you in not writing it down; and have witnesses when you barter with one another, and let no harm be done to the scribe or to the witness; and if you do [it] then surely it will be a transgression in you, and be careful of [your duty] to Allah, Allah teaches you, and Allah knows all things.}*

In fact, such judicial precautions concerning witnesses are not confined to women alone, but to some men as well. A man witness should also meet many requirements. Otherwise, his testimony is not accepted.

There are major studies on this matter of testimony, available in books of Islamic shari`a (law), which you can simply look up for further information. Yet, those who want to pick holes in the Islamic view towards women, never refer to these requirements, regarding men witnesses. They only focus on women!

They simply neglect the other legal cases, in which the testimony if men are not taken, but only women are to give it before courts. Such as cases of proving children's paternity or maternity if it is a disputed matter. A simple reason for this example is that it is not common for men to stay in a room, where there is a woman who has just given birth and witness what happens with the baby.

I hope the foregoing clarifies the matter. Thank you.

Scholar, don't worry, lots of people misinterpret Christianity, too - especially Christians. Ask someone on the street who said "the Lord helps those who help themselves" and I'll bet more people will choose God / Jesus than Ben Franklin.

What would be funny would be if more Muslims started accurately quoting the Bible to point out some of the flaws in societies that consider themselves Christian.

Originally posted by SLClemens
What would be funny would be if more Muslims started accurately quoting the Bible to point out some of the flaws in societies that consider themselves Christian.

I could care less if the Bible was one big flaw, how many of those reading it are actively involved in daily suicide bombings? How many kill daily in the name of God? Thought so.

Originally posted by jimnyc
How many kill daily in the name of God? Thought so.

Bush and Ashcroft, to name two. Cheney and Powell are also Christians, but I don't think it's as much a reason why they support killing - they're smart enough to find better reasons, economic ones.

How many American soldiers, I wonder, think they are doing God's work? I'm sure most are just trying to protect their buddies from getting blown to bits, but I'm also sure there are a few who think they are doing Christ's work, or are 'called' by God to do what they're doing.

Originally posted by SLClemens
Bush and Ashcroft, to name two. Cheney and Powell are also Christians, but I don't think it's as much a reason why they support killing - they're smart enough to find better reasons, economic ones.

How many American soldiers, I wonder, think they are doing God's work? I'm sure most are just trying to protect their buddies from getting blown to bits, but I'm also sure there are a few who think they are doing Christ's work, or are 'called' by God to do what they're doing.

Show me ANY proof that Bush or Ashcroft has made a single decision based on God.

Show me ANY proof of soldiers killing as "Christ's work".

Boy, the TRUTH is printed in articles about the Muslims who are terrorist, and this is the best you can come back with, unfounded claims?

Show me ANY proof that Bush or Ashcroft has made a single decision based on God.

Show me ANY proof of soldiers killing as "Christ's work".

Boy, the TRUTH is printed in articles about the Muslims who are terrorist, and this is the best you can come back with, unfounded claims?

Ashcroft believes the death penelty is God-ordained. I suspect that so does Bush. More interesting is comments comming back from Bush's meetings with Palestinians - note some of the things in http://www.counterpunch.org/stanton10252003.html .

And yes, the so-called Muslims who are bombing civilians are very evil, wicked people. No one here is denying that. It would just be nice if the Bush administration always took that into account when dealing with the Saudi royal family and the Bin Ladens (one of whom George I was meeting with on 9/11 ... I know, you'll demand proof of this, so please do yourself a big favor and watch this: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5103.htm ).

A real trustworthy source. Allow me to post their own words:

We've got all the right enemies."

CounterPunch is the bi-weekly muckraking newsletter edited by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair. Twice a month we bring our readers the stories that the corporate press never prints. We aren't side-line journalists here at CounterPunch. Ours is muckraking with a radical attitude and nothing makes us happier than when CounterPunch readers write in to say how useful they've found our newsletter in their battles against the war machine, big business and the rapers of nature.

No bias here !

Ashcroft believes the death penelty is God-ordained. I suspect that so does Bush. More interesting is comments comming back from Bush's meetings with Palestinians - note some of the things in http://www.counterpunch.org/stanton10252003.html .

And what does this have to do with decisions being made? I don't see any proof of daily decisions being decided based on God, not one.

Why did you not reply to the part about our solidiers killing as "Christ's work"?

And yes, the so-called Muslims who are bombing civilians are very evil, wicked people. No one here is denying that. It would just be nice if the Bush administration always took that into account when dealing with the Saudi royal family and the Bin Ladens (one of whom George I was meeting with on 9/11 ... I know, you'll demand proof of this, so please do yourself a big favor and watch this: http://www.informationclearinghouse...article5103.htm ).

Not sure how this is related to what we were discussing. Wasn't the topic about Muslim women, which you changed to Christianity?

And what does this have to do with decisions being made? I don't see any proof of daily decisions being decided based on God, not one.

Why did you not reply to the part about our solidiers killing as "Christ's work"?

Not sure how this is related to what we were discussing. Wasn't the topic about Muslim women, which you changed to Christianity?

You asked "How many kill daily in the name of God?". Christians or Muslims? Both have done quite a bit of it.

RE: American soldiers doing Chirst's work - I'm sure the majority of them don't think of that directly this way. But some do. For millions of Southern Baptists, Pentecostals, and other fundamentalists everything they do is God's work, and everyone is called by God into their work. This need not necessarily be a bad thing. Just today my church honored its veterans for the ways in which God has used them, even the ones who fought in places and ways I disagree with. Thankfully I'm 100% appreciative of most US veterans' actions, though contrasting the legacy of those who fought in WWII to what's happening today was a sickening thought. At any rate, fighting based upon Christian principals is not necessarily a bad thing, though sadly throughout history it usually has been.

You asked "How many kill daily in the name of God?". Christians or Muslims? Both have done quite a bit of it.

And I've yet to see any proof of the Christian killings. We see suicide bombings almost daily.

People receive the death penalty because that is what sentence our courts imposed on them. Some may have their religious beliefs, but the accused are not killed in the name of God.

RE: American soldiers doing Chirst's work - I'm sure the majority of them don't think of that directly this way. But some do. For millions of Southern Baptists, Pentecostals, and other fundamentalists everything they do is God's work, and everyone is called by God into their work. This need not necessarily be a bad thing. Just today my church honored its veterans for the ways in which God has used them, even the ones who fought in places and ways I disagree with. Thankfully I'm 100% appreciative of most US veterans' actions, though contrasting the legacy of those who fought in WWII to what's happening today was a sickening thought. At any rate, fighting based upon Christian principals is not necessarily a bad thing, though sadly throughout history it usually has been.

Even if a handful did think they were doing "Christ's work", you don't see them attacking unprovoked, nor with suicide bombs. They are now in the process of defending Iraq and themselves, and reacting appropriately when attacked. They are taking orders from their superior officers, not Allah.

And I've yet to see any proof of the Christian killings. We see suicide bombings almost daily.

People receive the death penalty because that is what sentence our courts imposed on them. Some may have their religious beliefs, but the accused are not killed in the name of God.

Even if a handful did think they were doing "Christ's work", you don't see them attacking unprovoked, nor with suicide bombs. They are now in the process of defending Iraq and themselves, and reacting appropriately when attacked. They are taking orders from their superior officers, not Allah.

If the suicide bombers had cruise missiles and F-16s with 500-lbs bombs do you think they'd still be committing suicide attacks? As it is the vast majority of insurgent attacks are not suicide attacks, and in many of their minds I'm sure their actions are provoked.

If the suicide bombers had cruise missiles and F-16s with 500-lbs bombs do you think they'd still be committing suicide attacks?

Lack of technology doesn't excuse killing in the name of Allah.

As it is the vast majority of insurgent attacks are not suicide attacks, and in many of their minds I'm sure their actions are provoked.

That's probably true.

I just disagree with the attacks, I don't see them as being justified. The US is there to rid the country of an oppressive regime, terrorists, and to restore calm. By attacking the US for doing so is supporting the regime and terrorism.

Lack of technology doesn't excuse killing in the name of Allah.

That's probably true.

I just disagree with the attacks, I don't see them as being justified. The US is there to rid the country of an oppressive regime, terrorists, and to restore calm. By attacking the US for doing so is supporting the regime and terrorism.

Oh, and speaking of killing for Christ, you have, I take it, heard of General Boykin?

Please, enlighten us.

Are you telling me you've never heard of him? Please tell me you cannot know so much about military actions in Iraq and not know!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s972108.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/22/i...tml?ex=1068526800&en=5121cb559ff29923&ei=5070

http://www.thebatt.com/news/550625.html

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/16/1065917549085.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44845-2003Oct30.html

To give but a very brief sampling.

Now just what do you think ordinary Iraqis would make of him?

Are you telling me you've never heard of him? Please tell me you cannot know so much about military actions in Iraq and not know!

Nope, I know who he is, I just wanted to see what you were getting at.

So, he made disparaging remarks about Muslims. Where is he killing daily in the name of God?

Nope, I know who he is, I just wanted to see what you were getting at.

So, he made disparaging remarks about Muslims. Where is he killing daily in the name of God?

He's not any more, thank God. But he has and he's encouraging others do to the same.

How do you think he affects how Muslims see us. His comments have been read by millions in the Arab press, and my guess is he scares the Jesus out of them - literally! Thankfully Bush had the good sense not to endorse his remarks.

He's not any more, thank God. But he has and he's encouraging others do to the same.

He was making negative comments about Muslims, not killing in the name of God.

Muslims are not perfect, and neither are Christians. I'm just making a point that the killing in the name of Allah is a LOT more prevalent.

Why the hell are we arguing about the scriptures be it Muslim, Jews or Christian? We all know what the scriptures teach. The one thing above all they teach is "Love thy neihgbour as you love yourself." The people who pt together the scriptures had far more insight into the future than todays interpreters do. The religions and their respective scriptures do not in any way say to kill inocents. It is we who try to find certain passages conviniently to support our evil claims.

The one thing mention is that though Christianity has interpreted the Bible in a certain devious way in the past in Europe, it has since evolved into a moderate religion. But Islam has not allowed to change itself for centuries. Reading this statement some Muslims who are fortunate to be living in decent and democartic societies will come back lashing at me. But if you take a trip to Saudi Arabia and live there for a year and see the Muslims from a non-Muslims perspective you will understand what I am talking about. I have spent almost 8 years in Saudi Arabia. And I have come across all the hate they generate against the non Muslims.

Well thats all I wanted to say for now.

Forum List

Back