Women who get abortions are more likely to commit suicide.

Pick your poison, baby killers

Numerous peer-reviewed medical studies have found an association between abortion and suicide. Many others have found an association between induced abortion and depression, which is a major risk factor for suicide. In fact, between 10 percent and 30 percent of women suffer serious, prolonged negative psychological consequences after abortion.

A 1995 study by A.C. Gilchrist in the British Journal of Psychiatry found that in women with no history of psychiatric illness, the rate of deliberate self-harm was 70 percent higher after abortion than after childbirth.

A 1996 study in Finland by pro-choice researcher Mika Gissler in the British Medical Journal found that the suicide rate was nearly six times greater among women who aborted than among women who gave birth.

A 2002 record-linkage study of California Medicaid patients in the Southern Medical Journal, which controlled for prior mental illness, found that suicide risk was 154 percent higher among women who aborted than among those who delivered.

By 2003, the data was so compelling that a team of researchers published in the Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey (OGS), one of the top three obstetrical journals in the United States, identified a number of studies that found that “induced abortion increased … [the incidence] of mood disorders substantial enough to provoke attempts at self-harm” and concluded that, as a matter of medical ethics, “any woman contemplating an induced abortion should be cautioned about the mental health correlates of an increased risk of suicide or self-harm attempts as well as depression.”

A 2005 study by Mika Gissler in the European Journal of Public Health found that abortion was associated with a six-times-higher risk for suicide compared to birth.

A 2006 study by New Zealand researcher David M. Fergusson in the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, which controlled for a prior history of depression and anxiety and suicidal ideation (wanting to take one’s own life or thinking about suicide), found that 27 percent to 50 percent of women after abortion reported suicidal ideation. Mr. Fergusson found that the risk of suicide was three times greater for women who aborted than for women who delivered.

A 2010 study by Natalie P. Mota in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry found that “abortion was associated with an increased likelihood of several mental disorders - mood disorders … substance abuse disorders … as well as suicidal ideation and suicide attempts.”

Finally, last September, a meta-analysis in the British Journal of Psychiatry found an 81 percent increased risk of mental trauma after abortion.

FORSYTHE and SMITH Disclosing the abortion-suicide association - Washington Times
No amount of evidence will convince these fools. They've made up their minds, and damn the facts.

I gave you the math. So go ahead and roll over with your belly up.

These are studies, which means an invested entity gave a group MONEY in order to do a study in order to get, most likely, the outcome they wished to see, since they are PAYING for it. Get it, yet?
Three independent studies in two different countries provided similar results. There are also many other studies that show abortion as a direct cause of emotional problems. Quit denying the obvious. It only makes you look stupid.

If women with hazel eyes were committing suicide at 6-7 times the rate of other colored eyed women, then I'd look for potential causation/correlation.
And you would be an idiot.

Again, men commit suicide at a much greater rate then women, and men don't get abortions, so there must be other causes of suicide than abortions!

I posted a link from Science Daily but these chicken pluckers are too scared to read it.

I can't find the exact study with that figure but I found this from Elliot.

How convenient. Just can't find the study. But them other guys are full of shit. Yea right. LMAO.
How convenient. You're trolling her. SIL has something you don't have: integrity. She doesn't need bitches like you coming in and trying to call her out over nonsense.

Bottom line. The study used data from actual suicides, and found that women who had abortions represented a disproportional number of deaths. This is what they call had data.

Pick your poison, baby killers

Numerous peer-reviewed medical studies have found an association between abortion and suicide. Many others have found an association between induced abortion and depression, which is a major risk factor for suicide. In fact, between 10 percent and 30 percent of women suffer serious, prolonged negative psychological consequences after abortion.

A 1995 study by A.C. Gilchrist in the British Journal of Psychiatry found that in women with no history of psychiatric illness, the rate of deliberate self-harm was 70 percent higher after abortion than after childbirth.

A 1996 study in Finland by pro-choice researcher Mika Gissler in the British Medical Journal found that the suicide rate was nearly six times greater among women who aborted than among women who gave birth.

A 2002 record-linkage study of California Medicaid patients in the Southern Medical Journal, which controlled for prior mental illness, found that suicide risk was 154 percent higher among women who aborted than among those who delivered.

By 2003, the data was so compelling that a team of researchers published in the Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey (OGS), one of the top three obstetrical journals in the United States, identified a number of studies that found that “induced abortion increased … [the incidence] of mood disorders substantial enough to provoke attempts at self-harm” and concluded that, as a matter of medical ethics, “any woman contemplating an induced abortion should be cautioned about the mental health correlates of an increased risk of suicide or self-harm attempts as well as depression.”

A 2005 study by Mika Gissler in the European Journal of Public Health found that abortion was associated with a six-times-higher risk for suicide compared to birth.

A 2006 study by New Zealand researcher David M. Fergusson in the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, which controlled for a prior history of depression and anxiety and suicidal ideation (wanting to take one’s own life or thinking about suicide), found that 27 percent to 50 percent of women after abortion reported suicidal ideation. Mr. Fergusson found that the risk of suicide was three times greater for women who aborted than for women who delivered.

A 2010 study by Natalie P. Mota in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry found that “abortion was associated with an increased likelihood of several mental disorders - mood disorders … substance abuse disorders … as well as suicidal ideation and suicide attempts.”

Finally, last September, a meta-analysis in the British Journal of Psychiatry found an 81 percent increased risk of mental trauma after abortion.

FORSYTHE and SMITH Disclosing the abortion-suicide association - Washington Times
No amount of evidence will convince these fools. They've made up their minds, and damn the facts.

I gave you the math. So go ahead and roll over with your belly up.

These are studies, which means an invested entity gave a group MONEY in order to do a study in order to get, most likely, the outcome they wished to see, since they are PAYING for it. Get it, yet?
Three independent studies in two different countries provided similar results. There are also many other studies that show abortion as a direct cause of emotional problems. Quit denying the obvious. It only makes you look stupid.

Who funded the studies? Post their names and organizations to this thread. Studies in this country are conducted all the time, submitted to the FDA if its a new drug, then the drug goes on the market and not long after the law suits start to fly from people dying.

Mr. Right, get a new screen name. You refuse to acknowledge the hard data.

Just for perspective, there were 41,000 suicides in America in 2011. More than 32,000 were men, more than 8,000 for women.
Relevance....none.

The fact is that women who have abortions are more likely to commit suicide. Stick to the subject matter, kid..
Actually relevance....total!

It proves what you call a "fact" is actually a "FALLACY." Clearly the 32,000 men who committed suicide did NOT have abortions, so suicide has other factors as its cause.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened to simply post hoc fallacy.

No. What I called a fact is a fact, dumb ass. Is it not fact that women who had abortions committed suicide at a higher rate? If don't understand simple matters, you shouldn't be throwing around relatively advanced concepts like post hoc erco propter hoc....that goes for you and dumb asses like Pogo.
Actually Gatsby, in this study in Finland, this is true....merely looking at the study's numbers... but I can't say the study was truly meaningful.

Were these mostly SINGLE women having the abortions vs. mostly married women, having their babies?

A better study would have been women who aborted compared to single women who had their babies out of wedlock.

And married women who aborted with husband's consent and without husband's consent, compared to married women who chose to have their child.

And 1 year following is too short of a study.

ALSO, where is Finland, regarding abortion? Is it liberal or conservative in their laws? That could factor in to the study's results as well....

I would presume that a 'harder' lifestyle of a good portion of those having abortions could be a factor in the suicide rates as well....

And the security of being married with child, verses the insecurity of being unmarried with child.... I would presume being unmarried with child would have a higher suicide rate than married with child, but....I could be wrong???

I guess my bottom line is, this study, although it may be accurate as far as ''numbers'', it doesn't tell us much.

I'm not disputing that a single unwedded vs. single wedded comparison wouldn't be useful. But the women who did abort vs. women who did not abort is valid jumping off point. I have no doubt that women who abort are more likely to not be married. Why should it surprise anyone that unresponsiblie people who unresponsibly kill are not responsibly married?

But all the same, you have a lot of valid points of how it could be more adequately studied; and I'm not treading upon your opinion. I'm more speaking to the idiots who are SHAMELESSLY trying to claim that the study is invalid b/c it doesn't mesh with their politics.

Bulllshit; you're trolling based on whose name is above the point, even though it's the same point because you're still butthurt about the "French Court" fiasco.

Case in point:

It proves what you call a "fact" is actually a "FALLACY." Clearly the 32,000 men who committed suicide did NOT have abortions, so suicide has other factors as its cause.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened to simply post hoc fallacy.

No. What I called a fact is a fact, dumb ass. Is it not fact that women who had abortions committed suicide at a higher rate?
And that is as meaningless as if women with hazel eyes committed suicide at a higher rate.

If women with hazel eyes were committing suicide at 6-7 times the rate of other colored eyed women, then I'd look for potential causation/correlation. Of course, that's not the case because no causation/correlation exists on that front. As it is, women who had abortions did commit suicides at 6-7 times the rate of the others. That is not "meaningless."

-- when it's a bullshit causation about eye color, "no correlation exists". When the same bullshit causation is cherrypicked out of many it suddenly becomes "not meaningless".

Having it both ways: Priceless.

:eusa_hand:

Last edited:
If women with hazel eyes were committing suicide at 6-7 times the rate of other colored eyed women, then I'd look for potential causation/correlation.
And you would be an idiot.

Again, men commit suicide at a much greater rate then women, and men don't get abortions, so there must be other causes of suicide than abortions!

Who is arguing that there aren't other causes, moron. Stop moving the goalposts.

Relevance....none.

The fact is that women who have abortions are more likely to commit suicide. Stick to the subject matter, kid..
Actually relevance....total!

No. What I called a fact is a fact, dumb ass. Is it not fact that women who had abortions committed suicide at a higher rate? If don't understand simple matters, you shouldn't be throwing around relatively advanced concepts like post hoc erco propter hoc....that goes for you and dumb asses like Pogo.
Actually Gatsby, in this study in Finland, this is true....merely looking at the study's numbers... but I can't say the study was truly meaningful.

Were these mostly SINGLE women having the abortions vs. mostly married women, having their babies?

A better study would have been women who aborted compared to single women who had their babies out of wedlock.

And married women who aborted with husband's consent and without husband's consent, compared to married women who chose to have their child.

And 1 year following is too short of a study.

ALSO, where is Finland, regarding abortion? Is it liberal or conservative in their laws? That could factor in to the study's results as well....

I would presume that a 'harder' lifestyle of a good portion of those having abortions could be a factor in the suicide rates as well....

And the security of being married with child, verses the insecurity of being unmarried with child.... I would presume being unmarried with child would have a higher suicide rate than married with child, but....I could be wrong???

I guess my bottom line is, this study, although it may be accurate as far as ''numbers'', it doesn't tell us much.

I'm not disputing that a single unwedded vs. single wedded comparison wouldn't be useful. But the women who did abort vs. women who did not abort is valid jumping off point. I have no doubt that women who abort are more likely to not be married. Why should it surprise anyone that unresponsiblie people who unresponsibly kill are not responsibly married?

But all the same, you have a lot of valid points of how it could be more adequately studied; and I'm not treading upon your opinion. I'm more speaking to the idiots who are SHAMELESSLY trying to claim that the study is invalid b/c it doesn't mesh with their politics.

Bulllshit; you're trolling based on whose name is above the point, even though it's the same point because you're still butthurt about the "French Court" fiasco.

Case in point:

No. What I called a fact is a fact, dumb ass. Is it not fact that women who had abortions committed suicide at a higher rate?
And that is as meaningless as if women with hazel eyes committed suicide at a higher rate.

If women with hazel eyes were committing suicide at 6-7 times the rate of other colored eyed women, then I'd look for potential causation/correlation. Of course, that's not the case because no causation/correlation exists on that front. As it is, women who had abortions did commit suicides at 6-7 times the rate of the others. That is not "meaningless."

-- when it's a bullshit causation about eye color, "no correlation exists". When the same bullshit causation is cherrypicked out of many it suddenly becomes "not meaningless".

Having it both ways: Priceless.

:eusa_hand:

You're babbling; and you're clearly "butthurt."

BTW, causation and correlation are not the same thing; nor are they mutually exclusive. You're sitting there yammering on about if there's no causation, then ther'es no correlation; and I'm thinking, freaking idiot! Yet, you're gloating about "priceless" and "butthurt" while making a damned fool of yourself as usual.

Last edited:
Who is arguing that there aren't other causes, moron.
The idiots arguing that abortion causes suicide. More men commit suicide than women and men do not get abortions, so suicide is caused by something common to both men and women, but affects men more than women, which eliminates abortion.

..... "Two studies from Finland(1) show that women who had abortions were 6 to 7 times more likely to commit suicide than women who gave birth. These studies were based on medical records rather than interviews. "

People in Finland commit suicide because they don't have sunlight 4 months out of the year. And also, of course the studies had to be based on medical records, the interviewees were dead, right? Laughing my ass off......
And yet women who had abortions were 6-7 times more likely to commit suicide. Explain that.
Or maybe women more likely to commit suicide tend to have more abortions. Either way the point is it is none of your business.

Yeah, that's what the anti-choice zealots have been saying for years.

Those who you so cavalierly dismiss as anti-choice, actually CHOSE to carry their baby to term.

And later in life, they CHOSE to send their kids to a proper school, where kids can actually learn, not a public school infected by unionized self-serving yahoos masquerading as teachers.

Or they are just hors that can't be happy unless their legs are spread wide. Liberal philosophy on a woman's choice. Killing you're baby for convenience. Teaching young girls abstinence isn't the right thing to do, is another liberal policy. Another reason liberalism needs to go.

You sir, are a fucking moron.
Hey, it was Obama that stated in front of the world. That he wanted his own daughters to have the choice of abortion. So they wouldn't be burdened with a child. Nice father, and I bet if he has grandchildren. They will praise his words. No sir, you're the moron.

Obama's daughters will never have to worry about abortion due to an out-of-wedlock pregnancy.

Who would ever have the desire to have sex with such gargoyles?

The idiots arguing that abortion causes suicide. More men commit suicide than women and men do not get abortions, so suicide is caused by something common to both men and women, but affects men more than women, which eliminates abortion.

Nobody is arguing that there aren't other causes for suicide was the right answer. Stop being a blatant failure as a poster.

Nobody is arguing that there aren't other causes for suicide was the right answer. Stop being a blatant failure as a poster.

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back