Woman Who Falsely Cried Rape Convicted of Manslaughter

Didn't the guy who founded Oracle buy a Russian fighter jet? There is going to be an on-going arguement over this issue because, frankly, the right to bear arms is more a question of keeping power in the hands of the people instead of the government. Only a couple of hours away from you there are places where only the government and it's military have guns. I suggest you visit one of those places and look at their history of junta's and ever changing governments and ask why it is that the common person gets screwed continually there.
After we kicked out Noriega I spent a year in Panama assessing their transportation infrastructure. It was easy to see how that little pissant colonel could take over and rob that country blind when you realize that it was only his illiterate jungle boys who carried around the guns. He'd place them in villages where they had no ties, no relatives, with an automatic weapon and everyone had to do what they said. They had to give him food, shelter, and any woman he wanted and they couldn't do a thing about it. One person with a small handgun could have tipped the balance of power, but they did not exist. That is the majority of the world we live in. Not the Disney land we live in here in the U.S.

And that scenario is precisely why our founding fathers felt it was so important to provide citizens with the right to bear arms. British soldiers could commandeer any home they like and force the family to provide them with shelter, provisions, whatever.

You don't ever want a populace that is at the complete mercy of the military. EVER.

You you're saying we have the right to carry around our own Arms? SO, a firearm is not considered an "arm"? What dictionary are you reading?
"Arm" is a variable and vague term. Considering a fire-ARM is considered a ARM, it is covered under this amenment.

I'm having a flashback to the stupid assertion that we have the right to "arms" but not to "ammunition" since "ammunition" isn't "arms".

Sheesh.

I never said that you only have the rights listed in the Bill of rights. Well, IMO the Constitution may give us the right to bear arms, but it does not forbid the government from regulating them.

When I compared regulating gun's with regulating cars, you said "The difference between driving and firearms is that the Constitution doesn't garauntee you're right to drive. The Constitution does garauntee the right to own a firearm." That does imply an enumerated rights limitation, but sorry if I misunderstood.

But the more important question is whether the 2nd Amendment is absolute, and which regulations (if any) are valid. Thus I wrote, "Do you agree that there are valid exceptions, such as bans on automatic weapons, cannons, grenades, missles, sawed-off shotguns and bazookas [and an] Apache helicopter? And if the 2d Amendment does not invalidate those restrictions, why should it invalidate rules that ensure people who own guns are properly trained in their use?

That's the difficult question that was ignored for days, until I bumped the thread.
_______
BTW - I don't advocate a total ban. Anone wanting to make that accusation should re-read the thread.

When I compared regulating gun's with regulating cars, you said "The difference between driving and firearms is that the Constitution doesn't garauntee you're right to drive. The Constitution does garauntee the right to own a firearm." That does imply an enumerated rights limitation, but sorry if I misunderstood.

But the more important question is whether the 2nd Amendment is absolute, and which regulations (if any) are valid. Thus I wrote, "Do you agree that there are valid exceptions, such as bans on automatic weapons, cannons, grenades, missles, sawed-off shotguns and bazookas [and an] Apache helicopter? And if the 2d Amendment does not invalidate those restrictions, why should it invalidate rules that ensure people who own guns are properly trained in their use?

That's the difficult question that was ignored for days, until I bumped the thread.
_______
BTW - I don't advocate a total ban. Anone wanting to make that accusation should re-read the thread.

The second amendment says the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. A totally subjective "competence test" is infringement. We have historical and legal precedent to back that up. No "test" is legal because a "test" will be subjective no matter who writes it and who enforces it.

Declaring felons can not own weapons is not subjective. A felon is convicted in a court of law by his peers. Declaring one can not own a weapon because of being "committed" also is not subjective, since the requirement is not simply having been in a mental institute, the requirement is that one be placed there by a COURT order, again a process that provides one with due process.

However the current policy of banning people with non felony family disturbance is in my opinion illegal. It is vague and encompasses to many things with no due process. It does not rise to the level of removing a right promised as not being able to be Infringed.

_______

I draw the line at weapons of mass casualties. Sure, you can cause mass casualties with a hand-gun, but it'll take you alot longer to do so than with an Apache Helicopter, or thermo-nuclear device. I see nothing wrong with a law-abiding citizen having an automatic firearm, however, I agree with current gun laws that (at Texas at least) require someone to apply for a liscence to own an automatic firearm. I wouldn't suggest letting a 18 year-old with juvenile correction time should be allowed to own a firearm.

IMO, the 10th Amendment grants the right to regulate firearms to the state. Powers not delegated to Fed. gov. nor prohibited by the Constitution are reserved to the states. Since the Constitution does not prohibit the regulation of firearms, I believe the state should have the power to regulate firearms. Our government is wise in doing so, ensuring that a "well-regulated" militia does not form and have the capabilities to rebell and succeed against the government....essentially, they have better toys than we do.

_______

Excellent question. There might be hope for you yet.

IS the Constitution absolute? Obviously it is not. Just as obviously, it depends on who is making what argument.

As far as the Second Amendment goes, common sense needs to prevail. Unfortunately, too people refuse to accept common sense as an arbiter because it can't be written in stone.

While the 2nd DOES state the right to ownership shall not be infringed, it does not state that the right cannot be regulated. Every one of our fundamnetal rights are regulated. It's common sense that firearms should be regulated for the basic reason that it is unlawful for certain persons to possess them. It doesn't amke sense to deny certain individuals, based on the consequences of their actions, the right to bear arms if someone isn't checking out who is buying and owning the guns.

It is an inconvenience to an individual's time to have to undergo background checks but IMO does not infringe one's right to own a firearm.

I don't go as far as you with the madatory training junk, but I do think an effort has to be made to ensure only law-abiding citizens legally purchase and possess firearms.

I also think that if you cannot justify using the rule of common sense possessing an AT-TOW launcher, you shouldn't have one. At some point the safety of the community has to supercede the rights of the individual. A weapon like that could unintentionally take out a house. Maybe the guy is sorry but the fact remains the house and it's contents to include people are gone.

Excellent question. There might be hope for you yet.

IS the Constitution absolute? Obviously it is not. Just as obviously, it depends on who is making what argument.

As far as the Second Amendment goes, common sense needs to prevail. Unfortunately, too people refuse to accept common sense as an arbiter because it can't be written in stone.

While the 2nd DOES state the right to ownership shall not be infringed, it does not state that the right cannot be regulated. Every one of our fundamnetal rights are regulated. It's common sense that firearms should be regulated for the basic reason that it is unlawful for certain persons to possess them. It doesn't amke sense to deny certain individuals, based on the consequences of their actions, the right to bear arms if someone isn't checking out who is buying and owning the guns.

It is an inconvenience to an individual's time to have to undergo background checks but IMO does not infringe one's right to own a firearm.

I don't go as far as you with the madatory training junk, but I do think an effort has to be made to ensure only law-abiding citizens legally purchase and possess firearms.

I also think that if you cannot justify using the rule of common sense possessing an AT-TOW launcher, you shouldn't have one. At some point the safety of the community has to supercede the rights of the individual. A weapon like that could unintentionally take out a house. Maybe the guy is sorry but the fact remains the house and it's contents to include people are gone.

Exactly, you have the priviledge of driving (given you pass requirements), however, even you're driving is regulated. Example :Speed limit, eye-sight, type of car--> You can't drive a stock car down the road. And you're exactly correct about AT-TOW launchers and similar weapons. One poster mentioned a while back that he would have no problem allowing law-abiding citizens to have nuclear weapons...:cuckoo: However, this weapons seriously endangers communities, cities, states, nation, etc... If a firearm accidently discharges, you might have a casualty. If a nuclear weapon is discharged accidentally or purposefully, thousand/millions will die instantly. The ability of a firearm/weapon to cause mass casualties is why you don't see weapons "apache gunships" being owned by civilians. Good Post Gunny

Why do all of the conservatives disappear when I ask a difficult question?
:rolleyes:

We all have lives, Dogger ... even, I suspect, you. You need to lighten up some. Try boxers .... they don't keep a squeeze going.:rofl:

In fairness to me, I did let the thread sit for 3.5 days before I bumped it. And bumping usually needs a little provocation to be effective, as the renewed debate might suggest.

But I don't have a webcam, so your comment about my underwear is a little disconcerting. :redface:

Liberals never think other people's lives are worth living, if they don't have access to every priviliege known to man.

If you're not a liberal, Ali, you are not qualified to speak for them, particularly for all liberals.

Plus your adding in "every" is another sign of partisan pandering. Does this include women as well? :eusa_doh:

In fairness to me, I did let the thread sit for 3.5 days before I bumped it. And bumping usually needs a little provocation to be effective, as the renewed debate might suggest.

But I don't have a webcam, so your comment about my underwear is a little disconcerting. :redface:

:rofl:

Not to worry. I don't have one either.

Forum List

Back