Woman shot at 3 times in gun controlled Britain....

This is an interesting take on guns by a Brit ex-pat on US TV, worth watching all 20 minutes to get an insight into why 2aguy keeps posting this nonsense.

Do you realize that the NRA teaches police, citizens and children how to be safe around guns....they have likely saved more lives than you can imagine, since their gun safety education keeps people safe, their firearm instructors teach police and military, you know, the first responders who actually stop mass shooters?

The ignorance and stupidity of this guy is amazing, he doesn't actually understand the gun issues or the NRA. Does he understand that after the democrats were forced to give up their black slaves, it was the NRA who helped the freed slaves stay safe from the democrat kkk?

The NRA is both a gun safety organization and the first Civil Rights organization...but that twit doesn't understand that.

Have their been any gun related deaths in the US during this period ?

Yes...so? Your country banned and confiscated guns and your gun crime rates are going up.

More Americans now own and carry guns for self defense and our gun crime rate went down 75%.... our gun murder rate dropped 49%.... our violent crime rate went down 72%... See the difference?
For what purpose do you have the police in your country?

To enforce the law; not to prevent crime. In America crime deterrence lies mainly in the hands of citizens. Don't let your car running while you're not in it. Internal and external timed lights cycling while on vacation. Strong doors, good locks, security systems, dogs, neighborhood watch groups and vigilant neighbors--all measures Americans take to reduce chances of becoming victims. And lastly, many of us own, carry, maintain and train with a variety of firearms.

I reside in a small town twenty miles north of one of the highest crime rate cities in America. While the county sheriff's main precinct is two miles west, response times can vary wildly. Our county is largely rural with population centers spread out between highways and state roads meaning sheriff's deputies on duty at any given moment could be patrolling one mile away or thirty from my complex.

There's a very high risk involved in relying on the timely arrival of a sheriff's deputy to save a life from violent crime in progress. Relying on personal defensive weapons owned by myself and neighbors dramatically increases chances for survival.

I cannot imagine living in a place where adequate means of defending family and self have been prohibited. I would never live or raise a family in such a place.
I understand that distances in the US are much longer than in Europe in most cases. And one may need much more time to get help. In this case owning a firearm is quite understandable. But the gun laws in the US are too loose I think. I have heard that you can easily buy an assault riffle like M16 in a gun shop. Is that true?

Yes...so? Your country banned and confiscated guns and your gun crime rates are going up.

More Americans now own and carry guns for self defense and our gun crime rate went down 75%.... our gun murder rate dropped 49%.... our violent crime rate went down 72%... See the difference?
Good question since the US Supreme Court ruled that the police have no legal obligation to come to the aid of anyone.
Great. It is a new meaning of 'to serve and protect' thing.

To enforce the law; not to prevent crime. In America crime deterrence lies mainly in the hands of citizens. Don't let your car running while you're not in it. Internal and external timed lights cycling while on vacation. Strong doors, good locks, security systems, dogs, neighborhood watch groups and vigilant neighbors--all measures Americans take to reduce chances of becoming victims. And lastly, many of us own, carry, maintain and train with a variety of firearms.

I reside in a small town twenty miles north of one of the highest crime rate cities in America. While the county sheriff's main precinct is two miles west, response times can vary wildly. Our county is largely rural with population centers spread out between highways and state roads meaning sheriff's deputies on duty at any given moment could be patrolling one mile away or thirty from my complex.

There's a very high risk involved in relying on the timely arrival of a sheriff's deputy to save a life from violent crime in progress. Relying on personal defensive weapons owned by myself and neighbors dramatically increases chances for survival.

I cannot imagine living in a place where adequate means of defending family and self have been prohibited. I would never live or raise a family in such a place.
I understand that distances in the US are much longer than in Europe in most cases. And one may need much more time to get help. In this case owning a firearm is quite understandable. But the gun laws in the US are too loose I think. I have heard that you can easily buy an assault riffle like M16 in a gun shop. Is that true?

An M-16 is a select fire weapon; depending on model, it fires semi-auto and full or three round burst. No. The average American cannot purchase a select fire weapon.

The average civilian can buy a semiautomatic weapon which is incapable of fully automatic or burst fire.

A semiautomatic firearm cam only fire one round for each trigger pull. Now a semiautomatic rifle can be made to look like and M-16 but that's about it. We have droves of idiots who think that a plastic doodad on a semiautomatic rifle (like a pistol grip) makes that semiautomatic rifle deadlier than other semiautomatic rifles

No..... Americans generally can't own an actual military rifle, you need a special license for that. What they can own are AR-15 rifles which is functionallly no different from any other semi automatic rifle or pistol.....

And what difference would it make if Americans actually could easily buy M-16 or M-4 rifles, the military rifles that have select fire capability?

No..... Americans generally can't own an actual military rifle, you need a special license for that. What they can own are AR-15 rifles which is functionallly no different from any other semi automatic rifle or pistol.....

And what difference would it make if Americans actually could easily buy M-16 or M-4 rifles, the military rifles that have select fire capability?
For what reason? Is there a need for them especially in cities?

An AR-15 is a good, general rifle that can be used for self defense, hunting, and competition. It allows people of different body sizes to use it easily, and especially women who sometimes can't use a shotgun as well as the AR-15. A pistol is good because it can be carried, but sometimes you need more than a pistol for self defense.... a major natural disaster where the police are over burdened, or even just for plain home defense.... criminals facing a woman with a .38 snub nose may try to push the encounter, facing a woman with an AR-15 they are more likely to run away.

An AR-15 is a good, general rifle that can be used for self defense, hunting, and competition. It allows people of different body sizes to use it easily, and especially women who sometimes can't use a shotgun as well as the AR-15. A pistol is good because it can be carried, but sometimes you need more than a pistol for self defense.... a major natural disaster where the police are over burdened, or even just for plain home defense.... criminals facing a woman with a .38 snub nose may try to push the encounter, facing a woman with an AR-15 they are more likely to run away.
As far as I can understand, AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle, while M16 is a modification of this rifle for army and is a selective-fire rifle. In my opinion there must be full prohibition of selective-fire rifles being sold to civilians. If we are talking about semi-automatic rifles, I cant say for sure. I think that a handgun will be enough in absolutely most cases.
Frankly, l wouldnt want to live in a society where people need to openly carry rifles and even handguns for self-protection. In remote rural areas that would be understandable and ok. In cities certanly not. I am not a great fan of big government, but I think that protection of people is duty of a state. If the state cant do this function, then there are little reasons for existing such a state.

As far as I can understand, AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle, while M16 is a modification of this rifle for army and is a selective-fire rifle. In my opinion there must be full prohibition of selective-fire rifles being sold to civilians. If we are talking about semi-automatic rifles, I cant say for sure. I think that a handgun will be enough in absolutely most cases.
Frankly, l wouldnt want to live in a society where people need to openly carry rifles and even handguns for self-protection. In remote rural areas that would be understandable and ok. In cities certanly not. I am not a great fan of big government, but I think that protection of people is duty of a state. If the state cant do this function, then there are little reasons for existing such a state.

There are over 8 million AR-15 rifles in private hands in the U.S. ..... and over 16 million semi automatic rifles in general, and even those numbers are low..... Law Abiding Americans are not using these rifles for crime so where is the problem in ownership? There are many Americans with the license needed to own fully automatic rifles, and in Switzerland, those are the rifles they keep in their homes..... where is the problem with ownership?

Americans use their legal guns both at home and in public to stop 2.4 million rapes, robberies and murders according to the CDC ...... so they aren't the problem.

If you want to reduce gun crime more than it is already being reduced here in the states..... you have to stop the democrats from letting out known, violent, repeat gun offenders from jail and prison.... our gun crime is not being caused by law abiding gun owners who carry guns or who own semi or fully automatic rifles. It is being caused by people who already can't buy, own or carry guns, who have long criminals records for violence and crime, and who are being let out of jail in under 3 years after repeated gun offenses... that isn't on the law abiding gun owners, that is on the democrat party.

And another point you should know.....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

There are over 8 million AR-15 rifles in private hands in the U.S. ..... and over 16 million semi automatic rifles in general, and even those numbers are low..... Law Abiding Americans are not using these rifles for crime so where is the problem in ownership? There are many Americans with the license needed to own fully automatic rifles, and in Switzerland, those are the rifles they keep in their homes..... where is the problem with ownership?

Americans use their legal guns both at home and in public to stop 2.4 million rapes, robberies and murders according to the CDC ...... so they aren't the problem.

If you want to reduce gun crime more than it is already being reduced here in the states..... you have to stop the democrats from letting out known, violent, repeat gun offenders from jail and prison.... our gun crime is not being caused by law abiding gun owners who carry guns or who own semi or fully automatic rifles. It is being caused by people who already can't buy, own or carry guns, who have long criminals records for violence and crime, and who are being let out of jail in under 3 years after repeated gun offenses... that isn't on the law abiding gun owners, that is on the democrat party.

And another point you should know.....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.
It is good that it has helped your country to significantly low crime. And hope this will be long-standing trend. But such significant number of guns in private hands can lead to negative consiquences I think.

Forum List

Back