Women, The Vote, and the GOP

Well if the founding fathers were that great they would have let women vote from the get go.

No remark could identify one as ignorant of history at that one.

Nor, as a better, more clear-cut example of what Shelby Steele was getting at here:

"At home the values that made us exceptional have been smeared with derision. Individual initiative and individual responsibility—the very engines of our exceptionalism—now carry a stigma of hypocrisy. For centuries America made sure that no amount of initiative would lift minorities and women. So in liberal quarters today—where historical shames are made to define the present—..."
Shelby Steele: Obama and the Burden of Exceptionalism - WSJ.com

So in liberal quarters today—where historical shames are made to define the present—..."

n liberal quarters today—where historical shames are made to define the present—..."

Just like you and the writer, trying to shame liberals by using an example of the historical shames by "progressives, liberals, democrats" of the past, to define the present.
Works both ways. Really not that hard to see the irony and hypocrisy of the writer.
Instead of presenting and idea or statemnt that is neutral, you always try to post historical shames, a tired inception of bad debating, but let us not forget about that vindictive nature.

To be frank, Drop-Draws.....I always look forward to your participation, as nothing could draw a more clear distinction between the perspectives of Left and Right.

"Instead of presenting and idea or statemnt that is neutral, you always try...."

Yup!

True.

And that's why I rep you from time to time. (never neg)

Aside from political perspective, you show a lack of understanding of our missions, here.
You and I are on different sides, we are supposed to have different perspectives.

Nor is it my function to be "neutral." And not just because Lefties such as yourself give their side....but because the dinosaur media gives ONLY your side.

I believe that in the marketplace of ideas, conservative always defeats liberal. So...you give only yours....I give only mine.

And, in threads such as history....I get to fill in lacunae that liberal media and liberal public schooling leaves out.

Get it now?

"...but let us not forget about that vindictive nature."

OK...maybe a little.

Well if the founding fathers were that great they would have let women vote from the get go.

You just gave me an idea for another OP....how about I tell you the real story of the Democrat Party?

...the party of Slavery, Segregation, Sedition, and Secularism?

Just say the word, Dropsy.

1. "On Aug. 26, 1920 — 92 years ago today — women's right to vote became law after Tennessee's pivotal ratification of the 19th Amendment. Although it is not well known, Aug. 26 of each year since 1971 has been proclaimed a day of commemoration by U.S. presidents to celebrate the anniversary of women winning the right to vote and to serve as a "symbol of the continued fight for equal rights."
Patricia Pierce: Women must exercise their right to vote to gain true equality » Knoxville News Sentinel

2. It was a Republican who introduced what became the 19th Amendment, women’s suffrage. On May 21, 1919, U.S. Representative James R. Mann (1856-1922), a Republican from Illinois and chairman of the Suffrage Committee, proposed the House resolution to approve the Susan Anthony Amendment granting women the right to vote. The measure passed the House 304-89—a full 42 votes above the required two-thirds majority. 19th Amendment — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

3. The 1919 vote in the House of Representatives was possible because Republicans had retaken control of the House. Attempts to get it passed through Democrat-controlled Congresses had failed.

4. The Senate vote was approved only after a Democrat filibuster; and 82% of the Republican Senators voted for it….and 54% of the Democrats.

5. 26 of the 36 states that ratified the 19th Amendment had Republican legislatures.

6. Two weeks later, on June 4, 1919, the Senate passed the 19th Amendment by two votes over its two-thirds required majority, 56-25. The amendment was then sent to the states for ratification. Within six days of the ratification cycle, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin each ratified the amendment. Kansas, New York and Ohio followed on June 16, 1919. By March of the following year, a total of 35 states had approved the amendment, one state shy of the two-thirds required for ratification. Southern states were adamantly opposed to the amendment, however, and seven of them—Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, South Carolina and Virginia—had already rejected it before Tennessee's vote on August 18, 1920. It was up to Tennessee to tip the scale for woman suffrage. Op. Cit.

7. The outlook appeared bleak, given the outcomes in other Southern states and given the position of Tennessee's state legislators in their 48-48 tie. The state's decision came down to 23-year-old Representative Harry T. Burn (1895-1977), a Republican from McMinn County, to cast the deciding vote. Although Burn opposed the amendment, his mother convinced him to approve it. (Mrs. Burn reportedly wrote to her son: "Don't forget to be a good boy and help Mrs. Catt put the 'rat' in ratification.") With Burn's vote, the 19th Amendment was ratified. Certification by U.S. Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby (1869-1950) followed on August 26, 1920. Op. Cit.

8. The National Women's Party led by Alice Paul became the first "cause" to picket outside the White House. Paul and Lucy Burns led a series of protests against the Wilson Administration in Washington. Wilson ignored the protests for six months, but on June 20, 1917, as a Russian delegation drove up to the White House, suffragettes unfurled a banner which stated; "We women of America tell you that America is not a democracy. Twenty million women are denied the right to vote. President Wilson is the chief opponent of their national enfranchisement".[24] Another banner on August 14, 1917, referred to "Kaiser Wilson" and compared the plight of the German people with that of American women. With this manner of protest, the women were subject to arrests and many were jailed.[25] On October 17, Alice Paul was sentenced to seven months and on October 30 began a hunger strike, but after a few days prison authorities began to force feed her.[24] After years of opposition, Wilson changed his position in 1918 to advocate women's suffrage as a war measure.[26] Women's suffrage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a. During the 1912 presidential campaign against Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson and his opponent agreed on many reform measures such as child-labor laws and pro-union legislation. They differed, however, on the subject of women's suffrage, as Roosevelt was in favor of giving women the vote.
President Woodrow Wilson picketed by women suffragists — History.com This Day in History — 8/28/1917

So....thank you, Republicans....a great big hug from all of the women who have studied the history of this great nation!

Here's hoping that the obfuscaters of the Left cannot go on hiding and rewriting our past.

We know who really has a 'war on women.'

It's strange how Republicans want to take credit for anything that party did before the middle 60's when confederate conservatives fled the Democratic Party (Dixiecrats) and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party. Very, very strange.

Bet the Democrats love folks like you who will swallow anything they tell 'em to...and regurgitate it ad infinitum.

BTW....

"The so-called “Dixiecrats” remained Democrats and did not migrate to the Republican Party. The Dixiecrats were a group of Southern Democrats who, in the 1948 national election, formed a third party, the State’s Rights Democratic Party with the slogan: “Segregation Forever!” Even so, they continued to be Democrats for all local and state elections, as well as for all future national elections."
Frequently Asked Questions | National Black Republican Association

Well, it sounds like the South has now united into one party, the southern Democrats and southern Blacks all voting Democratic. Hard to believe but....

Why does it matter which "party" did what 100 years ago? The partids are not static... The people, the positions are always in flux.

Well...not to you, but to folks paying attention, the last six months have seen an attempt by the Democrats to pretend that there is a Republican "War on Women."

You should get out more.

Of course, the attempt is part of a larger attempt to distract folks from considering what a flop Obama has been as President.

Yeah, I've seen the "war on women" threads and headlines. They are silly. However every other week there is a war on something, both sides do it, and it's annoying and disrespectful to our soliders who are currently fighting a war.

I see that reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points. How you got "Women need to know their place" from my statement is unfathomable.

I didn't get it from your statement. I see that literary techniques like sarcasm and irony are beyond your cognitive level. As I suspected...smile...

So you wanted to post literary techniques like sarcasm and irony, and for some reason you couldn't do it as a stand-alone post so you chose a post of mine where your so-called literary techniques were a total non-sequitur?

Yeah like I'm buying that bull shit.

total non-sequitur?...You really are obtuse. I just gave some solid reasons why your statement is totally FALSE. The proper question is: How any self-respecting woman would vote republican is beyond me.

Why does it matter which "party" did what 100 years ago? The partids are not static... The people, the positions are always in flux.

Well...not to you, but to folks paying attention, the last six months have seen an attempt by the Democrats to pretend that there is a Republican "War on Women."

You should get out more.

Of course, the attempt is part of a larger attempt to distract folks from considering what a flop Obama has been as President.

Yeah, I've seen the "war on women" threads and headlines. They are silly. However every other week there is a war on something, both sides do it, and it's annoying and disrespectful to our soliders who are currently fighting a war.

If only you were a student of history.....

1 Militarism is a characteristic of the Left. For some thinkers in Germany and the US, such as Teddy Roosevelt and Oliver Wendell Holmes, war was truly a source of moral values. For many progressives war represented a way to enroll the masses in a regimented collective.

a. Progressives saw WWI as an opportunity to change America and enforce collectivization. “In 1917, as Woodrow Wilson prepared to take the United States into the European war, the leading collectivist intellectuals of the day, John Dewey and Herbert Croly of The New Republic, beat the drums for American participation. …Dewey wrote that the progressive opponents of war were blind to the “immense impetus to reorganization afforded by this war.” He hoped they would work “to form ... the conditions and objects of our entrance.” In other words, they should exploit the opportunities war bestowed for collectivizing America. Croly was pithier: “The American nation needs the tonic of a serious moral adventure.” War Is the Health of the State

b.“Once the war is on, the conviction spreads that individual thought is helpless, that the only way one can count is as a cog in the great wheel. There is no good holding back. We are told to dry our unnoticed and ineffective tears and plunge into the great work.” From a Randolph Bourne essay published in June 1917, “The War and the Intellectuals.”

c.Dewey reveled in the thought that the war might force Americans to “give up much of our economic freedom…we shall have to lay by our good natured individualism and march in step.”
Taking liberties - latimes.com

d. In the essay The Moral Equivalent of War by William James, James considered one of the classic problems of politics: how to sustain political unity and civic virtue in the absence of war or a credible threat. The standard solution for the problem of sustaining political unity and civic virtue has been either war or a credible external or internal threat, anticipating the use by political leaders of imagined internal or external threats to achieve and maintain their power and the political unity that would discourage opposition to them. The essay may be origin of the idea of organized national service, to the depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps, to the Peace Corps, VISTA, and AmeriCorps.
Jon Roland: Introduction to The Moral Equivalent of War

e. The use of the idea if not the reality of war may be seen currently in liberalism’s use of ‘the war on cancer,’ ‘the war on drugs,’ the War on Poverty,’ and the exhortation to fight any problem as ‘the moral equivalent of war.’

f. Herbert Croly believed that life should be like a ‘school,’ and as such frequently demands ‘severe coercive measures.’ James Bovard, “Freedom in Chains: The Rise of the State and the Demise of the Citizen,” p.8
Like Roosevelt, Croly looked forward to wars as the vehicle of progress, and saw as the Spanish-American War’s greatest achievement that it gave birth to Progressivism.

You do have a library card, don't you?

How any self-respecting woman would vote democrat is beyond me.

The ones that do not want to follow behind their men

Do you live in the same country? I just wondered because you don't seem to know very much about America... where women have never followed behind 'their' men. Not even sure what 'their' means... do women own men? No, I didn't think so.

Forum List

Back