Women and ‘Appropriate’ Combat Standards

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wehrwolfen, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Wehrwolfen

Wehrwolfen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +342
    Women and ‘Appropriate’ Combat Standards​

January 26, 2013

The makeover is already underway. The armed services are “now developing gender-neutral standards for all of their jobs,” reports the New York Times, replacing the less demanding physical standards for women that each branch has been using heretofore (oh, you mean you didn’t know about those lowered standards?) with a single standard for men and women. The Pentagon “has vowed” that the new gender-neutral standard will not be crafted in order to make it easier for women to join combat units. If you believe that, you probably also believe that colleges hire professors on a race- and gender-blind basis.

Here’s how you create a single gender-neutral standard: You universally apply the existing one that was developed based on a sole criterion — combat readiness. What was wrong with the standard that men had to meet? Nothing, other than the fact that an insufficient number of women can pass it.

Apart from the obvious problems of sexual attraction and rivalries while on a fast-moving mission, it is absurd to think that putting women into a group of men doesn’t radically change the dynamics of that group We obsessively celebrate “the sisterhood.” Strong women together create a special vibe and special power, we are told; thus the ongoing existence of all-female schools and clubs at a time when any remaining all-male organizations are in the crosshairs. The concept of male bonding, however, once glorified in epics and drama, is now viewed as simply exclusionary, of no value to society whatsoever.

Even before the integration order, other gender-sensitive changes are already underway.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
    Women and ?Appropriate? Combat Standards - By Heather Mac Donald - The Corner - National Review Online

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,340
    Don't worry `bout it - we'll sort it out later...
    :redface:
    Joint Chiefs Chairman: ‘We Can Figure Out Privacy’ for Young Ladies in Frontline Combat, Including in Navy SEALS and Delta Force
    January 26, 2013 - Gen. Martin Dempsey, President Obama’s chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on Thursday that the U.S. military could figure out ways to preserve the privacy of young ladies serving in frontline combat units, including special forces combat units such as the Navy Seals and the U.S. Army’s Delta Force.
    See also:

Combat roles for women will strengthen the military, leaders say
    January 25, 2013 WASHINGTON – As some soldiers and Marines question whether women can meet gender-neutral physical standards and perform alongside men in combat roles, service leaders stress that women have already proven themselves on the battlefield and say removing the combat exclusion policy will strengthen, not weaken, the military. “This is a great opportunity to make our Army better,” said Lt. Gen. Howard Bromberg, the Army’s deputy chief of staff.

3. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,493
    I was a 1SG in the Army. I can tell you that men and women are NOT created equal. Each has their strengths and their weaknesses. I will tell you this, if men were required to perform the same as women, i.e. 120 lb individual carrying 80 lbs of equipment, men would drop like frigging flies. (A 220 lb guy would have to carry about 150 lbs.) That does not take into account the differences in lean body mass of men vs. women. I have carried more than 150 lbs (moose quarter) and can attest to the fact that it is tough.
    Personally, if women want to be in combat, they should be assigned to all-women combat units. Equal but separate is not unreasonable. They would have the same opportunity to die as the guys. But hey, women are just gay guys with tits, right?

4. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,167
    I can't bring myself to care about this very much.

It's no skin off my back whether or not women get the right to be shot at in battle.

5. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,493
    It's one way of reducing unemployment stats.

6. Wehrwolfen

Wehrwolfen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +342
    Wow just imagine GI Jane is now expected to be in a foxhole near you. She'll fight along side you, suffer in the mud and grime, shower with you when the opportunity is offered, and utilize the same slit trench to relieve herself as you. Don't forget that 75lb rucksack that has to be carried for miles. In the Stan that's 2 miles above sea level. There you go Jane do t.

7. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,340
    Women not applying for Navy Seals or Green Berets...
    [​IMG]
    A Year In, No Female SEAL Applicants, Few for SpecOps
    Feb 15, 2017 | It has been more than 12 months since training pipelines for previously closed elite special operator jobs opened to women.

8. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,340
    Born in a Siberian prison. Orphaned at age 2. Adopted by Americans at age 4...
    [​IMG]
    Female Marine Trailblazer Graduates From Infantry School
    March 23, 2017 — Marine Pfc. Maria Daume's life story reads as if she came straight from the pages of a superhero comic.

9. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,379
    Herodotus talks about the Amazons of the Black Sea region, as does Homer in the Iliad. So the issue of females in combat roles goes back to ancient antiquity. Israeli, N.Vietmanese, and Russian women have served in their combat military over the century as well. So this issue is current as well.

I know the USMC personnel are somewhat upset about it, although the brass has been directed by the Pentagon to proceed with it.

When I was in, decades ago, there were female RTO's broadcasting over the tactical net and their voices were quite pleasant on a radio check in the middle of the night. That was an HQ job in a tent farm though, with vehicles and support facilities.

Carrying a heavy pack with the grunts is not an easy job however. And the periodic illness that females undergo interferes with combat readiness during deployment.

So it does not seem like a good idea to me. But the generals seem to have decided to go with this anyway. Probably a big political issue.

10. playtime

playtime Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,162
    just an FYI... that 'periodic illness' as you described it... can be medically controlled to the point of virtual non existence. it is not an issue.