Women, you want a silk wedding dress?

Sep 12, 2008
dfab9a64-4032-4dd2-a04c-1715363a32d5.jpg

cool story behind this one...too bad it is nylon.

This wedding dress was made from a nylon parachute that saved Maj. Claude Hensinger during World War II.

In August 1944, Hensinger, a B-29 pilot, and his crew were returning from a bombing raid over Yowata, Japan, when their engine caught fire. The crew was forced to bail out. Suffering from only minor injuries, Hensinger used the parachute as a pillow and blanket as he waited to be rescued. He kept the parachute that had saved his life. He later proposed to his girlfriend Ruth in 1947, offering her the material for a gown.

Ruth wanted to create a dress similar to one in the movie Gone with the Wind. She hired a local seamstress, Hilda Buck, to make the bodice and veil. Ruth made the skirt herself; she pulled up the strings on the parachute so that the dress would be shorter in the front and have a train in the back. The couple married July 19, 1947. The dress was also worn by the their daughter and by their son’s bride before being gifted to the Smithsonian.

This item is one of 137 million artifacts, works of art and specimens in the Smithsonian’s collection. It is not on display.

Holy shit!
What a great story and a beautiful gown...wonder why it isn't on display tho??
I couldn't tell it was made by a parachute, it looks so lovely, and just think of the memories it holds :)

How about a sexy black leather dress? something a little different?

I would certainly be one to think about such an option!
I am against wearing all black to a funeral, for Christ's sake, people are always telling us the one who has died "wouldn't want you to be unhappy or depressed, they would want you to be happy"...then by golly, people should wear brighter colors.
I know it's a respect thing, but wedding dresses these days are coming out in reds even!

Actually, in the orient, white is the color of mourning, and red is what is appropriate for a wedding.

If you want the bride to look pretty and ready for post ceremony fun, a red dress is better.

How about a sexy black leather dress? something a little different?

I would certainly be one to think about such an option!
I am against wearing all black to a funeral, for Christ's sake, people are always telling us the one who has died "wouldn't want you to be unhappy or depressed, they would want you to be happy"...then by golly, people should wear brighter colors.
I know it's a respect thing, but wedding dresses these days are coming out in reds even!

I don't want to get married ever again but if I were ever to entertain it, I would want my soon to be wife to wear something different like that, something different and sexy.

Actually, in the orient, white is the color of mourning, and red is what is appropriate for a wedding.

If you want the bride to look pretty and ready for post ceremony fun, a red dress is better.

I did not know this Baruch...but everyone has to agree, red is a festive color!! So I can see why it would be ideal for a wedding :)

@ Dark Gravity, I see what you're saying and I do agree!

Forum List

Back