Women in the workplace because of feminism or because of economics?

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Many people give the Women's movement sole credit for the gains that women made in entering the workplace over the past 25 to 30 years. I don't agree. I believe that the main reason is because of economics.

Simply put, the cost of discriminating against women (and for that matter blacks and other minorities) became too great for employers. The demand for jobs outstripped the supply of white males. Sure, laws were created to make discrimination against women and blacks in the workplace illegal, but I don't believe that was what created those jobs.

To think that millions of jobs now occupied by women appeared simply because of the feminists is delusional.

KarlMarx said:
Many people give the Women's movement sole credit for the gains that women made in entering the workplace over the past 25 to 30 years. I don't agree. I believe that the main reason is because of economics.

Simply put, the cost of discriminating against women (and for that matter blacks and other minorities) became too great for employers. The demand for jobs outstripped the supply of white males. Sure, laws were created to make discrimination against women and blacks in the workplace illegal, but I don't believe that was what created those jobs.

To think that millions of jobs now occupied by women appeared simply because of the feminists is delusional.

It wasn't that new jobs were made for women so much as it was that women were paid the same, given the same benifits, and had the same chances at promotion.

True. It is unlawful to discriminate against women when it comes to promotions, hiring etc. etc.

But that doesn't mean that women are now CEOs, doctors, etc. simply because of anti-discrimination laws. There had to be a demand for them.

Here's an example, there aren't many professional women's sports teams. Why? Because there isn't a demand for them. That isn't discrimination, that's economics.

Forum List

Back