Women Gets $6.60 After Legal Fees

hahaha. Trial lawyers, cough john "i supposedly care about the poor" edwards.
My, how trial lawyers look after their clients

Suit ‘winner’ nets pocket change
Lawyers’ fees, expenses reimbursements leave her feeling cheated
By Michael Beebe NEWS STAFF REPORTER
Updated: 06/24/07 7:16 AM

When Justine Thompson was forced to retire from her state job after 28 years because of a nasty fall she took in an icy parking lot, she figured she had protected herself by hiring a personal injury attorney.

That was before the accounting of the $35,000 settlement arrived in the mail from Cellino & Barnes. The lawyer’s share was $10,000.

The law firm repaid itself another $3,600 in expenses.

New York took $21,000 to repay workers’ compensation. Justine Thompson’s share? A check for $6.60.

It’s not the kind of settlement that television ads for The Barnes Firm boast about, claiming $150 million for auto injury clients alone over the last few years.

“That’s not even enough to buy a Happy Meal,” says Thompson, who found nothing at all happy about the experience.

Neither do two attorneys, one from Rochester, another from Syracuse, who filed a malpractice suit on her behalf against Cellino & Barnes, its successor, The Barnes Firm, and Michael J. Cooper, the Barnes Firm lawyer who represented Thompson. “This lady is the poster girl for what’s wrong with this profession,” said S. Robert Williams, the Syracuse lawyer who filed the suit with Patrick J. Burke of Rochester.

More than just an example of a woman whose case they allege was mishandled, they say, this is a clash of philosophy on how to attract and satisfy clients in the controversial field of personal injury law.

for complete article

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/105328.html

Cellino and Barnes law Firm - Avoid this company at all cost - We hired them and the purpose of getting a lawyer is for knowledge and so they work with us to get the best deal, do what is need to be done and advise you throughout your case. We hired Bruce Cantlin and it was the biggest mistake of my life. He threw my case on the backburner, there was no communication for over 6-8 months and now we receive a letter after almost 2 years they are dropping my case. This is just a pathetic company and I would avoid at all costs

Forum List

Back