Women, Minorities Top Bush's Supreme Court Short List

red states rule

May 30, 2006
If a vacancy opens on the court, will Dems go by qualifications or will they want a Judge who makes law from the bench?

By JAN CRAWFORD GREENBURG
June 1, 2007
Font Size

Print The White House is developing a short list of possible Supreme Court nominees so President Bush can move swiftly if a justice retires at the end of June, when the Court breaks for its summer recess, according to sources involved in the selection process.

Still, some of Bush's political advisers believe he would be better off tapping a strong conservative who would rally the base -- especially a nominee with a compelling life story who would be difficult for moderate Senate Democrats to oppose.

In that camp are federal appeals court Judges Priscilla Owen and Janice Rogers Brown. Both were filibustered by Senate Democrats after Bush nominated them as appellate judges and were eventually confirmed after Senate leaders struck a compromise on judicial nominations.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/SupremeCourt/Story?id=3235598&page=1
Bush met with top advisers last month, and they discussed possible nominees if a Supreme Court vacancy occurs.

Brown is a no go, from what I read last time she has WAY to much baggage and practices a lot of that legislating from the bench stuff.

Both Owen and Brown are political suicide. NEVER going to happen.

I don't remember the debate on Owen but ya if the dems blocked her before they sure as hell are not going to vote for her now.

Wishful thinking anyway, No one in the non conservative camp is going to retire before the next President anyway. Truth is I prefer that the Court not be stacked for one side or the other, it will always have a strong side and a weak side, but generally ALL the Justices usually use the law and precident.

There was a time I wished the Libs would be totally replaced, BUT I now realize that is a BIG mistake. IF the current court is 5-4 Conservative that is good enough a 6-3 could be bad especially if your wishing for a partisan political appointment.

5-4 means it can easily swing back if needed.

I can't wait to tell my white son that he can sit on the Supreme Court if he wants to, and nobody will hold his race or sex against him. Ah, America.

I think he should try to nominate Harriet Miers again. If she was so fucking well qualified, why not give it another shot?

Forum List

Back