Women in technical jobs

nt250

Jun 2, 2006
Are there any other women here in a technical field?

I don't do PC software. I do telephone software. Routing and translations.

I've been doing it for 20 years now and I'll just never get used to the male/female thing.

I have to be twice as good to get half the amount of respect as a man gets. Still. Even after all these years. It's very....tiresome.

I've been doing it for 20 years now and I'll just never get used to the male/female thing.

I have to be twice as good to get half the amount of respect as a man gets. Still. Even after all these years. It's very....tiresome.
It could be a matter of being an "out" instead of an "in". I'm a man and feel that I get less respect than I deserve, too. Many times, I feel my accomplishments at work are unrecognized and unappreciated. I notice that others, who are with the "in" clique seem to get more recognition for seemingly minor deeds. I was promoted recently, but only after many years of waiting. In fact many women were promoted ahead of me. I think it's more a matter of who's in good with the boss...

Have you thought it's a personal thing, not a gender thing? I hope this isnt the case, but most people I find clamoring for respect, don't EARN it ;)

Have you thought it's a personal thing, not a gender thing? I hope this isnt the case, but most people I find clamoring for respect, don't EARN it ;)

I actually have found most of the men I've dealt with through work have treated me just fine. When I deal with much older attorneys, I often get "dear", "honey", etc... from the old dudes, it doesn't bother me too much cause it's a generational thing.

I have found a bit of the old boy thing, though. I used to work in an office where I was the only female attorney, and it was more that the "boys" would bond over lunch or a ballgame... etc, while the secretaries would all chat all day... so it was more of a being on the outside kind of thing, although, individually, I got along with all of them.

I once worked on a project where everyone in charge was female. My manager, the project manager, my lead, the customer point of contact, the customer's project manager, the Air Force customer were all female.

I found that they acted no differently than men and actually moreso. The same office politics, finger pointing, dishonesty, it was one of the worst projects I ever worked on. Eventually, thank goodness, the project was cancelled.

Anyone who believes the chestnut that the world would be a better place if women were in charge is fooling themselves. Power corrupts, regardless of gender

There are some women where I work, but they're all much older. There's definately not many hot young women, in fact there are none. But I guess thats the way it is in computer technology type job. :wtf:
But I have to agree with KarlMarx, the women certainly do get into the office politics. And they quite often claim they are being discriminated against when someone else gets promoted. This one girl I work with just has it in her mind that any internal promotion is hers, and she blows up whenever she doesn't get it. Of course she doesn't do a lick of work and is late every day, and quite often doesn't even come in because of her baby. I guess I need to be careful, I was just told I'm getting promoted :eek2:

It could be a matter of being an "out" instead of an "in". I'm a man and feel that I get less respect than I deserve, too. Many times, I feel my accomplishments at work are unrecognized and unappreciated. I notice that others, who are with the "in" clique seem to get more recognition for seemingly minor deeds. I was promoted recently, but only after many years of waiting. In fact many women were promoted ahead of me. I think it's more a matter of who's in good with the boss...

Every damn job I've ever had has been that way, so I've quit them and moved on. As you can probably tell from my posts, I am very vocal and opinionated, and it tends to piss some types off. My longest job was six years, and the "glass ceiling" was because of just that.

Every damn job I've ever had has been that way, so I've quit them and moved on. As you can probably tell from my posts, I am very vocal and opinionated, and it tends to piss some types off. My longest job was six years, and the "glass ceiling" was because of just that.

Are you sure it was the "glass ceiling" and not that many may have concidered you a Bitch instead? You know can't work an play with others, doesn't share, stuff llike that.:talk2:

Are you sure it was the "glass ceiling" and not that many may have concidered you a Bitch instead? You know can't work an play with others, doesn't share, stuff llike that.:talk2:

If someone like you considers sweet little me to be a bitch, well then I consider that to be a good thing.:halo:

Forum List

Back