Women Giving up Seats on American Airliners for Religious Accomodation?

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
Interesting story today about a woman who was bumped from her seat, because 2 Pakistani monks did not not want to be seated next to a woman. This is the type of "religious accommodation" that is dangerous when it conflicts with American values about equality. Not serious if handled quietly and VOLUNTARILY. Plenty of room on a airliner to make these adjustments. But to bump a Million Mile flyer because a couple of guys are no fun and don't want to adhere to OUR culture --- is a bit disturbing.

Before anyone jumps to conclusion about it being a Pakistani thing, READ THE 2nd link.. It's not..

Calif. woman: Airline changed my seat to honor Pakistani monks' religious beliefs

COTO DE CAZA, Calif. -- A Southern California woman said she is the victim of discrimination, CBS Los Angeles reports. Mary Campos said her pre-booked ticket was given away by United Airlines. The reason? She’s a woman, and two men didn’t want to sit next to a female.

A million-mile flier, Campos, a mom who lives in Coto de Caza, said she thought she’d seen it all - until a gate agent handed her a new boarding pass just before she got on a flight to Houston last Monday.

She was shocked.

“I thought I lived in a culture where females were equal to men,” she said.

Campos is a senior consultant in the oil and gas industry. She said she had no choice but to take her new seat assignment.

That’s when she said she wrote a letter to the CEO of United Airlines.

The letter said, in part, “What if I were handicapped or transgender? What if your entire flight crew were female? Any belief that prevents individuals from interacting with females should not travel on commercial aircraft.”

She got a reply that said United would look into it. She said she didn’t hear from them again. “We can’t discriminate against half the population,” Campos said, “for a belief from another nation.”

CBS Los Angeles asked Campos if she intended on suing the airline, and she said that was not her intention. But she did want two things from United:

1) Apologize to every female that was on that plane, including their employees.
2) Change their policy.

The 2nd link shows that this issue has ALSO come with Orthodox Jewish men traveling on domestic flights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/u...-over-seat-assignments-and-religion.html?_r=0

Not cool..

How would YOU handle this? The airlines need some help here. And I'm not against TRYING to accommodate preferences.
If they come in to use a modern facility such as airlines they need to keep in mind that their religious mantra was left back where ever they came from. It would be as bad as me saying I won't sit by a "rectum wrecker" as Sassy calls them and demand that someone else cannot have their reserved seat. (flying with airlines suck)

Every religion has a backup plan.

In natural disasters, or while being conquered by thine foes, or while being helped to one's feet by some nice Samaritans, there's a risk of breaking one of the religion's sillier rules.

Usually the fix involves hours of prayer and "sacrificing a lamb on the altar" (inviting the priests over for a free dinner.)

How would YOU handle this? The airlines need some help here. And I'm not against TRYING to accommodate preferences.
If they come in to use a modern facility such as airlines they need to keep in mind that their religious mantra was left back where ever they came from. It would be as bad as me saying I won't sit by a "rectum wrecker" as Sassy calls them and demand that someone else cannot have their reserved seat. (flying with airlines suck)
^ war on religious freedom

Every religion has a backup plan.

In natural disasters, or while being conquered by thine foes, or while being helped to one's feet by some nice Samaritans, there's a risk of breaking one of the religion's sillier rules.

Usually the fix involves hours of prayer and "sacrificing a lamb on the altar" (inviting the priests over for a free dinner.)

Certainly there is atonement for such a deed. As a man, it would probably not be the best cross country company that I've ever kept. And MAYBE --- the issue is, for these religious folks, that they want avoid being rude. Because they fear not being able to return pleasantries and such. OR --- they just don't want to see the inside scoop in Cosmo on "how to please a man".... :biggrin: Or smell the perfume ads...

Seriously though, why couldn't they have put the monks beside a man?

It absolutely is wrong to have moved the woman. She was not in their space, they were in the world's space. Just my opinion.

Religious freedom demeaning females in a publicly traded business is okay with you?

The more I think about it, the more I do not understand, and can't believe the airline did that.

Religious freedom demeaning females in a publicly traded business is okay with you?
Hell no. "Religious freedom" should never be a permissible excuse for treating people like shit.

The more I think about it, the more I do not understand, and can't believe the airline did that.

Lots of times I've voluntarily changed seats to accommodate people. Even to a crappier seat. I think the problem is DEMANDING the seat change rather than asking for it.

Exactly. They should have given her the choice. You voluntarily gave up your seat. Whole different ball of wax there.

No self respecting western woman would want to sit next to one of these smelly, woman hating/goat loving monsters anyway

^^^^^^^ True but not the point.

Where's Hillary on this? Doesn't she "fight for women's rights"? Maybe not so much when you take millions from Islamic countries that abuse women.

Forum List

Back