Women & Children First? Depends Upon Time...

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Interesting article, makes sense when you consider instinctive 'fight or flight' reaction. With time, adrenaline goes down and brain kicks in:

Women and children first? How long have you got? - life - 01 March 2010 - New Scientist

Women and children first? How long have you got?

20:00 01 March 2010 by Andy Coghlan
For similar stories, visit the The Human Brain Topic Guide

Still time for chivalrous behaviour (Image: 20th Century Fox/Everett/Rex Features)
If the ship is sinking, do you save yourself or risk your life to save others? The answer, it seems, depends on how long the sinking takes. If there's enough time, you can switch from adrenalin-driven self-preservation to conscience-driven self-sacrifice.

The insights come from a new comparison of survival data from the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 with the loss of 1517 lives out of 2207, and the fateful torpedoing of the Lusitania three years later, which killed 1198 passengers out of 1949...

I would stay around helping until the last minute. then survival would kick in and I'd have to go for it. Unless there was one of my own still in danger........then I would probably spend my final moments cussing them out for not being gone already.

It's really hard to actually know how you would react unless you have been in a difficult situation before. Stress has a different effect on everybody. People who have a stressful job like fire fighters, policemen, most members of the military and probably some others have been in situations like this and may have a better idea of how they would react. With most other people it might be a coin toss. You just don't know until it happens to you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-bt81UBDLI]YouTube - Van Halen - Women and Children First - Could This Be Magic[/ame]

Interesting article, makes sense when you consider instinctive 'fight or flight' reaction. With time, adrenaline goes down and brain kicks in:

Women and children first? How long have you got? - life - 01 March 2010 - New Scientist

Women and children first? How long have you got?

20:00 01 March 2010 by Andy Coghlan
For similar stories, visit the The Human Brain Topic Guide

Still time for chivalrous behaviour (Image: 20th Century Fox/Everett/Rex Features)
If the ship is sinking, do you save yourself or risk your life to save others? The answer, it seems, depends on how long the sinking takes. If there's enough time, you can switch from adrenalin-driven self-preservation to conscience-driven self-sacrifice.

The insights come from a new comparison of survival data from the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 with the loss of 1517 lives out of 2207, and the fateful torpedoing of the Lusitania three years later, which killed 1198 passengers out of 1949...

Also depends on who it is. People are more likely to save their own.

For me it all depends on how good looking the women are and if the kids are cute.

I am a very superficial man.

ahh hell i would stay with da man....unless it was fire..then i am out the door before women children or sprint runners...going down on a ship....once you hit the water you will go pretty fast....i would stay with him....i wouldnt tell him that

i'd totally save all people.
then i'd save all animals.
then i'd save inanimate objects.
i'd play a Chopin waltz on the piano first, though.
then i'd eat a cathedral and jump from sumatra to java,

i'd totally save all people.
then i'd save all animals.
then i'd save inanimate objects.
i'd play a Chopin waltz on the piano first, though.
then i'd eat a cathedral and jump from sumatra to java,

The spirit of Alan Ginsberg would love that post. He would probably even masterbate to it.

Forum List

Back