Women Activists Speak Out Against Sharia

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
but is anyone listening to their wisdom and outrage?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...37&t=TS_Home&DPL=IvsNDS/7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

Activists speak out against sharia
Trio of women under threat

Dutch writer sees dire results ahead

PATRICK EVANS AND SIKANDER HASHMI
STAFF REPORTERS

Three women facing death threats appeared in public under heavy security last night to denounce a provincial move that would allow Muslims here to settle family disputes in accordance with religious laws, outside the court system.

The activists, including Dutch parliamentarian Ayaan Hirsi Ali, say the religious laws known as sharia discriminate against women. "Why, if you have equal rights in Canada, would you take them away from Muslim women?" Hirsi Ali asked.

She was joined by Homa Arjomand and Irshad Manji in a University of Toronto auditorium for an event in support of the International Campaign Against Sharia Court in Canada.

Hirsi Ali scripted a controversial film on women and Islam called Submission, whose director, Theo van Gogh, was killed on an Amsterdam street last November because of its critical view of how Muslim women are treated within their religion. The Dutch-born Muslim later convicted left a note pinned to van Gogh's body with a knife, threatening Hirsi Ali's life.

Arjomand, who fled Iran in 1989, heads the campaign to stop sharia in Ontario.
continue article @ link

Abbey Normal said:
Brave women, with huge targets on their backs, I'm afraid.

And where are the feminists on this one? I think I hear crickets chirping.

they're getting louder too... just like when the feminists said jack about liberating the women of afghanistan and iraq from the terror of the taliban and saddam.

Forum List

Back