Woman's gun may have saved her life

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Farmington Hills Police Chief William Dwyer stands with the woman who saved herself from being a victim of an armed robbery by using a gun she carried legally. The woman, named Angela, asked that her last name and hometown be withheld to protect her identity. Dwyer is holding the 9-millimeter handgun the suspect carried. -The Daily Oakland Press / STEPHEN FRYE

Four years ago, she was helpless as a man robbed her at gunpoint. On Friday, legally armed with a handgun, she may have saved her life.
And Farmington Hills Police Chief William Dwyer, who dreaded a change in the law in 2001 to make it easier to receive a concealed weapons permit, admits that he's changing his mind about that law.

Dwyer said the woman could easily have been killed after she was targeted by a couple looking for an easy score. They were waiting at 6:30 a.m. outside an office building at the southeast corner of 12 Mile and Drake roads.

Angela, a married mother of two, was arriving at the office where she has worked for six years. She asked that her last name and hometown not be made public.

She saw a car in the lot that she did not recognize, with two people inside, putting her on her guard. When she left her car, a man got out of that car and walked toward her.

He passed the entrance to the building and continued toward her. The man came within 10 feet of her, and she knew she had to act.

"I didn't get a chance to get in the office," she said. "He had his hands in his pocket with his hood pulled up. I opened my purse and pulled my gun out.

"I felt my life was in trouble. The first instinct was to pull out my gun."

The man turned tail and walked away, and the car pulled up to him near the roadway. He jumped in and they drove off.

No shots were fired.

Dwyer said there was "no question" she was in trouble.

"She took the appropriate action," Dwyer said. "She probably saved her life. She is a very fortunate young lady. (Also) she did an excellent job as far as giving a description of the vehicle and the suspect. She's a very courageous young lady."

Her calm demeanor and quick thinking - she called police from her cell phone immediately after the suspect drove off - led police to the man and his female accomplice within a minute of the robbery attempt, Dwyer said.

He said the couple - a 21-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman from Detroit - would be charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery.

Police confiscated a loaded 9 mm handgun from the couple's car. The man has several outstanding warrants and the woman was convicted for receiving stolen property.

Later Friday, Dwyer said a 28-year-old Southfield woman who knows Angela had been arrested for setting up her robbery.

Police are seeking a fourth suspect.

Dwyer, who as head of the state's police chief's association opposed the change in state law that made it easier for residents without criminal backgrounds to carry guns, acknowledges that the law has saved at least one person.

"I always said the CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon permit) legislation is somewhat controversial," he said. "I'm certainly rethinking it."

He credited her for taking the appropriate training and, equally important, using common sense.

"I'm just a woman," Angela said. "You hear about things like this. I didn't want to be a victim again."

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/03202004/pol_20040320011.shtml

This happens way more than you read about in the papers. The NRA estimates that guns prevent about 2 million crimes a year. Their numbers are probably a little high, but even if you half their estimate, that's one million crimes a year averted by people packing heat.

outstanding!! :clap:
another sensless criminal denied his past time by a LEGALLY armed citizen.

Kick ass. I love stories like that. I do think that the NRA sometimes exaggerates somewhat in their statistics involving the number of crimes averted by legally armed citizens, but it's inspiring when we hear about it.

Originally posted by Syntax_Divinity
Kick ass. I love stories like that. I do think that the NRA sometimes exaggerates somewhat in their statistics involving the number of crimes averted by legally armed citizens, but it's inspiring when we hear about it.
So are you in favor of private gun ownership and concealed weapons laws?

Yes. I'm a big second amendment kind of guy. I own two pistols, a 16 gauge Remmington, and a .22 rifle. I live in the state of Indiana, where it's fairly easy to get a concealed carry permit, and I applied for mine about a month ago. I should have in within a week or two.

Yes. I'm a big second amendment kind of guy. I own two pistols, a 16 gauge Remmington, and a .22 rifle. I live in the state of Indiana, where it's fairly easy to get a concealed carry permit, and I applied for mine about a month ago. I should have in within a week or two.
Cool, good for you. I have many guns myself.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Cool, good for you. I have many guns myself.
i was thinking of applying but the only time i actually carry is when im hunting. been harrased by dogs before. dotn want to waste the shotgun shell!
but early morning store owners get kinda giddy when i come in with a sidearm for some reason

Yeah, my Dad often carries his .347 Magnum Combat Commander on his hip around town. This thing is a freakin' cannon. It weirds some people out, but the culture is different in southern Indiana. A lot, I'd say the majority of us, are hunters and gun owners.

Yeah, my Dad often carries his .347 Magnum Combat Commander on his hip around town. This thing is a freakin' cannon. It weirds some people out, but the culture is different in southern Indiana. A lot, I'd say the majority of us, are hunters and gun owners.

.347??? is there a new handgun i'm not aware of?

hey Syntax, ive noticed you have to give a reason for carrying concealed. what was your reason? im trying to think of one but im drawing blanks

I'm a tae kwon do instructor, and I sometimes have to carry large amounts of cash for the dojo. That's what I told the police, and I applied for a "personal protection" concealed carry permit.

lol
damn, dont think i can use that one!
have a few friends in law enforcement, ill have to get with them and see what would be the easiest way to go about it. that or there is a crazy gun dealer not too far away too, thats where i baught my shotgun at. hes a nut, hed be able to let me know

Forum List

Back