Women with hyphenated last names...

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Vicky Johnson-Furgussen
Michelle Anderson-Maharajapuram

Whatever...When I read a woman's name, and see both names, I get a little bothered. Imediately I see a woman I'd not like to be friends with; an arrogant, hard-nosed woman. A woman with no sense of humility or sense of committment to their husband.

I'm aware my impressions will not always be accurate, but the feelings are there nonetheless. In fact, I became quite enamoured with one such lady here at work; beautiful, intelligent, kind, warm...all the attributes I doubted she'd have when I first read her name on the sign by her office.

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned in this regard?

dmp said:
Vicky Johnson-Furgussen

Whatever...When I read a woman's name, and see both names, I get a little bothered. Imediately I see a woman I'd not like to be friends with; an arrogant, hard-nosed woman. A woman with no sense of humility or sense of committment to their husband.

I'm aware my impressions will not always be accurate, but the feelings are there nonetheless. In fact, I became quite enamoured with one such lady here at work; beautiful, intelligent, kind, warm...all the attributes I doubted she'd have when I first read her name on the sign by her office.

what happens whe two of these get married....have kids that get married....brown-davis-smith-jones-sherman-fry-neft-kerr

i sure am glad that ther are only 7 letters in my entire name first and last

Don't judge too harshly. In some hispanic communities it is common to use hyphenates. They designate the father of a person as well as their married name. When a woman is born they may have a name like Diego-Garcia, this name would denote her father was named Garcia, her mother's father was Diego. When she marries she would drop the Diego and take on the husbands name and thus become something like Garcia-Aguillera. This is expected. Her children would all be Garcia-Aguillera while the father might have a name like Arturo-Aguillera (of course denoting his mother's father was named Arturo, his father was Aguillera.)

I don't like this hyphen crap either, but people have a variety of different reasons for doing it, and basically it's nobodies business.

My step mom's name is hyphenated. You conservative chaps are going to have to embrace the women's lib at some point.:D These ladies got a taste and decided they like being equal.

Hagbard Celine said:
My step mom's name is hyphenated. You conservative chaps are going to have to embrace the women's lib at some point.:D These ladies got a taste and decided they like being equal.

How can it be considered equal if they use their husbands name, hyphenated or not? The husband isn't using their name.

Hagbard Celine said:
Someone's last name has nothing to do with equal rights for women.

Nuc said:
How can it be considered equal if they use their husbands name, hyphenated or not? The husband isn't using their name.
Some men hyphenate their names when they get married too. It symbolizes the union of two equal people.

Hagbard Celine said:
Yeah, but hyphenation would have never happened before the advent of the modern, liberated woman.

If A happened after B, then A must be a result of B?

Hagbard Celine said:
Yeah, but hyphenation would have never happened before the advent of the modern, liberated woman.

Actually hyphenation often happened before that. If a woman was an actress, etc. They would often hyphenate their names when they married so that people would be able to know who they were. The modern woman who believes that taking a family name is bad wouldn't hyphenate, they would simply keep their name. The hyphenate people are attempting to form a compromise and therefore are compromising their "modern libertaed" values.

Hagbard Celine said:

hyphenation occurred many centuries ago in old Europe and other countries...it just took hold in the USA in the last few decades or so!

dmp said:
Vicky Johnson-Furgussen

I kinda feel the same way...silly? Dunno..maybe.

unless it is cultural or business reasons, not taking your husband's name kind of sounds like you aren't fully committed to the marriage. You are still an individual, but you also have to remember your partnership with your spouse.

Liberal women are so hell bent on being an individual, thinking somehow you have no identity if you have a different last name than you were born with (utter BS), you forget that you are in a mutual partnership that requires compromise and sacrifice. I believe changing your name to your husband's shows you are committed to the marriage itself, showing you are sacrificing something to make the commitment.

true life example:
My in-laws are a whole group of liberal commies, with a few conservatives mixed in. Us few conservatives have 2 things in common: 1.we took our husband's name fully-no hyphens, and are proud to be called Mrs. Leonard.

2.we have never been divorced, and have been married longer than 3 years.
The liberal relatives that did not take their spouse's name fully (hyphened or not at all), have been divorced, all three women's marriages lasted less than 2 years. Tim's cousin Josh was the first of the group of 1st cousins in the family to get married, is liberal and is also now divorced. His marriage lasted 18 months. His ex didn't take his name at all.

fuzzykitten99 said:
unless it is cultural or business reasons, not taking your husband's name kind of sounds like you aren't fully committed to the marriage. You are still an individual, but you also have to remember your partnership with your spouse.

Liberal women are so hell bent on being an individual, thinking somehow you have no identity if you have a different last name than you were born with (utter BS), you forget that you are in a mutual partnership that requires compromise and sacrifice. I believe changing your name to your husband's shows you are committed to the marriage itself, showing you are sacrificing something to make the commitment.

true life example:
My in-laws are a whole group of liberal commies, with a few conservatives mixed in. Us few conservatives have 2 things in common: 1.we took our husband's name fully-no hyphens, and are proud to be called Mrs. Leonard.

2.we have never been divorced, and have been married longer than 3 years.
The liberal relatives that did not take their spouse's name fully (hyphened or not at all), have been divorced, all three women's marriages lasted less than 2 years. Tim's cousin Josh was the first of the group of 1st cousins in the family to get married, is liberal and is also now divorced. His marriage lasted 18 months. His ex didn't take his name at all.

Wouldn't the man taking her name as a hyphenation show his committment to her as well? And is it really any committment to take a name one way or the other? Seems like a shallow way to base your comittment. (I'm not calling you shallow, just the idea that taking someone's name has anything to do with loyalty.)

Hagbard Celine said:
NEVER!

i could care less one way or the other about hyphenated names. wouldnt accept it in Jess and my marriage though. you take my name you take it all the way.

Johnney said:
NEVER!

i could care less one way or the other about hyphenated names. wouldnt accept it in Jess and my marriage though. you take my name you take it all the way.
damn straight! Tim said he would have been a bit hurt if I didn't want to fully take his name.

To me, its just a name, letters put together to form a word so that you don't get mixed up with others of the first name you have.

dmp said:
Vicky Johnson-Furgussen

Hmmm... Three little words come to mind: Hillary Rodham-Clinton.

If a girl wants to include her family name as it is on her birth certificate...or a guy for that matter...what is the big deal anyway..can we get past the ego trip and control factor here...if a gal I meet and maybe decide to marry... ya think I would be upset if she loved her family name and wanted to keep it..no way Jose...would at least realize she was a happy camper in her past life.....geez!..Those who oppose this seem to have many hidden issues...IMO

Forum List

Back